Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
I foolishly thought they'd done this already...

Seeing as they talked it up and used it like that for the 'server meshing' test etc.

This will doubtless be good for 3.23...
Tony, over at Gardfreq, has an interesting take on this :

They split off RL testing at the beginning of the year. We did a segment on how there are too many server choices. I think this poorly worded, semi-copy-pasta paragraph should be read to mean: "We have been testing integrating the RL during the 3.23 PTU Waves and found it lacking. So the live version is going out without the RL and we'll take it back into the laboratory. Maybe we'll bring it back for 3.24. Watch for the updated Progress Tracker!"

Last edited:
I expect there will be more "Boohoohoo, this is so hard we need more time, what do we do?" from CIG in the near future. How I see it the staff just do what they are told, the design has no idea how to design and thus impossible systems are requested - and when they go live for "testing" it just doesn't work. RL got the real life treatment. Everything else will get the RL treatment. And all the fancy stuff they wasted their time on will be pulled again and again.
Maybe some day someone with balls gets to make the shots to decide to create what works and gets it done, but my personal opinion? It's too late for that. 18 months and 17 day, tops.

Tony, over at Gardfreq, has an interesting take on this :

Yeah I mean, that's how I remember it.

They announced it with the Server Meshing test:

Oct 2023

The Alpha 3.21 patch cycle debuts the Replication Layer split, which is vital to moving the Persistent Universe closer to a single shared environment between all players. This tech is a key milestone on the path to server meshing, Alpha 4.0, and beyond.

The Replication Layer split will debut in the new Preview Channel that runs alongside the live servers and lets players experience the latest technology and backend developments before they migrate to the live service.

Ran a bunch of tech preview releases on the 3.22 build:

Feb 2024

This test will have every shard with the Replication Layer split from the server.

And then the 3.23 ePTUs come along with Replication Layer 'turned on' etc. (And at certain points turned off again, because of the maelstrom of performance issues ;)).

I just assumed that stage was done, if wonky. Turns out it's not even that far along...

Morph in reasonable mode again...

image.png

As you might have seen in the recent Letter From the Chairman, our development team is in the process of outlining the necessary tasks to achieve Star Citizen's full 1.0 commercial release.

"in the process of"

"outlining"

"full 1.0"

12 years, over 700 million, and just outlining what they plan to release for a very cut down 1.0 of what they said they could deliver for 65 million.

Remember when the faithful said "I'm glad CIG are taking their time to get it right and not releasing an unfinished buggy mess like a certain other game"

And don’t many of those ships still lack the gameplay that they were sold with?

Well, a ton of them are just combat ships so they are covered. The trade ships are technically covered as you can make deliveries. Mining is in.

But yeah, there are some big ticket ships there totally missing their gameplay as well as the newsvan ship and the passenger ship(s)?

Can't wait to mix cocktails for NPCs as a stewardess on one hour flight between Stanton and Pyro!

"in the process of"

"outlining"

"full 1.0"

12 years, over 700 million, and just outlining what they plan to release for a very cut down 1.0 of what they said they could deliver for 65 million.

Remember when the faithful said "I'm glad CIG are taking their time to get it right and not releasing an unfinished buggy mess like a certain other game"
Thirteen years later, Chris is still not sure what kind of game he wants to build.

That's OK, Chris, don't rush it. Continue focusing on quality and fleshing game systems out.

Here is a list

123 out of 157 in total are available in game. Which is not bad actually.

But yes. Game, where? :D

Now compare, how many ships did they sell to backers during kickstarter and the early crowdfunding phase? Less than half of those?

How many systems did they sell to backers during that phase? 110. How many delivered? 1 incomplete and 1 in testing.

Well, a ton of them are just combat ships so they are covered. The trade ships are technically covered as you can make deliveries. Mining is in.

But yeah, there are some big ticket ships there totally missing their gameplay as well as the newsvan ship and the passenger ship(s)?

Can't wait to mix cocktails for NPCs as a stewardess on one hour flight between Stanton and Pyro!

Off the top of my head ships that are in game without their big game play part (almost everything has cargo so everything could be a cargo ship)

Exploration: Carrack, 600i Explorer, Mustang Beta, Freelancer DUR
Data Running: Star Runner, Herald
News: whatever that terrible ship is, i cant remember its name
Luxury Anything Maybe Transport: 890J, 600i Touring
Bounty Hunting (prisoner storage things): Hawk, Cutlass Blue, Avenger Stalker
AWACS or fight shot calling: Hornet Tracker, Vanguard Sentinel
Real Scanning: Terrapin

sure i probably missed something

Top Bottom