The awesome Dr Kay Ross is moving on from Elite & Frontier onto a stage of their life :)

...and then there is this.

By "cluelessness", however, I meant that he seems to be unaware that the Stella Forge wouldn't exist without Dr Kay Ross. Both the Stella Forge and Dr Kay Ross are unique to the (existing!) game world and cannot simply be replaced. Have fun watching the fruits of future newcomers who get to tinker with the heart of the game.
Honestly, I doubt there will be much tinkering. I have now been on checks codex 215 EDO planets and I am pretty confident it's a fine platform to build on. More atmo/water/elw planets will need less astro-physists and more artists and game designers, at this point.

Just my two cents.

What a disrespectful pile of cluelessness.

I make no indictment or insinuation that losing Ross will improve things, could be quite the opposite. Not my point at all. Only that FD clearly needs fresh talent. If Ross was a shining star on their staff, this may spark some reflection towards change. Sometimes a key member walking away from a team turns out to be a blessing. If you want to read my opinion as some personal charge against a person I know nothing about, nor claim to, you're free to do so. 🤷‍♂️

Best to just ignore the 'dev expert using random terms he found on reddit' types.

"switching to heightmaps" :LOL:

Someone with experience in graphics did an analysis of both EDH/EDO planet tech and the differences. EDH's method was something I did not understand (I do webapps, not graphics), but EDO's was indeed heightmap. It doesn't take an expert to look at the hills/mountains in EDO and recognize it's heightmap generated.

Source: https://youtu.be/dIc0WPY63hY?t=102

Have fun watching the fruits of future newcomers who get to tinker with the heart of the game.

Fresh talent may very well make things worse, but seeing as it is fact that ED is on the decline, I'd rather see a gamble with change than stick with the downward slope we currently have.

o7

Last edited:
The stellar forge is simply one of the greatest achievements in gaming history. I've played a lot of games the past 30 years, and there's nothing that impressed me more than this.

Of course it's no surprise a lot of people here are already using the fact she's leaving as some kind of validation for their own views or theories about the game.

I'm not gonna get into all that nonsense. I just wanna say 8,5 years on one game is a long run. I can understand she wants to go looking for a new challenge, wish her all the best, and most of all: I'd would like to thank her for re-creating the marvel that is our galaxy in such detail.

The stellar forge is simply one of the greatest achievements in gaming history. I've played a lot of games the past 30 years, and there's nothing that impressed me more than this.

Of course it's no surprise a lot of people here are already using the fact she's leaving as some kind of validation for their own views or theories about the game.

I'm not gonna get into all that nonsense. I just wanna say 8,5 years on one game is a long run. I can understand she wants to go looking for a new challenge, wish her all the best, and most of all: I'd would like to thank her for re-creating the marvel that is our galaxy in such detail.
Well said.

To put my own spin on it (because that's what forums are for!)...

Frontier is likely continuing a tradition of having excellent staff build excellent foundations...and not establishing talent to continue that strong work. As evidenced by many other great achievements and features that were launched and forgotten.

Edit: For Clarification...

I wish Dr. Kay the best, she certainly deserves it. That said, I'm more interested in who will take up her work - which I think we can (mostly) agree is foundational and necessary to the continued development of what makes Elite, well, Elite.

Last edited:
FD clearly needs some fresh blood. ... Things have been declining for some time now, any change offers the possibility of improvement.
Just after a software's release during the bug fixing phase any change in the team usually means serious setbacks and very bad things for said software's state for a long time.

While I wish the best for Ross, this isn't some beloved sports team where I'm rooting for player I enjoy watching. It's a company making products.
I think you confuse the way to create a gaming software which is as much art as science and math, with the way a company should handle a "live service game" as a business. I'd say EDO's faults are from the latter (project/resource management) and not from the former.

I'd say the reverse. If you go to a mechanic for months on end and he can't seem to fix the issue, it's time to find a new mechanic.
That's true, but a very bad analogy here.

Dr. Kay Ross and so many other persons have contributed greatly to making my absolute favorite game possible. And I know that I don't always show my appreciation, like when EDO first came out. At that point, I wrote some things I surely regret now. I absolutely don't regret all the countless hours I have spent playing ED or the time I have spent on this forum, with this wonderful community.

I am tremendously grateful to Dr. Kay Ross, I admire Dr Kay Ross and all the other exceptionally talented persons behind the magic that is ED. I am very sorry to see Dr. Ross go. I wish Dr. Ross and all of her loved ones the very best of times, health, success and happiness. May Dr. Ross live out all her dreams. o7 CMDR Ross!

Last edited:
Honestly, I doubt there will be much tinkering. I have now been on checks codex 215 EDO planets and I am pretty confident it's a fine platform to build on. More atmo/water/elw planets will need less astro-physists and more artists and game designers, at this point.

Just my two cents.
I'd have to disagree with that. The smart way to create varied and good looking worlds with weather(ing) and water would be to actually measure the peaks and valleys, pour water on it, then throw some wind at it and let the process decide where stuff grows and stuff wears down. Otherwise you might end up with a bunch of repeating stamps.....

It's the ambition and the inspiration of the Stellar Forge that has always been the main attraction for ED. Something to be truly proud of and for us to be immensely grateful for.

Thank you just isn't enough Dr Ross.

Top Bottom