200 credits bounty, 250M credits punishment

Threads like these are why I think low-value bounties should decay into fines after a short time. Sure, issue a bounty so assault victims can legally shoot back, but putting them on the hit list forever is overkill.

Even something like "as long as you maintain 0 notoriety, bounties become fines after 1hr/1000cr" or something like that would allow for lying low.

Then 200 credit bounties shouldn't exist. The game mechanic, as envisioned by FDev, makes no difference from 200 credits bounty and 200M credits bounty, from an NPC point of view. It's a simple yes/no switch, and that's what the whole root cause is.
well, you're wanted because you have the bounty, being wanted without a bounty would also cause people to complain.

Fdev are in a bit of a bind here:

100 CR bounty - people who don't understand C&P don't take it seriously and complain on the forums :)
10M bounty - it's still not actually that much, but more then the Scan mission ever pays (and you will mostly get a bounty even from just scanning witjout shooting), so it stops people taking those missions (or any other illegal one probably)
100M - people would pay attention, but then fdev risk a new meta appearing of people deliberately stacking the bounties and letting a mate kill them to claim the bounty - probably not desirable.

Basic issue is the game is quite good at telling you what is happening, but gives little insight into the consequences. Sure you are Wanted, but what does that mean? etc. Maybe they would send you an inbox message when you first trip over each state Hey, you are Wanted for the first time, check the Pilot's Handbook to find out more. Of course then you get killed while reading the handbook :)

100 CR bounty - people who don't understand C&P don't take it seriously and complain on the forums :)
Other thing is the game can't interpret intent. What's the difference between an "accidental shot[1]" and someone actually engaging? Not much... and if you don't become wanted for assaulting someone, there's no way for the victim to fight back until they're dead.

[1] In a world where people have genuinely said "My twin-C4 Plasma Accellerator accidentally hit someone"

I dunno. if I accidentally shot something and was told I had a bounty on my head I don't think I'd be blithely walking around, trying to go about my business like nothing had happened and doing things like checking my phone while I'm walking into unfamiliar territory. But that's just me.

Other thing is the game can't interpret intent.

Not in its current state, obviously.
Intent could be measured easily by assessing certain factors, such as:
  • Repeatability: was there ONE shot or many?
  • Continuity: was the engagement short (1-2 seconds) or did it last for minutes?
  • Chronology: was the engagement preceeded by other hostile actions (interdiction, wake sacn + follow, etc)
  • Dossier: is the attacker known for engaging in similar activities in the past? If so, were they happening years ago or recently?

What's the difference between an "accidental shot[1]" and someone actually engaging? Not much... and if you don't become wanted for assaulting someone, there's no way for the victim to fight back until they're dead.
[1] In a world where people have genuinely said "My twin-C4 Plasma Accellerator accidentally hit someone"

See above.

It's just a game for God's sake. The idea is that you play it for enjoyment and relaxation.:D

Yes, and what happened was anything but.

• Continuity: was the engagement short (1-2 seconds) or did it last for minutes?
  • Chronology: was the engagement preceeded by other hostile actions (interdiction, wake sacn + follow, etc)
  • Dossier: is the attacker known for engaging in similar activities in the past? If so, were they happening years ago or recently
I could kill another player without breaking any of those conditions.

Then 200 credit bounties shouldn't exist. The game mechanic, as envisioned by FDev, makes no difference from 200 credits bounty and 200M credits bounty, from an NPC point of view. It's a simple yes/no switch, and that's what the whole root cause is.

No, the root cause is that you were flying around carrying 250m in explo vouchers. That is taking a mighty big risk. And then you alt-tab out of the game. After already having commited a crime earlier, and being informed of something you don't understand. That is piling mistakes on ignorance on carelessness. I understand it is very uncool to have this happen, and you have my sympathies, but if you can pile all these mistakes on top of each other and still have little consequences then nothing matters at all.

I'm sorry OP, but what maybe you didn't know is that single "accidental" shot took a small child who was happily playing with their toys in their bedroom and caused significant damage to the settlement and put the life of everyone in that area at risk due to explosive decompression. You're a cold blooded murder and you needed to pay for your crime against humanity.

Yes, easy for you to say. Could be you don't remember having been a beginner...
That's the thing, if you would be a beginner the punishment would've been way smaller. A few thousand credits rebuy for a Sidewinder.

What I am trying to say is the game did a very poor job conveying information to me, the bounty size set wrong expectations, there is no differentiation between various degrees of crime gravity. This all adds up to a game mechanic that makes no sense.
It makes a lot of sense. There are fines and bounties. You get killed for bounties. That's the first thing I learned when I started playing the game.
The consequences you had to face are mostly unrelated to the crime system because they resulted from your own mistakes. If you would've paid the bounty at an IF like you are supposed to do, there wouldn't be any consequence.

Last edited:
Threads like these are why I think low-value bounties should decay into fines after a short time. Sure, issue a bounty so assault victims can legally shoot back, but putting them on the hit list forever is overkill.

Even something like "as long as you maintain 0 notoriety, bounties become fines after 1hr/1000cr" or something like that would allow for lying low.
Sounds good.

Basic issue is the game is quite good at telling you what is happening, but gives little insight into the consequences. Sure you are Wanted, but what does that mean? etc. Maybe they would send you an inbox message when you first trip over each state Hey, you are Wanted for the first time, check the Pilot's Handbook to find out more. Of course then you get killed while reading the handbook :)
"Loitering is a crime, punishable by death..."

Works for me.

Plus if I decide to claim that 200Cr bounty then I'm likely to spend more on multicanon ammo. And even if i do it with beams and I get 200Cr...I can buy...a limpet... :)

• Dossier: is the attacker known for engaging in similar activities in the past? If so, were they happening years ago or recently?

See above.

Yes, and what happened was anything but.
That sounds like a lot of effort just because 1/1000 people are unable to understand the difference between a fine and a bounty. I do agree with Screemonsters suggestion above though.

"Loitering is a crime, punishable by death..."

8602481168_01b0650a6e_b.jpg

Top Bottom