Elite Dangerous: Odyssey | Fixes to Mission types failing to progress

At some point, especially after getting too many CTDs in a row, I stopped filling out comments and just hit the submit button. I hope that's okay with the developers, along the lines of "better than nothing"? I doubt very much that it will be helpful if I mention the most common condition every time these crashes happened to me (please tell me the developers hate repetition as much as I do): When routing over the system or galaxy map. I said "happened" because I haven't played in the last few weeks. Today I'm going to try again, so get ready for another bunch of uncommented crash reports. Or not... Hopefully. 🙏
Didn't play since the launch of update 7. I tried just after 8.02 though, but like before, a CTD greeted me in the system map just after launching the game... surprise surprise... 😡
It seems it is mostly occurring when trying to access the system map just after launching the game (or after a jump).

Edit: On a positive note, the game seems more stable and a little less stuttery (though still hogging a lot of CPU/GPU power on-foot), but I'll wait for update 9 or 10 to see where EDO is going.

Last edited:
Greetings Commanders o7

More prominently over the last couple of days, you have been sharing reports of some odd happenings around missions failing to complete or be acknowledged when embarking on them in Elite Dangerous: Odyssey. The team have investigated deeper into the situation and discovered a mix of legacy issues around mission scripts and some new since Update 8.

Some precise reports included:
  • Scavenger Mission issues:
    • "No Mission Update on arrival, No mission bar in top right of HUD, No Scavengers."
  • Reactivation missions cannot be completed:
    • "The particular type is: 'Turn on power at... - no flames, no bodies" (look at me using "Commander quotes" from my notes here).
    • "No mission progress, no mission indication in the HUD."
  • Restore missions failing to progress:
    • "Land at the target settlement, no progress."

Today at approximately 11:30 UTC we will be rolling out a fix for these issues in the form of a server update.
Unfortunately it won't be a "stealth rollout" (where the servers don't need to come offline), so

Elite Dangerous: Odyssey servers (only) will be offline for a brief duration (no more than a few minutes).

Known Issues:
Once again, a little nod to the immediate known issues post Update 8 and a few others (please note that there are obviously more individual experience reports coming in which aren't listed here, of course - this doesn't mean that all of those suddenly don't count. Just making a top level short list to keep minds at ease.
  • Hatch Breakers: "When using a Hatch Breaker Limpet on any Cargo Hatch or Escape Pod on a non-dockable megaship an error occurs".
  • Strange behaviour around Unrestricted Access areas acting Restricted.
    • Instances of Commanders being attacked for being in a Restricted Areas, but the area was not restricted.
  • Facilities list in System Map is appearing blank (all platforms).
  • Delayed loading of stations (pop!)
  • "Backward Engine Trails".
  • Noted for investigation: An issue with premium ammo on Hammer Gauss Cannons and incorrect damage increase.
Again - I've read lots over the last few days so if the one you've poked me on isn't here, it's only because a known issues list in a post like this to put all of your feedback in would be mega.

Thanks again for your support with feedback, Commanders!

o7
Another 'new' bug on the new delivery/collection missions to actual NPC in settlement: Despite mission Threat 0 and carrying clean delivery item (Personal Document), being clean in settlement and 'Neutral' with the faction: On being scanned I got 'Your in trouble scum! Now you are gonna pay' and then got shot in the face.........wut? :unsure:

so I just got a massacre mission, and been to two settlements where the target group should be, and on both everyone was already murdered and there seemed to be on foot pirates as well. is that working as intended?

Trying a third settlement now

Deleted member 110222

D
Surface pickup missions, (the ones where you retrieve a specified item from a container), still not fixed. OP does not even mention this mission type.

@sallymorganmoore I am absolutely pinging you over this. Is FD even aware that these missions are broken?

Could you guys please address the star's light flickering while being docked in station while in VR?

For anyone that replies. They said they had no immediate plans for on foot VR. It doesn't mean they can't address issues for in-ship gameplay.

Greetings Commanders o7

More prominently over the last couple of days, you have been sharing reports of some odd happenings around missions failing to complete or be acknowledged when embarking on them in Elite Dangerous: Odyssey. The team have investigated deeper into the situation and discovered a mix of legacy issues around mission scripts and some new since Update 8.

Greetings to @sallymorganmoore, if you remember, I have already raised the question about the incorrect calculation of influence, for completed missions. We expected this to be fixed in Update 8, or at least announced. But there is no information about this.

Let me remind you - sometimes (now almost always) the 5+ influence reward is not displayed on the screen. At the same time, the influence is taken into account in the logs. There is no certainty that this influence is taken into account on the servers in the game. A ticket was created for this occasion:

https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/43755

Below is a link to a video showing what is happening.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfOBnNQHCkg

Please pay attention to this problem.

Last edited:
When it crashes it brings up a requester and asks if I want to add a comment which I generally do, before sending it. I probably sent 4 or 5 over Saturday/Sunday.
A 'requester'? Now that's a term I haven't heard in a long, long time. Workbench user detected!

Surface pickup missions, (the ones where you retrieve a specified item from a container), still not fixed. OP does not even mention this mission type.

I am absolutely pinging you over this. Is FD even aware that these missions are broken?
Care to elaborate how they're broken? I have done a few here and there since every update and they have all worked fine for me. The only things that still seems to be "broken" are the garbled display of the variable for the keypad code (despite the container not actually having a lock) and the occasional container which is reported as being inside a building, but is actually outside (and listed as such on the panels).

hehe it was at war... so I joined in. I assume the system state overrides the mission I had then?
The mission board still generates Kill X of Y missions, despite that faction experiencing a negative state resulting in settlements being abandoned.

and the occasional container which is reported as being inside a building, but is actually outside (and listed as such on the panels).
The one time I had this, the container was under the awning (or overhanging internal section? I don't remember now) of the building the mission status thought the container was in.

The one time I had this, the container was under the awning (or overhanging internal section? I don't remember now) of the building the mission status thought the container was in.
Yeah, it's usually right outside under an overhang. The panels report these as being on the settlement grounds.

I've been noticing this problem around landing pads at a select few settlements as well. Been that way for a very long time and restarting isn't a fix.

As i said, i noticed that type of stuttering since Update5 (not talking about the deep fps drops that occurred in certain settlements, but purely about that type of stuttering)

It happened to me on 2 different gaming laptops (older i7-9750h / GTX1660Ti and current laptop Ryzen 9 5900hx / RTX 3080) usually after prolonged gaming sessions and/or with several days (week+) between happenings.
A computer restart helped in each case

Notice the emphasis on restart - which is different than a computer shutdown in default Windows 10 installs.
So saying: but i do shutdown my computer every evening doesnt count.

@sallymorganmoore, Good morning! (US)

I'd like to bring attention to game play breaking issue, see the link below. In short, taking any Assassination/Massacre/Bounty missions and then killing the main target will result in a Blue Cobra. Going to a CZ without a mission does not however going to a CZ with a mission does.

The attached image shows how quickly I'm getting Blue Cobras after killing the main target. Note I am unable to finish off the wing.Also if the mission is for say killing 90 targets, there is no way I could ever complete mission as after killing one or two targets Blue Cobra.

Let me know if you need any additional information. The above link should have my specs, video of said issue and other details.

Thank you!

Attachments

• FDevinfo1.JPG
    FDevinfo1.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 66

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
@sallymorganmoore, Good morning! (US)

I'd like to bring attention to game play breaking issue, see the link below. In short, taking any Assassination/Massacre/Bounty missions and then killing the main target will result in a Blue Cobra. Going to a CZ without a mission does not however going to a CZ with a mission does.

The attached image shows how quickly I'm getting Blue Cobras after killing the main target. Note I am unable to finish off the wing.Also if the mission is for say killing 90 targets, there is no way I could ever complete mission as after killing one or two targets Blue Cobra.

Let me know if you need any additional information. The above link should have my specs, video of said issue and other details.

Thank you!
Pffft, beautifully reported, thanks for taking the time!! o7
Grabbed and poking! If any more Commanders experience this and you hear of them doing so, would you link your issue tracker thingy please? Tackle from both sides :) I see some contributions already.

Top Bottom