Release Elite Dangerous HUD Mod (EDHM)

::EDHM ODYSSEY v13.4 BETA::

Hi CMDRs,

We welcome our new Horizons 4.0 brethren into the real EDHM! Time to take the red pill 😉 We look forward to seeing what sort of amazing HUDs you create

EDHM for Odyssey / H4.0 v13.4 Update Notes:

This v13.4 update fixes some orange icons that popped up after the Horizons 4.0 release

It also adds custom colour and slightly-extended length to the Space Dust in normal flight. The space dust in Ody can be quite difficult to see compared to Horizons, so this mod will be useful if you're learning to fly FA-off

And special thanks to @Fred89210 who did most of the work on this update, big o7

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Notes for CMDRs who don't use the UI:

• Added to Startup-Profile.ini (line 913)

Added new key z142
Key z121 already exists in the mod

Code:
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; * Space Dust (aka Snow in normal flight) *
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; ON = 1, OFF = 0
z121 =1

; If Space Dust is ON, the following modes are available:
; Set z142 value
; 0 = Space Dust Elite Default Mode (with original length and brightness)
; 1 = Space Dust Custom Colour Mode
; 2 = Space Dust MultiColour Mode
z142 = 1

• Added to Advanced ini (all new keys)

Code:
; * Space Dust (normal flight) *
; Custom colour
; Red (max 1)
x175 = 0
; Green (max 1)
y175 = 0.5
; Blue (max 1)
z175 = 1

; Space Dust Brightness (max 1.5)
; Also applies to multi-colour mode
w175 = 1.0

; Dust Length (useful for FA-off training)
; Range: 1 to 3 (max 3). Default = 1
w142 = 2

• Added shader
21bd60c54623a752-vs.txt - Space Dust

Total 52 shaders in the base mod

For folks who don't use the UI: v13.4 download link (direct link)

o7

Last edited:
Hi CMDRs,

Over the past year I've had many requests for a mod of the Biome Overlay for CMDrs who have difficulty distinguishing between the default blue and slightly more greeny-blue

I've added two new modes:
i. You can choose the target colour for the biome
ii. As above, but you can also see the planet surface, which makes it easier to land in the light regions

If you have any suggestions or feedback then please let me know.

The files will be available on the EDHM discord and my Github in a few days (it was a complicated mod, need to test it more tomorrow)

Edit: I had to remove the video as another CMDR pointed out it exposed my personal details. I’ll make a new one soon

Last edited:
The files will be available on the EDHM discord and my Github in a few days (it was a complicated mod, need to test it more tomorrow)
Just curious (as a person who doesn't get on well with Discord) - have you ruled out putting experimental releases into some kind of dev branch on Github?

Just curious (as a person who doesn't get on well with Discord) - have you ruled out putting experimental releases into some kind of dev branch on Github?

Yeah I used to release alpha builds of new features back in the Horizons days. But I had to stop for two reasons

Take for example the Cockpit Lights mod that enables switching off some annoying lights that shine in your face (the Kraits for example). In an early release there was a bug that switched off all the external station lights, and another that made the HoloMe really dark, then another that turned off all the nebulae in external camera mode.

I’d fix the bugs but then so many players didn’t update, and so I’d see streamers and screenshots of buggy versions and constantly cringe. It also gives EDHM a bad reputation if there are buggy versions in the wild, and so now we do extensive beta testing on the discord to squash all bugs before each release

Even with the recent beta test of the Cockpit Paint Mod, a major bug was found yesterday that turned all the carrier lights the same colour as the Cutter Imperial stripe lighting. It’s fixed now but imagine there were 100 people using the bugged version, it would make the mod look bad

The second reason is that I work and study, and spend most of my free time trying to make the mod better. In those Horizons days when people could openly try untested features I would constantly get about 10 PMs from different people every day complaining about something or other, and I don’t have time to mod and answer all the questions. Now that I only release bug-free (mostly) builds I rarely get these sort of PMs

Anyways, that’s the story of why we have a core beta testing crew on the EDHM discord, which anyone can join. But the final releases will always be available on the GitHub as well

Hi CMDRs,

The Enhanced Biome Overlay is ready for release, and is an addon for EDHM.

You can choose the colour of the biome layer, and switch between modes with a keybind. Sometimes it can be easier to see the biome in Mode 1, then use Mode 2 to choose your landing spot.

I hope this makes biome hunting less frustrating for CMDRs with visual impairment, and more fun for everyone

Download the biome overlay from the EDHM Discord or the EDHM Github

Demo video:

Source: https://youtu.be/8AfQZU_yZHY

o7

There is always the possibility I don't understand things correctly; but I have the feeling your interpretation of the different blue(ish) color layers is incorrect. I don't know if details can be found on your discord, and I can't be bothered to search for it. Frankly, supporting and documenting something exclusively via discord is a terrible habit that spreads further and further.

As I understand it, the two shades of blue do not mean one is the background and one denotes the biome to find the selected organism in. This - in my opinion wrong - way of describing it may lead to people just disabling the "background" and then, worst case, wondering why they cannot find the organism. I have found plenty of bios in just that "fringe" section you describe as background. There is no real need, from a gameplay point of view, to distinguish those two.

Also, old man rant: Supporting exclusively on discord is a terrible idea. The server is so cluttered (as discord tends to be) it is impossible to find something, stuff just gets buried. This trend to support stuff only on discord (it's not just you) is a bad one. You have a github page, use the issue tracker, for gods sake :). As you can see from Marvin's knee-jerk reaction in the other thread, it has potential to turn people off. Which is a pity, because the mod is brilliant.

Edit: This might go back to the misinterpretation that the overlay presents some kind of heatmap; it does not.

Last edited:
There is always the possibility I don't understand things correctly; but I have the feeling your interpretation of the different blue(ish) color layers is incorrect.

As I understand it, the two shades of blue do not mean one is the background and one denotes the biome to find the selected organism in. This - in my opinion wrong - way of describing it may lead to people just disabling the "background" and then, worst case, wondering why they cannot find the organism.

Well I think we'll have to agree to disagree, as I'm quite certain the smooth green areas represent increased likelihood of finding the target bio from the DSS

Let me briefly state my case:

i. In the DSS, as you cycle through each type of bio the blue/green overlay will change (different regions become covered by the smooth green colour). Therefore it must be providing some information about the target bio

ii. When I was first learning how to hunt biomes I watched a lot of YT videos, and they all say head towards the smooth green sections

Here's DTEA's video, but there's other examples as well

Source: https://youtu.be/z4YJA0m9Rdw?t=302

iii. Personal experience - I always find the bio I targeted in the DSS in the smooth green regions. When I want to find a different bio, I jump back into supercruise, change the blue/green overlay to the next one (via the DSS), and then again start looking in the smooth green areas. Some bacterium are only found in very small areas, and flying to the small patches of smooth green on the overlay enables me to find them. That approach has never let me down

Also, old man rant: Supporting exclusively on discord is a terrible idea.

If you look back through this thread you'll see two years worth of support messages, plus I help a lot of CMDRs via PM as well. Anyone is welcome to post here if they spot a bug or have trouble with anything, or send me a PM and I'll gladly help as much as I can

There's only two exclusive things on discord:
1. The closed beta for the CPM, for the reasons I've outlined in this post
2. The UI dev (Blue Mystic) doesn't visit these forums and only provides support for the UI via the discord or his Github

So I can't agree with the statement that I only provide support 'exclusively on discord'

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Well I think we'll have to agree to disagree, as I'm quite certain the smooth green areas represent increased likelihood of finding the target bio from the DSS
Fdev officially confirmed here on the forums that this is a 0/1 map, not a heatmap. The shading comes from the planetary surface shapes.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

ii. When I was first learning how to hunt biomes I watched a lot of YT videos, and they all say head towards the smooth green sections

Here's DTEA's video, but there's other examples as well

Source: https://youtu.be/z4YJA0m9Rdw?t=302

It's not like the Youtubers are the be-all-end-all-authority :). They have misinterpreted mechanics before. In this case DTEA et.al. are just wrong. I know those guys present themselves as game-mechanics experts, but often they are not. They are grind experts. DTEA still recommends Dav's Hope and promotes relog mechanics.

iii. Personal experience - I always find the bio I targeted in the DSS in the smooth green regions. When I want to find a different bio, I jump back into supercruise, change the blue/green overlay to the next one (via the DSS), and then again start looking in the smooth green areas. Some bacterium are only found in very small areas, and flying to the small patches of smooth green on the overlay enables me to find them. That approach has never let me down

I've flown to those snot-green shaded areas and not found a single one of the indicated organisms, and had great success in the cyan-blue fringe areas. In the end the overlay only shows where the environmental conditions are correct, but factors like terrain also matter. For example, for bacteria the overlay shows mountain areas in snot-green and planes as cyan, but you will never ever find bacteria patches anywhere other than flat planes. Well, I didn't.

If you look back through this thread you'll see two years worth of support messages, plus I help a lot of CMDRs via PM as well. Anyone is welcome to post here if they spot a bug or have trouble with anything, or send me a PM and I'll gladly help as much as I can

There's only two exclusive things on discord:
1. The closed beta for the CPM, for the reasons I've outlined in this post
2. The UI dev (Blue Mystic) doesn't visit these forums and only provides support for the UI via the discord or his Github

So I can't agree with the statement that I only provide support 'exclusively on discord'

I in no way wanted to belittle the length you go to personally to support the users here. Sorry if you got the impression, not my intention. What I meant more is... maybe call it passive support? Documentation for later generations?

A forum thread or discord is great for 1-on-1 support, but you must have noticed you answer the same questions and deal with the same issue over and over again, because they are not documented in an organized way anywhere.

One could argue that modern internet folks these days lack the reading ability anyway and need to be taken by the hand... but that would be very cynical of me ;). You are doing a great job helping people, i didn't doubt that. I'm old. I am used to issue trackers or maybe forums, where you could look for specific issue topics, and, in the case of forums, had one topic (or most often multiple topics) for a specific issue or information. In a single forum thread or on discord, everything is thrown into a melting pot, good luck finding what you are looking for.

This thread is now 58 pages long. I (as an exemplary mod user with an issue) not reading 58 pages to see if a specific issue has been dealt with. So I either bother you with a PM, or post it again this thread or discord, where people after me, again, will not find it because it disappears in the noise.

And my biggest issue: Discord is behind an account wall, what happens on discord cannot be seen by non-members and certainly not be archived by search engines. That's bad. Really bad. Really, really bad :).

Last edited:
To be clear, I'm not saying "do your own forum". But I really, REALLY hate the Discord account wall and Discord per se ;)

Yeah I understand, I used to be anti-discord as well (we're probably near the same age!)

I'll revise the first two posts on this thread to explain the installation and configuration step-by-step, plus how to install 3rd party mods.

On the main EDHM github page there's a link to a UI installation guide written by Blue Mystic, but I think it needs some minor updates

But yes I agree a detailed guide on this forum thread would be very useful, and I'll get onto it over the weekend

It's your own fault, you know. If your mod wasn't so good it wouldn't have become so big ;). Again, you're doing a great job, don't feel pressured by my rants. I just HATE Discord. Don't know if I mentioned that yet.

Hello everyone.
This might be a silly question, but is there any kind of "kill switch" in the Odyssey version of EDHM, like in the Horizons version (Shift F1 by default)? I didn't find any.

Thanks for this great mod, by the way.

Hello everyone.
This might be a silly question, but is there any kind of "kill switch" in the Odyssey version of EDHM, like in the Horizons version (Shift F1 by default)? I didn't find any.

Thanks for this great mod, by the way.

Hi, unfortunately not. The Ody mod is very different to the Horizons version, and involves literally hundreds more custom settings. It's impossible to turn them all off at the same time. However, over the next few weeks I'm developing a 'hotkey' theme changer, so you can press a button to swap to Elite default, then back to your theme. It's not exactly a 'kill switch' since it doesn't disable the mod, but it emulates Elite default

Top Bottom