Update 13, Narrative and Access to 4.0

I get why it's being done, but I was really hoping we'd see some more UI/UX improvements before this was forced. Parts of the Odyssey interface are still beyond maddening - especially as someone using a controller, not kb+m. I'd originally hoped the console launch would fix some of that given you'd have to actually test it with controllers but then it got cancelled - so I guess we're going to be stuck with it.
I play with a generic controller and like it. Was $15.

Great news. Yes, it may require users to upgrade their specs to have as good / fluid a time as they did with Horizons, but it's progress. Much better going forward and not have to juggle between the 2 so much. VR in Odyssey is MUCH better than in Horizons. I've been solely VR in Oddy since launch and have never opened Horizons since. It's moving onward, upgrade and enjoy.

Bruce G

Senior Community Manager
- We’re happy to confirm Update 13 is coming on Tuesday 9 August and will see the highly anticipated conclusion of the Azimuth Saga.
My interpretation: Update 13 is coming next week. It will contain the conclusion of the Azimuth Saga.

-
we intend to give all PC players access to version 4.0, at no additional cost, while keeping the upgrade to Odyssey optional. This is expected to come in the weeks following Update 13
My interpretation: All PC players will be upgrade to v4.0 at some point after the release of Update 13.

-
With regards to how this affects the conclusion of the Azimuth Saga: delivering on our promise to offer the best possible narrative content requires taking full advantage of version 4.0.
My interpretation: v4.0 is required for Update 13 and the conclusion of the Azimuth Saga.

-
Therefore, Horizons players will be able to witness the final event in the Azimuth Saga and access related gameplay scenarios. Moving forwards, all PC players will have access to content in the next narrative phase given they are using version 4.0, except in cases where on-foot gameplay (and by extension, Odyssey) is required.
Interpretation 1: After all players have been upgraded to v4.0, all PC Horizons players will be able to experience the conclusion to the Azimuth Saga and related gameplay. Future updates will also require v4.0

Interpretation 2: For Update 13, current Horizons players will be able to experience the conclusion of the Aziuth Saga and related gameplay. However, for
future updates, v4.0 will be required.

I'm going with Interpretation 1, but what does everyone else think?

It's not an "upgrade" to 4.0 as such. Players will have the option to launch in 3.8 or 4.0, whichever they prefer. We'll make this clearer in the post.

4.0 is not required for Update 13 or to experience the conclusion to the Azimuth Saga. Interpretation 2 is more accurate.

It's not an "upgrade" to 4.0 as such. Players will have the option to launch in 3.8 or 4.0, whichever they prefer. We'll make this clearer in the post.

4.0 is not required for Update 13 or to experience the conclusion to the Azimuth Saga. Interpretation 2 is more accurate.
Excellent thankyou for the clarification in that case this is a great step forward for everyone.

So they'll be an option to launch:
  • In Odyssey
  • In Horizons 4.0
  • In Horizons 3.8
For at least a couple of months for Windows players?

I play with a generic controller and like it. Was $15.
You've clearly not FSS'd a 100+ body system and then tried to skim through all of them on system map then - HZN just requires moving over the body, ODY requires a button press every time, and even more if you expect to see ring / atmosphere details. Or, you've not noticed that the FSS is noticibly slower going diagonal in ODY compared to HZN. Or the number of clicks it is to just select a system on the galaxy map (not plot a route). I can go on 🙃 - but if you're happy with it as it is, I'm happy for you.

This is good news.

<Looks at the two branches of code for HCS Voicepacks>

gulp and YAY. but gulp.
Better roll up my sleeves and prepare to merge them back into one codebase now!

Good news is that it will make it MUCH easier to deploy code updates now for the packs as I don't have to make the changes in two separate branches and regression test BOTH before each release.

We will want something in the journal to identify whether a player is able to access on foot content. Otherwise you could end up sending them to settlements they can't use.

I get why it's being done, but I was really hoping we'd see some more UI/UX improvements before this was forced. Parts of the Odyssey interface are still beyond maddening - especially as someone using a controller, not kb+m. I'd originally hoped the console launch would fix some of that given you'd have to actually test it with controllers but then it got cancelled - so I guess we're going to be stuck with it.
As a controller user myself I still prefer the Odyssey interface. Horizons had more frustrations for me. What I miss in both though is an on screen keyboard for text input when required. Without which I'm forced to find my keyboard. Especially in VR this is a challenge.

Top Bottom