Really? All that hype for nothing?(spoiler)

Where is this supposed "change the galaxy?"
The proteus wave worked and then by plot armor didn't?
So...
Like...
When I said "nothing will happen"
I didn't actually... ya know... want nothing to happen.
How have the thargoids changed?
Nothing. They switched off and on again.
Has salvation saved mankind or doomed it?
Nothing. Thargoids still as mysterious as always.
Have we learned anything?!
Nope.
I wanted to be proven wrong. I wanted to log in and see the thargoids defeated and we get to salvage their tech. I worked hard to gather things in hope for having my own thargoid ship. Worked that cg hard. And my reward is? What? A dissapointing end.

So much hype... for nothing...
Horisons didn't even get 4.0
Oh but guardian sentinels now shoot their missles again.
That is nice. Nice bug fixes.
Nothing new. The game stagnates. The game rots. The game just recycles the same modules and engineering grind forever while the player numbers slowly dwindle after each stagnant dissapointment.
k6zDYa2.jpg

O7

The sheer paucity of imagination shown by the endless defenders of corporate product is staggering; especially considering that Elite 1, from 1984, had better "personal narrative" than ED in 2022.
There's no personal narrative in ED its a different game. There's a galaxy with things happening within which you're just one pilot amongst millions, you are not the hero of the ED story.
So, let's try and at least address the issues why this "world changing event, be there on the day" experience was actually disappointing, shall we? So we can perhaps share the happiness?
Speak for yourself, I found the cutscene exciting. I found escaping from the megaship that I had parked at and now in pieces exciting. I returned with a better equipped ship and started scavenging a destroyed megaship, got ambished by an interceptor and spent some anxious minutes trying to escape after it disabled my PP, thrusters and FSD, only to die at the end. I wasn't disappointed.
Firstly, not only was there no content to play on launch day
Yes there was, you might not like it but its there.
you should never, EVER open any chapter of a story by hitting the reader in the face that they literally can't take part.
Why not? Starting a chapter being impotent and finding a way to restore power is a common plot development.
WE WANT SOMETHING TO MATTER ABOUT OUR OWN GAMEPLAY.
Then play another game. There's very little you can do in this game that will make any difference over time.
As it was today, I was actually here for launch, but within minutes realised that although I'd built a basic AX ship in the past, it was needing a module that had since become essential (I could be shut down) and there was literally nothing I could do except immediately leave the system because the event opens with literally preventing you from fighting the Thargoids. I couldnt even get to a log to add it to my codex as I couldn't defend myself. My taking part was only completely signing myself out of it.
What's wrong with a story that makes you run away with your tail between your legs, to work out how to effectively equip yourself before returning? There's actual threat to you now. You can't just waltz in with meta AX outfitting and blast away without risk.
Damn it... Someone at Frontier really, REALLY doesn't understand how player driven content is supposed to work, or what made the Elite series so special.
Who says this game must have player-driven content?

I ALMOST caved to buying Ody for this... I didn't. My gut feeling won this round yet again. Was perfectly fine watching a streamer go through it.
That's what I meant above... after I was finished playing for the night I made a quick tour around the usual streamers' / content creators' VODs to asses how others reacted to the event. A few were giddy and giggling like children and /or mesmerized by what was going on (thumbs up for that!), some were completely void of emoition saying "uh huh" every five seconds, some kept re-narrating everything happening in the cutscene (and afterwards) and one (you know which one) spent every microsecond of the cutscene pointing out how crappy it was.

NOTHING beats experiencing it yourself, twice so in VR (the part after the cutscene - the cutscene itself was on a virtual cinema screen). Streamers are no substitute for doing it yourself.

The Thargoids have always had an uncontested foothold. Always. They've regularly gotten as close as 50ly to Sol. They could have wiped out humanity any time they damn well pleased. Luckily, they're happy setting a few stations on fire and calling it a day, while the superpowers rely on Mercs to fight them off because they're too stupid to build a permanent science/weapon development/scavenging base at a Guardian ruin to outfit their own navies.
I mean all we've really been doing is at the very least temporarily making them retreat to their own area to have a think. They can come and go as they please using their wormholes and we've got no real knowledge of how many there are or how their tech really works. Until we do, they're pretty much beyond our reach and could pretty easily wipe us out by just dropping anywhere as you've said.
NOTHING beats experiencing it yourself, twice so in VR (the part after the cutscene - the cutscene itself was on a virtual cinema screen). Streamers are no substitute for doing it yourself.

Was it really? After all that about no VR anymore post-Odyssey? Damn, might have to dust my set off.

ahh ... spent a while wondering where the post-update-13 salt was ... should have known to check the forum

well done
Agreed. Even made the mistake of thinking Horizons 4.0 was arriving with the patch. There's someone who checks facts, and knows what he's talking about. :rolleyes: But, whiners gonna whine. What a life eh? 👎

Was it really? After all that about no VR anymore post-Odyssey? Damn, might have to dust my set off.
Nothing has changed about the in-vehicle-stuff. Well, performance has changed, and quite a few visuals. But ship and SRV content is still VR. Only the on-foot content doesn't support it. And of course, as I said, the cutscene was a movie on a virtual flat screen.

Edit: To make that more clear: With "the part after the cutscene" I mean me sitting in my disabled ship trying to get a grip what's happening :).

Nothing has changed about the in-vehicle-stuff. Well, performance has changed, and quite a few visuals. But ship and SRV content is still VR. Only the on-foot content doesn't support it. And of course, as I said, the cutscene was a movie on a virtual flat screen.

Edit: To make that more clear: With "the part after the cutscene" I mean me sitting in my disabled ship trying to get a grip what's happening :).
Right, but, even that is saying something positive IMO. I suppose they had to integrate it somehow.

I mean all we've really been doing is at the very least temporarily making them retreat to their own area to have a think. They can come and go as they please using their wormholes and we've got no real knowledge of how many there are or how their tech really works. Until we do, they're pretty much beyond our reach and could pretty easily wipe us out by just dropping anywhere as you've said.

So why haven't they wiped us out? There's literally nothing stopping them.

We do have one very important piece of information: the likely location of either their homeworld, or somewhere otherwise important to them. We've had that location for a number of years now.

Why is it still locked?

The Thargoids have always had an uncontested foothold. Always. They've regularly gotten as close as 50ly to Sol. They could have wiped out humanity any time they damn well pleased. Luckily, they're happy setting a few stations on fire and calling it a day, while the superpowers rely on Mercs to fight them off because they're too stupid to build a permanent science/weapon development/scavenging base at a Guardian ruin to outfit their own navies.

Nah,

They've always been "attackers", engaging in space-age guerilla warfare.
They've never actually captured territory before.
Now, if we're to accept the various news reports, HIP 22460 is 'goid territory.

That's new.

Right, but, even that is saying something positive IMO. I suppose they had to integrate it somehow.
Jury is still out about that :) . I'm one of the few players at peace with the current solution, but I don't do the on-foot FPS stuff at all. I enjoy Odyssey mostly for exploring atmospheric planets, the only on-foot stuff is jogging through the hangar to go shopping or disembarking the ship or SRV to scan plants. And I do like most of the interface changes and the new planet generation.

It was a patch...To patch the 'already game.' It also added to the narrative. It wasn't DLC, it was a P A T C H to correct issues and patch the broken code. Clues in the title.

Eh?

I thought it was an U P D A T E rather than a P A T C H ?

As you suggest, the clue's in the name.

Nah,

They've always been "attackers", engaging in space-age guerilla warfare.
They've never actually captured territory before.
Now, if we're to accept the various news reports, HIP 22460 is 'goid territory.

That's new.
Why do the Thargoids need to engage in guerilla warfare? They're far more technologically advanced, our superpower navies are pathetic, and we disbanded our tri-superpower Thargoid defense initiative. We pose literally no threat other than some CMDR's with souped up Guardian equipped ships. Why aren't they terror bombing planets? Dropping nasty infectious bug stuff from orbit? Why are they leaving stations in one piece?

Why do the Thargoids need to engage in guerilla warfare? They're far more technologically advanced, our superpower navies are pathetic, and we disbanded our tri-superpower Thargoid defense initiative. We pose literally no threat other than some CMDR's with souped up Guardian equipped ships. Why aren't they terror bombing planets? Dropping nasty infectious bug stuff from orbit? Why are they leaving stations in one piece?

I don't know why.

I'm simply commenting on what we've actually experienced in-game.
They show up at random, do stuff and then disappear again.
That's guerilla tactics.
Why they do that, or whether they actually need to do that, is anybody's guess (ignoring the fact that's the way FDev have designed them).

Capturing territory, and making it hostile to humans, is new.

Setting aside the in-universe stuff for a moment, I'd like to see FDev capitalise on this.
We know FDev like their procedural stuff and they like their BGS so maybe it'd be possible for FDev to create a mechanic whereby, when certain conditions are met, the 'goids procedurally construct a hive-ship in HIP 22460 and then send it off somewhere, causing death and destruction (every thursday) as it goes?

We'd be able to scout HIP 22460 and do stuff to delay or prevent the construction or, failing that, we'd have to defend the systems in the hive-ship's path until we defeated it or it completed it's mission and disappeared.

That'd give us a continual stream of AX stuff to do without FDev having to manually DM every change of circumstances.

Um, you just had a HUGE DLC drop a little over a year ago. What do you expect, an Odyssey-sized DLC every two months?

As for the story, I've been following today's events vicariously through the eyes of some live streams, and it's piqued my interest, and I normally don't care about Thargoids. To say that there is nothing new is disingenuous. Though I do dream of a day when cutscenes are replaced with actual live gameplay - for example, being at the bar and having a live news cast break live on an in-game monitor and seeing NPCs around me respond in real time.

Anyway, I'll be paying closer attention to the Thargoid story going forward, despite having little interest in AX combat.
Did we?! I didn't notice anything here in beautiful PlaystationLand!! :O :D .

While it was almost nothing new for many of us!

Top Bottom