Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

SWzntvV6UHVy92-RPsw3N3P_jNAVaYl2run1BT2tIjg.png

Favourite comment from the refunds thread for this

I'm sorry, I'm still confused...
2016: SQ42 to have "first chapters released"
2018: SQ42 to be "done"
2020: SQ42 to be in "beta"
2021: SQ42 to be ???
Is game development moving backwards here? I feel like a high school teacher but...
CIG, please show your work.

Yes, reinventing the wheel - it almost like none of the experiences are kinda codified. Then again, technology changes and stuff might become feasible. So they try again and fail some other reason for.
Yes and no. There is much less engineering in software development than there could be. And fewer practical, well designed, journal-grade tests for various system designs. Also because software is not as well regulated as, say, construction or chemical industries. Perhaps it should, though.

The development of a game like SC should start from something like this:

"Given what we know about distributed systems, this is your time-message budget that you can use to make your system agree on the state of the game world. Check which scenarios, interactions, game systems etc you can fit into it and to what extent. Prioritise and decide which you can leave out.". You know, like you would start with a building or a truck.

Meanwhile, it amounts to "gib cash, will improvise for a decade to realise we need to go back to the drawing board".

FCS, it takes an average of eight years to bring a new model of a car from initial designs to the market. SC already took 125% of that and it is still trying to figure out its networking basics.

Last edited:
Quote of the Day:

Filter by Squadron 42 and choose Yearly said:
There is a difference between 2 years ago and now, now we have a plan we can refer to. Stated plans are always better than 'on stage guesstimates with Powerpoint slides and assumptions'. The scope of the project is what is taking the time - you don't get amazing/mind-blowing/incredible in the same time it takes to a re-skin of last years offerings. The average time between GTA releases is 10 years and what are they but re-skins on a small map? They haven't even updated the - smash window to steal car - mechanic even though we have had immobilisers for decades now and you have to go to a cutscene to go into building still.

The work is being done, it is slowly coming together. What CIG put out is enough for testing, it is not indicative of all the work they have done to date.

Don't let your negativity blind you, go look at the Roadmap. Filter by Squadron 42 and choose 'Yearly'.

It's a known bug in 3.15 PTU...something to do with the density of the biomes on some planets. Most noticeable on Microtech or Hurston since there's a couple of different ones. Ci¬G have already said they're aware of it...I'm sure it was mentioned in one of the PTU patch notes as a known issue, can't remember which one.

Yeah, CIG certainly added plenty.
Most of them are fairly pointless...I have some of the commonly used emotes bound to my numpad keys and if there's a few variants like 'wave' 1-3 for instance, every time I press the key I get a different version...kinda works but like I said, just social fluff and nonsense...after all, if some random newbie waves at you on a train or something you don't want to appear a complete Richard and just ignore them :)

Last edited:
It's a known bug in 3.15 PTU...something to do with the density of the biomes on some planets. Most noticeable on Microtech or Hurston since there's a couple of different ones. Ci¬G have already said they're aware of it...I'm sure it was mentioned in one of the PTU patch notes as a known issue, can't remember which one.

He seems to be talking about 3.14 live. (But it seems he’s also comparing demos to live builds to a degree, so always a recipe for disappointment ;). Does say he saw denser forests in 3.12 vs 3.14 though, anecdotally).

Most of them are fairly pointless...I have some of the commonly used emotes bound to my numpad keys and if there's a few variants like 'wave' 1-3 for instance, every time I press the key I get a different version...kinda works but like I said, just social fluff and nonsense :)

Social fluff and nonsense does seem to be an important aspect of the game for some. Especially the second lifers.

Social fluff and nonsense does seem to be an important aspect of the game for some. Especially the second lifers.
It's not so much the second life thing, SC is more socially oriented is all...from global text chat to localised voip etc, it's just the way it is. I kinda like it, it allows random and perhaps new to the game solo players interact with others they meet. You can't but help meet or see other players...small playing area, no private groups or solo. It certainly helps the newbies get to grips with the game and mechanics easier. Once you're in with a group or org...unless they're pretty weird...nobody goes around saluting or waving at eachother or anything...we have Discord chat for the social thing 🤷‍♂️

It's not so much the second life thing, SC is more socially oriented is all...from global text chat to localised voip etc, it's just the way it is. I kinda like it, it allows random and perhaps new to the game solo players interact with others they meet. You can't but help meet or see other players...small playing area, no private groups or solo. It certainly helps the newbies get to grips with the game and mechanics easier. Once you're in with a group or org...unless they're pretty weird...nobody goes around saluting or waving at eachother or anything...we have Discord chat for the social thing 🤷‍♂️

We were talking about emotes though.

We were talking about emotes though.
It's still a social interaction in game, the only time I've used the emotes is with randoms I've met standing at a ship terminal or around the stations...a wave in passing to another pilot when dropping off or picking up cargo at some outpost or other...it's kinda nice... since if they're waving at you, they're generally not shooting, nor have they any intention to do so :)

Most of them are fairly pointless...I have some of the commonly used emotes bound to my numpad keys and if there's a few variants like 'wave' 1-3 for instance, every time I press the key I get a different version...kinda works but like I said, just social fluff and nonsense...after all, if some random newbie waves at you on a train or something you don't want to appear a complete Richard and just ignore them :)
All you need is a teabag animation.

I dont really get the emote thing in Odyssey, cool sure, but when are you actually gonna meet another player in a concourse if you're not actively playing together?

Top Bottom