What other games are we all playing?

That said, there's nothing wrong borrowing good ideas from other games. I'd love to see Elite borrow things from X4, Subnautica, Space Engineers, and No Man's Sky, for example, but I'd be just as happy if Space Engineers borrowed from NMS, or NMS and X4 borrowed from Elite. I'm talking about small things, like X4's economy and NPC crew, Subnautica and SE's "space legs" (and someday Subnautica's simple but joyful base-building), etc.

Ironically Elite did become "something else" with Odyssey (a FPS in the vein of DUST 514) rather than borrow these other things I suggest above that would have made Elite a better version of itself.
The problem is that each person's idea of what is the best version of ED can vary enormously.

There re an insane number of things going on in Warships this weekend. Check the forums for a metric boatload of bonus codes.

One of the things is a double XP for each ship weekend.

There goes my NMS session. I have eighty ships to claim bonuses on...

I got distracted by KSP in August (again :rolleyes:)
Then I switched to Stellaris for a while,
got distracted by Banished (only some more years to reach 900 pop sigh),
and now I play through the Metro redux series after reading Gluchowskis book.

My ongoing disillusionment with R* games lately has peaked over their record deja vu in re-releasing of GTA5. Yong Yea was the latest YTer to flog the fan boi disenfranchisement with R* lately.

But to be fair, a lot of the credit for the fan base PR fallout must go to Take Two, R*s ultra facist, demonic, sue happy publisher. Especially since Tw@t Two appears poised to surpass the Exceptional As.$h._@ts Guiness Book Records for corporate toxicity and fan base exploitation.

Seriously. Just when you thought no other AAA dev could stoop any lower than Bugthesda milking the TES franchise dry with Skyrim, along comes R*....

FailRstar.jpg

The almighty help anyone mental enough to lampoon or satire GTA franchise decaying state of affairs. Because Tw@t Two has grown hyper sensitive to all the PR fallout it has justly earned to date. And while I'm not against a publisher/dev making money for shareholders, I draw a line on a billionaire AAA publisher--with vast legal resources at its disposal--throwing its weight around in bullying the fan base.

As a result of Tw@t Two's increasing micromanagmenet of it's flagship GTA franchise (which has earned them industry breaking billions to date) R* as a dev has experienced a seismic changing of the guard. An ominous portend for those of us single player vets, who grew up on high quality single player GTA. Long before it became a console centric MMO cash cow.

And thanks to Tw@t Two's corporate heavy handed meddling, R* has lost the essence of their dev team. This is 15+ year vets who were visionary/innovative geniuses (likes of an orignal founder Leslie Benzies). And diabolically infamous execs (likes of Jeronimo Barrera VP Production). Despite the criminal freak show Barerra was, he (like Benzies) was actually paramount to R*s prolific production of all franchise titles that got released in 2000 - 2008. From Max Payne, LA Norie, to Bully, to all legacy GTA II - GTA IV games. Now with the departures of these senior (and junior veteran) personnel, the future of the #SavePlayer1 is in grave doubt. As once consumer friendly AAA devs the likes of Bugthesda are no longer hiding the fact they've drank the Kool Aid. And bartered their souls to the Gods of Wall Street.

But there appears to be a tiny sliver of hope left on the horizon. When Benzies departed R*, he bascially took a small remnant of old school devs with him. Founded an Indie company called Build a Rocket Boy Games. And is currently working on a new open world, space themed game callea Everywhere.

So remaining cautiously optimistic for future. If successful, this new franchise could become an industry disruptor. Finally provide a serious challenger to likes of Bugthesda's Starfield. And possibly even the Fallout franchise. And so would present a potential market threat to AAA franchises like GTA as well. Something which didn't go unnoticed by Tw@t Two. But thankfully, Tw@t failed in its attempts with their ongoing legal shennigans to legally bully Benzies and his company into submission. The way they've gotten away with censoring, #CancelCulturing the fanbase, and negative mainstream/social media coverage to date.

So here's to hoping Leslie Benzies can pull off this maveric sci-fi gambit. No trailers, documentation, or any type of social media PR on the game as yet. Which is a sound strategy to date. Only release something when you've got something of substance. And work your ass off completing/improving on, or expanding the concept. Hello Games and recently CDPR have had to learn that lesson the extremely painful way.

Anyhow, bookmarking Leslie's company site. Watching their tw@t and other social media feeds for the holiday season. With luck, we just might get a short teaser trailer as a Christmas present :(

/end of single player vet gamer rant>

Anyone play American Truck Simulator? (nothing wrong with ets, its just older and the bad stuff crosses the line of too bad).

Just out of circumstance probably playing more ATS than anything over the last week. I love it. Great service too if you appreciate an ongoing title.

Anyone play American Truck Simulator? (nothing wrong with ets, its just older and the bad stuff crosses the line of too bad).

Just out of circumstance probably playing more ATS than anything over the last week. I love it. Great service too if you appreciate an ongoing title.
I've got it. Have not played it yet.

Keep hoping they tie together ETS and ATS. Drive to a port in Europe, drop off trailer, pick it up in the US and drive to destination.

Do prefer ETS though, can't drive American trucks. Nose is too long 😜

Deleted member 182079

D

Playing it since launch, and it's come a long(er) way now - was a bit too barebones in the beginning but the additional maps (at a price) and the free truck additions make it a lot more meaty now, even though not quite as much as ETS2 yet. I own all the map DLC and some cosmetics stuff (which make Elite's cosmetics look pretty bad in comparison, both in terms of quality and value for money) as well. While I have a lot more hours in ETS2 (and the map is bigger as well), I like ATS for the more varied environments, great for sightseeing.

ETS2 & ATS, I have had both of these from first access. I play ETS2 still quite regularly, but have fallen away from ATS, not sure why, but just happens like that I suppose.
Both are great games, but ETS2 pinches the prize for me, in truck sims.

Deleted member 182079

D
Yeah I'd say if I had to pick I'd still go for ETS2, it feels more 'complete' - probably because it'll still be ages until we can do a proper coast-to-coast trip in ATS, and it'll cost us as each state is released as separate DLC. I still buy them though because they're consistent and good quality.

Well I had a third or so start in NMS and it's certainly grown in attraction since my last attempt. Building a base is fun, but non-rotating space stations and the ship flight model do jar. I'll probably continue my ED rest in favour of NMS, the Witcher 3 (still haven't finished), RDR2 etc.

Deleted member 182079

D
Haven't given up on ED yet and still play it every other day (switching between EDH and EDO lately), but each time I play Odyssey it puts me off more and more. Let's hope that patch 7 is making a bit of a difference in this regard but my hope is limited.

OT, just posted my recent experience with X4 in the relevant thread, but yeah I'm spending more time in that again, since I'm slowly getting to grips with how it works and am starting to make some decent (early) money now. While the flightmodel is not as good as Elite's, I like the options it provides as a space game - and I can't say I miss planetary landings at all, mind you I have NMS for that (which I haven't played since the last update yet).

MSFS is also getting more playtime again, the last update was pretty good for me in terms of visuals and performance as it fixed pretty much all the gripes I had since SU5.

Re-installed Forza Horizon 3 again (4 is also on my SSD) and it's been fun to blast around the map. Will most likely buy #5 when it's out, although it looks very much by the numbers albeit with a good looking map. I don't spend a lot of money on new games these days so may as well, given the series' excellent production values, and I'm a bit bored with the maps in 3 and 4 at this stage.

Re-installed Forza Horizon 3 again (4 is also on my SSD) and it's been fun to blast around the map. Will most likely buy #5 when it's out, although it looks very much by the numbers albeit with a good looking map. I don't spend a lot of money on new games these days so may as well, given the series' excellent production values, and I'm a bit bored with the maps in 3 and 4 at this stage.
Well, Horizon's always the better version ;)

While the flightmodel is not as good as Elite's,
This is subjective IMO, because I actually prefer X4's flight model to Elite's. The big caveat here is that I spent a lot of time customizing my controls and various settings to make X4 as close to Elite as I can (mimicking ED's 6 DoF on my controller). I will grant you that the smallest fighters can feel a bit "light", but the smallest ship I fly these days is a heavy fighter, and I love how it feels. I much prefer X4's version of FA-off to ED's, and I also prefer X4's use of a travel drive over supercruise in ED. Instead of using boost, I mapped the travel drive to my boost button, allowing me to pop in and out of TD while in combat, allowing for some fun high-speed strafing runs. It helps counter these "terminal velocity" limits that almost all space games love to place on us.

If "good" is fun, then for me X4 is better an ED as a 2D space combat game (again, after lots of tuning). If "good" is realistic, then Space Engineers has both of these games beat, though KSP probably is the clear winner (but AFAIK, KSP lacks space combat). All these games are light years ahead of NMS when it comes to flight model.

This is not to say you are wrong - I do understand why many would prefer ED to X4's flight model, I'm just saying it's subjective. Even I had to get used to X4's model (and modify it to be more Elite-like) before it really started to grow on me and eventually replace ED as my favorite.

Deleted member 182079

D
This is subjective IMO, because I actually prefer X4's flight model to Elite's. The big caveat here is that I spent a lot of time customizing my controls and various settings to make X4 as close to Elite as I can (mimicking ED's 6 DoF on my controller). I will grant you that the smallest fighters can feel a bit "light", but the smallest ship I fly these days is a heavy fighter, and I love how it feels. I much prefer X4's version of FA-off to ED's, and I also prefer X4's use of a travel drive over supercruise in ED. Instead of using boost, I mapped the travel drive to my boost button, allowing me to pop in and out of TD while in combat, allowing for some fun high-speed strafing runs. It helps counter these "terminal velocity" limits that almost all space games love to place on us.

If "good" is fun, then for me X4 is better an ED as a 2D space combat game (again, after lots of tuning). If "good" is realistic, then Space Engineers has both of these games beat, though KSP probably is the clear winner (but AFAIK, KSP lacks space combat). All these games are light years ahead of NMS when it comes to flight model.

This is not to say you are wrong - I do understand why many would prefer ED to X4's flight model, I'm just saying it's subjective. Even I had to get used to X4's model (and modify it to be more Elite-like) before it really started to grow on me and eventually replace ED as my favorite.
Actually, you're not wrong, the word I should've perhaps used is "accessible". I tried what you did in the beginning myself and tried to ape Elite's control setup (which to be fair is fairly achievable, fair play to Egosoft making it flexible enough), but then reverted back to standard controls but also playing it with M&K (I play Elite with an Xbox pad). Why - because I don't like switching controls between menus and flying the ship, and M&K feels more natural for this game in particular; I usually prefer a pad, even for FPS shooters.

I do like the functionality of the controls more in X4 though, the concept of travel, and the fact I don't really get bored during the equivalent of SC trips in X4 because there's always something else to do remotely, or I can take in the sights instead as there's actually stuff passing you by (other ships, stations, asteroids, etc.).

Each have their own strengths and weaknesses, I think I feel less comfortable in X4 during combat situations still because a) I'm not a traditional M&K player and b) I've played Elite for so long it's really left a mark w.r.t. my motoring skills. But I don't want to align the controls between both games any longer, as they both have a distinct system and 'feel' to it, so in a way I like both in their own right.

Top Bottom