Elite Dangerous: Odyssey | Fixes to Mission types failing to progress

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
Also one major issue to your list Sally. On-Foot combat zones have very strange NPCs' behavior since update 8. There is a known bug when NPCs do not move in combat zone, but now even if they move they are very very slow all the time, even in the situation when they have to run (like open field). It certainly was not the case before the update 8. I assume the new update of NPC's AI contains a bug. I have played about 10 combat zones yesterday, they all were non-playable.

I hope other commanders can confirm or object.
I can confirm this too, three on foot CZ's all exhibiting this behavior. Heck I've had one where NPC's were stuck inside a building and couldn't end the CZ without leaving. LTT 17422 was the last one I've seen this behavior in.

Grabbed theseeeeee, thanks for the extra info o7

sallymorganmoore

@sallymorganmoore Sorry for the ping. I've attached some footage of the issue. Do you have any info / update on this at all? (sorry for the questions) For some reason this problem has been around for a while, but it keeps "expiring" in the issues tracker. Maybe not many people experience it? I have had other people confirm they are having problems in the same settlements...

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fkn1z2BL2E
Heya. I took a bunch of reports on these yesterday to follow up on, so this will definitely add to those. No worries, will look into it and update as soon as poss.

Please disregard my previous statement as I've just sold them at kapteyn mines @ MACHAQUIABA. I was unable to do so in previous locations where I've been farming them: LHS 1541 and MIKINII. I suppose this was just ninja-fixed :)
Because, like Factabulous was so kind to point out to you, Kapteyn Mines is definitely controlled by an anarchy faction. Whereas LHS 1541 and Mikinii have stations which are not. And Smear Campaign Plans are prohibited items which can only be sold at anarchy controlled stations.

nope want to them to fix an uplayable game i paid £30 for - its not unoptomised - its broken - and its been live 6 months
Remember though - your experience isn't he same as others - sorry to say this, but for many it was unplayable only for the first few day after launch, and although it is frustrating to get the occassional fps drop, for me and many other it isn't unplayable or broken. The challenge with optimisation for example is that it is massively impacted by things that FDEV (or any developer) would strugle to emulate during test - the number of different hardware/driver/motherboard/chip-set combinations out there must be well into the billions, and anyone of them could be the difference in imperformance on a game like ED. You and I could in theory have the same CPU and GPU, and the same amount of RAM and still get difference in performance due to a lot of other factors.

sallymorganmoore

Getting quite a few issues with fps from the recebt update. On ground settlements screen constantly locking up below 10 fps like its trying to load too much in yet disk, cpu and gpu barely hitting 30% usage. Not sure if its an optimisation bug or some other error. Any info on this? Cheers
Heyyy, can I be a massive pain and ask for your system spec/dxdiag in a DM please ? It's a decent start for me....mind you, were you having it this bad before? Has it suddenly happened? This makes me think theres something funny going on after @Corso 's comment too : https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...types-failing-to-progress.592621/post-9585421

I can confirm this too, three on foot CZ's all exhibiting this behavior. Heck I've had one where NPC's were stuck inside a building and couldn't end the CZ without leaving. LTT 17422 was the last one I've seen this behavior in.
I found once I started shooting, the opposition joined in. This was mostly from remaining at the CZ and relogging to initiate new combat. The downside being that around 20% of the time I have been getting a couple of stutters and then it crashes to desktop.

sallymorganmoore

I found once I started shooting, the opposition joined in. This was mostly from remaining at the CZ and relogging to initiate new combat. The downside being that around 20% of the time I have been getting a couple of stutters and then it crashes to desktop.
I'm gunna look into your account, Angus and see if you have any like...breadcrumbs for those CTDs. It didn't ask to submit a report, right?

When it crashes it brings up a requester and asks if I want to add a comment which I generally do, before sending it. I probably sent 4 or 5 over Saturday/Sunday.

Also one major issue to your list Sally. On-Foot combat zones have very strange NPCs' behavior since update 8. There is a known bug when NPCs do not move in combat zone, but now even if they move they are very very slow all the time, even in the situation when they have to run (like open field). It certainly was not the case before the update 8. I assume the new update of NPC's AI contains a bug. I have played about 10 combat zones yesterday, they all were non-playable.

I hope other commanders can confirm or object.
I confirm this as well. BASTIEN HYDROPONICS HOLDING @ MACHAQUIABA. I'm looking at them rooted to the ground right now. They just stand there and won't move.

1635864123906.png

1635864904925.png
oops :D

Last edited:
Heyyy, can I be a massive pain and ask for your system spec/dxdiag in a DM please ? It's a decent start for me....mind you, were you having it this bad before? Has it suddenly happened? This makes me think theres something funny going on after @Corso 's comment too : https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...types-failing-to-progress.592621/post-9585421
Not got the dxdiag spare yet, as im busy til much later but specs are:
I7 8700
Gtx 1070 8gb vram
16gb ram at 2133mhz
Only seems to have been severe since update 8 but was still present to a degree post update 5

Last edited:
Please check what kind of settlements are giving you these issues. For me it's mostly the Extraction and Agricultural settlements which show that kind of behaviour, the rest do not.
Same here. Extraction sites have been really odd. Over the weekend I had several minute stretches below 10 followed by a few minutes at 60 -70. The settlement was abandoned - not even any scavengers.

The worst I had though was at an agricultural settlement. I had an assassination mission. Everything was good, until I shot the guy. I got in my SRV to make my getaway and then the FPS dropped to 6-10 until I was about 3 km out.

I'm gunna look into your account, Angus and see if you have any like...breadcrumbs for those CTDs. It didn't ask to submit a report, right?
Hi Sally,
Just to chime in on the increased number of crash-to-desktops around Odyssey settlements since Update 8 - been getting a lot of those myself. Crash reports submitted as-and-when, will be under CMDR Voetsak.

Hey Sally,

Just for a bit more info, the NPC's refuse to go capture some points, like they can't even see them. Sometimes I will be sitting there alone without an enemy shooting at me or an ally coming to help me capture the points.
That's just because the current AI seems to have some problems prioritising objectives. Especially since they added the beefy Enforcers, NPCs can be stuck for quite a while shooting at each other (nothing more awkward then a bunch of soldiers with kinetic sidearms trying to get the shields down on an Enforcer).

They also seem to have absolutely no inclination to flock towards the player's position, so there's that too. They're probably busy capturing other points.

Seeing a ton of crash-to-desktop moments in ground CZs. Had 3 over lunch just now in an extraction settlement combat zone.

Top Bottom