Odyssey is a mess :(

Invisible (and invincible) NPCs shooting at me with Intimidators, one-off scavs on clearing missions (aka the last one you'll never find), fetch missions not registering the item, kill missions not registering the kill (and showing some debug messages in the mission description), hilariously OP scavs (almost as hard as omnipols) dropping in in troves (first 2, then 3 dropships at once) for a threat level 2 "restore power" mission. And of course the usual tipped-off military settlement that greets you with enough firepower to stop you from doing that covert digital espionage mission that yields whooping 2 digital designs as a material reward. Sure enough they will see you coming from miles away through mountains, I often wonder why the game is not just exploding your ship on the pad as soon as you accept such missions. But wait... it would spare you from the fun of flying 300kls for 15mins or so for nothing at all. sigh
There is a recurring factor in this post which explains why I seem to be enjoying Odyssey much more than you, missions. I only do missions in Elite to rank up and get permits so have not done many in Horizons and almost non opinion Odyssey since testing.
Different ways of playing the game.
I had trailing Anaconda that was after my cargo jump rght in front of me just when I had pressed the boost button. No way to evade, I planted the Cobra smack in the middle and exploded. Shieldless smuggler Cobra. Still call it nollocks. Who codes crappy spawn scripts like that?
Someone writing on the NPCs side.
The Anaconda stopped you successfully and can now sort through the debris for anything of value. If we could manage to do the same then it would be a much bragged about tactic.

There is a recurring factor in this post which explains why I seem to be enjoying Odyssey much more than you, missions. I only do missions in Elite to rank up and get permits so have not done many in Horizons and almost non opinion Odyssey since testing.

Someone writing on the NPCs side.
The Anaconda stopped you successfully and can now sort through the debris for anything of value. If we could manage to do the same then it would be a much bragged about tactic.
The Anaconda was slower, less agile and always behind. There is no reason to assume it would have overtaken me successfully at any point. Nor plot the exact coordinate of my flight verctor and drop right there when exiting super cruise. It's major hs and it's just due to some random quirk in a shoddy thought through spawn script.

But that is ED in a nutshell. You get major nollocks like this and very little in return.

Last edited:
I prefer to have control over my outcomes. There was simply no way to evade that incident. Might as well roll a dice and present the result on a save loading screen on a death roll.
I suppose that's the trouble with them creating Space Euro Truck simulator. We get so used to being able to play the game potentially while doing something else that anything like this gets magnified because getting blown up is such a rare event.

You were still in control - you could have put shields and HRPs in your Cobra which might have given you a chance of survival. Arguably you left yourself no room for anything going wrong. Then again, with no shields and a hull full of cargo racks being fine in 999 out of 1000 occasions, why would you?

Had a CZ where the terrain was raised higher than the ground should have been. Enemies that spawned initially could shoot up through the surface (no idea what they were standing on) but I couldn't shoot down at them.

A relog did fix it though and went on to win the CZ.

The main annoyance for me is when i'm doing a salvage/theft/heist/etc., and the target doesn't spawn. If its something like take X from the crashed sattelite its not too big an issue. A quick relog solves it. But when you spend 15 minutes or more creeping around a base, getting access, especially if its a non-violent one, only to find the target isn't there, then that's damn frustrating.

Had all bodies in a base i just cleared spontaneously decide to fly away (this was actually very funny and still makes me smile)
Not had this, but when I kill scavengers using my ship's missiles, and their bodies are littering the landscape, they are mysteriously not there when I disembark in order to scan them.

Good for you. How does that relate to the OP's question about more odd stories, pray tell?

The Anaconda was slower, less agile and always behind. There is no reason to assume it would have overtaken me successfully at any point. Nor plot the exact coordinate of my flight verctor and drop right there when exiting super cruise. It's major hs and it's just due to some random quirk in a shoddy thought through spawn script.

But that is ED in a nutshell. You get major nollocks like this and very little in return.
Yes that is the problem with ED not being purely a sim but a game as well, there is an opportunity for random to bite us.

I have had ships do that sort of dropout on me in the past but luck and rarely boosting that soon after dropping out near a station has meant the worst that happened was I got some shots from the NPC and had to avoid the fire from the station in responce.
Good for you. How does that relate to the OP's question about more odd stories, pray tell?
It doesn't, it was a response to how I was perceiving the post I replied to which came across as another Odyssey is bad post.

It doesn't, it was a response to how I was perceiving the post I replied to which came across as another Odyssey is bad post.
In a thread titled "Odyssey is a mess"? What did you expect here besides bad mouthing and white-knights? Oh... wait...

In a thread titled "Odyssey is a mess"? What did you expect here besides bad mouthing and white-knights? Oh... wait...
Honestly, it is surprising to me that such obvious troll bait is allowed and while Odyssey is not perfect, at this point I think it is objectively misleading to say it is a "mess", though I guess it's fine to have such titled threads pepper the official forum that doomers/haters can highlight to bolster their narratives that "Elite is dead".

Anyone can search game glitches on youtube and by the same estimation a lot of these other AAA games, some by such small amateur studios like Nintendo, are a "mess" too, moreso even in some particular cases, even though most results will be fully developed and released games rather than a long term ongoing developing products, like Elite Dangerous. But whatever, Odyssey = bad, Frontier = bad and to try to counter act that narrative is tantamount to white-knighting. The funny thing is that this post is likely going to be viewed as such too but it is in reality critical of Frontier for not being more proactive in setting the tone and narrative to be positive towards a product they are trying to earn revenue from. In this new(ish) realm of internet rage mobs, bot manipulation of social media and meme stocks literally bankrupting hedge funds (not a comment on whether that was good or bad), I think it's a crucial factor that shouldn't be overlooked.

Honestly, it is surprising to me that such obvious troll bait is allowed and while Odyssey is not perfect, at this point I think it is objectively misleading to say it is a "mess", though I guess it's fine to have such titled threads pepper the official forum that doomers/haters can highlight to bolster their narratives that "Elite is dead".

Anyone can search game glitches on youtube and by the same estimation a lot of these other AAA games, some by such small amateur studios like Nintendo, are a "mess" too, moreso even in some particular cases, even though most results will be fully developed and released games rather than a long term ongoing developing products, like Elite Dangerous. But whatever, Odyssey = bad, Frontier = bad and to try to counter act that narrative is tantamount to white-knighting. The funny thing is that this post is likely going to be viewed as such too but it is in reality critical of Frontier for not being more proactive in setting the tone and narrative to be positive towards a product they are trying to earn revenue from. In this new(ish) realm of internet rage mobs, bot manipulation of social media and meme stocks literally bankrupting hedge funds (not a comment on whether that was good or bad), I think it's a crucial factor that shouldn't be overlooked.
Instead of bumping all the negative threads (which would probably have died out by now if not for your very active participation), why not rather create your own positive threads? This forum has been kinda boring of late, and nature abhors a vacuum.. Go forth and fill it with flowers rather than water the weeds!

I've actually enjoyed lurking in the positive thread about exploration:

(Though even there the fanatics feel the need to take potshots at other non-participating forum members, thus derailing the positive nature of that thread)

Instead of bumping all the negative threads (which would probably have died out by now if not for your very active participation), why not rather create your own positive threads? This forum has been kinda boring of late, and nature abhors a vacuum.. Go forth and fill it with flowers rather than water the weeds!
Indeed! This one here actually has potential to be a positive thread: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/i-played-elite-dangerous-so-you-dont-have-to.605191/ . Hopefully... or so...

So ODY is actually good, runs very performant on PC and consoles and the gameplay was significantly increased? It wasn't sold in alpha state to customers? (I'd say they were actually honest about that in their corpspeak way, but ppl just don't read between the lines). It didn't invalidate its long-standing USP of interesting and diverse procgen by introducing easily identifiable repeating patterns like in a cheap map generator with the new procgen algo?
In the end the whole size of the world was oversize from the start and more a narcistic relic of "we can do it" rather than "is that sensible game design" but at least now it repeats itself ad nauseam.
And it probably introduced new and fresh gameplay so we can enjoy new experiences from a new perspective?

So ODY is actually good, runs very performant on PC and consoles and the gameplay was significantly increased? It wasn't sold in alpha state to customers? (I'd say they were actually honest about that in their corpspeak way, but ppl just don't read between the lines). It didn't invalidate its long-standing USP of interesting and diverse procgen by introducing easily identifiable repeating patterns like in a cheap map generator with the new procgen algo?
In the end the whole size of the world was oversize from the start and more a narcistic relic of "we can do it" rather than "is that sensible game design" but at least now it repeats itself ad nauseam.
And it probably introduced new and fresh gameplay so we can enjoy new experiences from a new perspective?
Said it before and I'll say it again. I've been playing Odyssey since it launched. It is enjoyable to me. Has it had problems, absolutely! I guess I just don't get hung up on having a few issues in a game that I absolutely enjoy...life is a big series of experiments...hopefully 80 years long or so...

Top Bottom