Really? All that hype for nothing?(spoiler)

Since the end of the storyline is supposed to lead up to another one, and fdev already worked on said upcoming storyline in advance, it was clear that the end of the current one would be dictated by fdev to lead to the desired outcome.
The same is true for most, but not all of the community goals.
Those you can influence usually have small to absolutely no influence on the wider universe.
It´s really more the rule than the exception.
There are CGs in which Frontier clearly doesn't want to lose. Salvation's CGs which offered module bribes, the pro-Sirius pact one which provided 4(!) pre-engineered modules versus virtually nothing for going against it (ship/engineer unlocks).

These are the CGs which I believe could really turn the story, otherwise they wouldn't bother rigging one side so heavily against the other - most folks will go for the shinies.

It's most probably true that all CG doesn't have the same big influence, but saying the end of the story was wrote since the beginning is most probably false.
What happen is that some major branching can occur, and between them we have long story arcs with minor CG goals.
We took the arc where Redemption blew himself.

There are CGs in which Frontier clearly doesn't want to lose. Salvation's CGs which offered module bribes, the pro-Sirius pact one which provided 4(!) pre-engineered modules versus virtually nothing for going against it (ship/engineer unlocks).

These are the CGs which I believe could really turn the story, otherwise they wouldn't bother rigging one side so heavily against the other - most folks will go for the shinies.
It's really nice of Salvation after the big gun disaster that they paid the CG rewards as expected, including the modified plasma charger.
At least I guess they did - iirc I used to have 4 of those weapons and now I have 5. :)

It's still history, if in real life I want a town to be populated, I'll give money and other things so that people move, it's the same thing, if I wanted them to help me save humanity or destroy it, I'd make those people companions giving him what he wants

i honestly think that even if these cgs would go in a different direction, fdev would use some kind of deus ex machina to get the desired outcome.
it´s really a choice of concentrating your resources on one outcome or split it for two possible outcomes.
so only the cgs that have no impact get the free will treatment, because they require no extra work.

And equally, Frontier are happy I think in those circumstances for it to go the other way - they're under no obligation to offer a CG for the other side at all, or even have that bit of the story told by CG in the first place - even if they can often be fairly confident about which side will be chosen. Puzzle-type story segments are basically impossible to fail even with 99% player opposition to it being solved.

(e.g. no way to support Trask's side in the Kumo coup by CG ; e.g. no CG at all determining whether the Emperor was successfully rescued)

i honestly think that even if these cgs would go in a different direction, fdev would use some kind of deus ex machina to get the desired outcome.
There's not really any need for them to. The NMLA storyline lasted about 15 months, and had three or four probable branch points in it, months apart. They'd only need an extremely loose outline of what happens next to be able to move ahead at the required pace.

They have enough control over what's happening that offering us some occasional genuine choices really doesn't cost them anything in prep time.

(It's where we do something genuinely surprising, like failing to hit Tier 1 on a non-competitive CG, that you can see they didn't prepare for that and have to hurry to put it right)

I decided to join the conversation about the new patch here, since I haven't been active in the game for the past half a year (I stopped playing midway through grinding engineering materials, honestly it is just incredibly boring to accumulate materials in any way so you can kit your ship out for AX combat and just naturally getting the materials will take forever. Raw material gathering especially is a chore.)

What's new really? So far what I've seen it's just more POIs of recycled assets, apparently hundreds of hours of grinding (Guardian weapons and modules) are now rendered useless against the Goids (does this mean another hundreds of hours of grindy module hunt will be introduced to replace the, now obsolete, Guardian modules?) and a big green cloud on a planet that you can't land on and some flickering UI.

I understand that lore enthusiasts love the new update as it brings a turning point to the Azimuth Saga, but what's new in terms of gameplay? How will Elite be enriched that might bring those back who play for a fresh change from what the game is currently?

Really? Wow, they are my favorite. Planet exploration =)
I wouldn't mind raw material gathering if there was more to see on these planets. I'm all for exploring lush worlds with hidden secrets, but I kinda had enough of the barren moons with different coloured skyboxes and some geysers/rock formations. xD

I can see how some can't have enough of them, the snow planets and such.

I've been addicted to Sea of Thieves lately. It's a hand-crafted world but it is so full of secrets and things to do that I still only just scratched the surface of what can be done in the game after 140hrs. And I considered a pirate game to be the last thing to get me invested in a game.

All I know is I retreated to my carrier and there were no NHSS in the system any more. If Thargoids have disappeared from all systems except 22460 ... and you can't use Guardian weps in the only system where Thargoids are ... maybe Guardian weapons are effectively finito??

Anyone seen any NHSS outside HIP 22460?
Plenty outside HIP 22460. Go deep into the Pleiades Sector and they become far more numerous.

I got a Sensor from one after 2 attempts (an Interceptor beat me to it the first time) in order to get a way to enter a surface site later.

Oh, and outside HIP 22460 the Thargoids are back to their original behaviour: aggressive Scouts and mostly neutral Interceptors.

So what you are saying is if you log into Horizons or are on consoles then the end of the year plus saga is a cutscene.
No Thargoids for you.

Fdev said all will experience the saga ending…….. a cutscene………. Nice

So went into Odyssey, got attacked by Thargoids, saw all the debris and dead ships, saw the big electric spot on the planet….. now what ?
Don’t care to do Thargoid fighting so guess I will just wait to see if anything happens that will give me something to really do.

So went into Odyssey, got attacked by Thargoids, saw all the debris and dead ships, saw the big electric spot on the planet….. now what ?
Don’t care to do Thargoid fighting so guess I will just wait to see if anything happens that will give me something to really do.
I hear some worlds there have exobiology. Fancy a real challenge? Sample and catalogue all the biological life in that system without getting killed.

The point that many people are sticking with version 3.8 on PC , when you need 4.0 for Odyssey, shows they're alienating PC players just as much as consoles players...

As said, they should be trying to attract new players, not locking a very niche group in a glass box! :O
The £7M(?) EDO debt was Amortized (written off) early this year, so any new development/story/DLC will be at a cost to FDev. Where is this revenue going to come from?
I can't see anything new coming in the future except story planned years ago and is part (i.e. programmed) of the universe already, just needs activating in-code.
Unless they charge for a new DLC to generate income for the Dev team salaries.

The £7M(?) EDO debt was Amortized (written off) early this year, so any new development/story/DLC will be at a cost to FDev. Where is this revenue going to come from?
It appeared, from the financial statement, that the amortisation wrote off the development costs, leaving a profit of around £2 million, possibly that is where it is coming from?
Any further income received from the expansion is, technically, pure profit, and there is a hint that some players are interested in console transfer to enable them to continue playing the current (and any future) narrative. The income from those sales will also provide opportunity for further development, even if minor.

Last edited:
I can't see anything new coming in the future except story planned years ago and is part (i.e. programmed) of the universe already, just needs activating in-code.
Woah, didn't realised things were like this. I always thought this game lacks micro transaction, compared to other MMO's, and a at least annual DLC sales.
Even strategy games like Stellaris - make massive ammount on DLC sales few times a year.
Makes one think what ED could have been...
Waiting for Horizon 4.0, so the other players can catch up. But at least the story got exciting. Can now hype your self for a massive dissapointment later, when it won't come true.

Um, you just had a HUGE DLC drop a little over a year ago. What do you expect, an Odyssey-sized DLC every two months?

As for the story, I've been following today's events vicariously through the eyes of some live streams, and it's piqued my interest, and I normally don't care about Thargoids. To say that there is nothing new is disingenuous. Though I do dream of a day when cutscenes are replaced with actual live gameplay - for example, being at the bar and having a live news cast break live on an in-game monitor and seeing NPCs around me respond in real time.

Anyway, I'll be paying closer attention to the Thargoid story going forward, despite having little interest in AX combat.
Love that idea of news breaking on screens in the spaceports and bars that would be cool as hell.

It appeared, from the financial statement, that the amortisation wrote off the development costs, leaving a profit of around £2 million, possibly that is where it is coming from?
Any further income received from the expansion is, technically, pure profit, and there is a hint that some players are interested in console transfer to enable them to continue playing the current (and any future) narrative. The income from those sales will also provide opportunity for further development, even if minor.
Also not to forget are the lead times on content that are somewhere on the scale of 12-24 months, so it's quite possible that there are a lot of things in the pipeline that have already been partly of fully paid for..

From people continuing to buy the game and whatever dlc they can us on "last gen" systems, save in the knowledge that the game is still alive and recieving new content...

While in particular, buying the game, Odyssey and any all new dlc on the "next gen" systems would generate a lot of sales.

They have many customers on consoles and many more than can attract if they get back to console development again and continue to include us, rather than treating us as an embarrassing mistake! :0 :D .

(I forgot about the cosmetic microtransactions, while I don't buy cosmetics, may people do and would continue to do so, that's a constant stream of revenue - as said, they have many existing customers and potential customers on consoles, IF they welcome us back again...

I'll play Elite for what it is on PS4, "until they turn the lights off", however I want the future the game promised back, before the rug was so cruelly pulled from under us! :_ .)

Last edited:
Top Bottom