Development Update 5 - October

Does ME4 feature a 1:1 scale galaxy? No. It doesn't feature 1:1 scale star systems. And it doesn't feature 1:1 scale planets either. Elite Dangerous is slightly more complex and no other current game engine would even be capable to run it without major rewriting which probably results in all kinds of errors.
That doesn't mean Odyssey can't run better, it just means that you can't compare it to most other games.
Pfff... the huge galaxy is nothing more than a set of hash seeds.
Planets are hash seeds, building planets out of pre-designed patches of texture, as seen. See repeating patterns. Groundbases are recombinations of pre-designed boxes and textures... ehm... can't really get the point. It's not like that all stuff gets rebuilt from scratch for each planet in the runtime right on your graphics card. Prepared assets (e.g. textures, shapes, models) are combined and re-used over and over again. So yeah... there only few magic fairy dust to it. So the comparisson to ME4 is not sooo far away. Yes. Things were pre-built in ME4. But once you loaded into a map / and ED groundbase the generation process is over and it shouldn't matter how the map was built (loaded from storage (ME4) or assembled out of Lego-parts and then stored into RAM, when you load into the planetary scene). Once you are there and only move in the map it's no difference on which way it got into your RAM.
And as far as is read, the fps drops occur not while loading in, but while moving in the scenes... so yeah.

Last edited:
OMG MULTI LIMPET CONTROLLERS???

DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG WE HAVE BEEN WANTING THIS???

It's also encouraging that you are not done with optimisation and dealing with the performance issues. Being clear with what optimisations where done in Update 8 and what is to come in Update 9 is very welcome.

We are close to the game being playable again after ~6 months and over 8 updates. But it's no where near close to being acceptable. But I do apricate that you are on it.

Deleted member 182079

D
I'm terribly sorry for my cynicism but when I see how people get so excited about these announcements what springs to my mind is "starve them long enough, and even a mouldy breadcrumb will appear like a feast to them".

The bridge on FCs is well overdue and quite frankly should've been a feature of the Fleet Carrier release last year - in itself a pared down version of the original design - (obviously a simpler version for Horizons; I guess EDH only players will be left with nothing presumably?), or at least since EDO's release in conjunction with the station interiors. I guess it's great they're finally coming (so I'm not complaining about that) but it seems people simply have gotten used to bridgeless carrier vessels. Let's wait and see how they'll be implemented before giving standing ovations I'd say.

The limpet controller is for sure a step in the right direction, but it's ultimately just a new module and a very minor addition to the game. But what bothers me about this is how it's an addition to the rest of the limpet modules - I would've preferred it to replace the rest, and I'm almost certain the "balancing" that will be done to them will probably make them less useful than what it may appear now on paper.

Will try to keep an open mind but the way limpet controllers are handled is just stupid right now, and gimps particularly smaller ships if you want to have several types on board (for example for piracy). It should've always been a software slot, not weighing in tons in mass each and wasting several slots (especially when they don't fit the available slot since they only come in odd numbered sizes). Oh well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ever seen ME4:Andromeda? Similar setup, nice ground bases and so on. Graphics not better than EDO bun ran well on every base ps4. I can't say where EDO munches so much Calculations..
I could not agree more, there are plenty of similar titles which can run on consoles well. The graphics I’ve seen so far are easily deliverable by console. It is clearly a competence issue which seems to be confirmed with complete inability to give a robust and honest reason as to why there is such a holdup.

Planets are hash seeds, building planets out of pre-designed patches of texture, as seen. See repeating patterns. Groundbases are recombinations of pre-designed boxes and textures... ehm... can't really get the point. It's not like, that all stuff gets rebuilt from scratch for each planet in the runtime right on your graphics card. Prepared assest (e.g. textures, shapes, models) are combined and re-used over and over again. So yeah...
"Tell me that you are clueless without saying you are clueless."

:ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, must be annoying to get this kind of 'feedback' if you are a dev. I can see why they would prefer to not lose a few braincells when reading this, holy heck.

coming back to the thread subject,

i know that i´am probably a minority under the elite players because of not too entusiastic about the u8 gestures, or the upcoming fleet carrier bridge hyperspace animation sequence (which i expect to be similar to the todays existing hyperspace sequence) or even ship interieurs which in my opinion bring nothing for active gameplay (used them in X4 in the beginning, but quickly gets boring when you have seen everything). i would again vote for getting this game stable before adding additional content, ie the stuttering which is my view no problem of underperforming hardware after all the reports here, get the missions fixed ..., don´t know if the performance problems are engine related but i agree that the graphic contents available in EDO should not require high end hardware ?

Last edited:
More missions content, more interiors, more vehicles, and unexpected more tools. That's the way to build upon the really cool foundation Odyssey is.
Really looking forward to next updates!

4f0Z8uC.png

Planets are hash seeds, building planets out of pre-designed patches of texture, as seen. See repeating patterns. Groundbases are recombinations of pre-designed boxes and textures... ehm... can't really get the point. It's not like that all stuff gets rebuilt from scratch for each planet in the runtime right on your graphics card. Prepared assets (e.g. textures, shapes, models) are combined and re-used over and over again. So yeah... there only few magic fairy dust to it. So the comparisson to ME4 is not sooo far away. Yes. Things were pre-built in ME4. But once you loaded into a map / and ED groundbase the generation process is over and it shouldn't matter how the map was built (loaded from storage (ME4) or assembled out of Lego-parts and then stored into RAM, when you load into the planetary scene). Once you are there and only move in the map it's no difference on which way it got into your RAM.
And as far as is read, the fps drops occur not while loading in, but while moving in the scenes... so yeah.
Listen, I can sit stand :D in the concourse of a station, look outside the window and see a planet passing by which can also be a few hundred LS away at a different date. In real time. I can create a timelapse video and show you the movement of planetary bodies in my current star system. And this isn't just a few pixels on a skybox, I can actually enter my space ship and fly to these bodies seamlessly and watch the same body that I just left. If you think this is in any way comparable to a simple map in ME4 you either have no clue or you just completely fail to understand what makes Elite special.

Have FD said whether the new SRV will require multiple people to be effectievly used or whether it can still be fully operated by a single person?

StefanOS

Volunteer Moderator
Hello to the Team, thanks for the Info.

The Multi Limpet Controller was also on my wish list - finely its on the way -nice.

But I want to add some points on the much anticipated FLEET CARRIER interiors, hoping they maybe considered in the development!
What many players want is to cherish the VIEW alone or with friends. The jump sequence, the current system and planets nearby, arriving and leaving ships and ships that fly around.
The added picture is nice but has some limitations:
  1. the view angle is very limited, the columns are blocking the view.
  2. as we cant change the position of the fleet carrier, its possible that we cant see f.e. the beauty of the nearby planet, or a nebular.....
The picture might be realistic for a bridge, but it would be good to have a way to look in every direction. I can think of 2 solutions:
  1. besides the bridge viewpoint, the devs could add a 360° panorama viewpoint module/room (like the panorama restaurant's on some high buildings). But even with a 360° view, we could not see what is on the bottom side..
  2. therefore it would be good if we had the possibility to adjust the heading of the FC manually - to get the viewpoint that we want - and not something fixed (especially if the window we get has a narrow viewpoint as the one in the picture)
And finally - every owner wants to know which player and what player ship is on his FC....

I hope the TEAM will consider these view points.

My regards

Last edited:

Deleted member 182079

D
they couldn't have been a feature on FC release because space legs didn't exist yet.
Please note my caveat in brackets - people were (rightly) complaining about a lack of a bridge on carriers ever since they were revealed in the Beta.

Does ME4 feature a 1:1 scale galaxy? No. It doesn't feature 1:1 scale star systems. And it doesn't feature 1:1 scale planets either. Elite Dangerous is slightly more complex and no other current game engine would even be capable to run it without major rewriting which probably results in all kinds of errors.
That doesn't mean Odyssey can't run better, it just means that you can't compare it to most other games.
You make a good point WRT other games. EDO can be compared to EDH though.

After Update 9

Fleet Carrier Interiors

View attachment 271684

We previously announced that we are bringing interiors to Fleet Carriers just as we did for Megaships in Update 8. As you might imagine, this poses a greater challenge due to a number of variables. These include allowing players to transport multiple other Commanders and their ships while existing in the same social space. We are pleased to say that we are making strong progress towards this and more details can be seen below.

Fleet Carrier interiors will reflect some of the existing services you choose to add to your carrier. For example, adding a Shipyard will add the ability for players to buy ships while on foot.

New optional services will be available to carrier owners. We’ll share more on these closer to launch.

Fleet Carrier interiors will feature escape pods, meaning that any player stranded aboard another Commander’s carrier will be able to abandon ship.

Commanders will be able to experience a hyperspace jump seated inside a carrier and enjoy the view!

Further details will be announced soon - we hope you will join us for a very special VIP Fleet Carrier tour in December!
This looks like a first step towards full-fledged ship interiors. Am I right?

Top Bottom