Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

I played that 2 months. Stopped because nothing moves. Used ship couple hours, everything else was on planet/teleports.
Fun but ... for space Elite is better, for planet - skyrim/witcher 3 are better.

I played that 2 months. Stopped because nothing moves. Used ship couple hours, everything else was on planet/teleports.
Fun but ... for space Elite is better, for planet - skyrim/witcher 3 are better.

Well, yeah - it's none of those things. So if that's what you want, play those. 🤷‍♀️

Let us know when you get bored of staring at empty space that you can't affect, or run out of scripted plots to wade through.

NMS is its own thing, and has far more variety & gameplay than any of them IMO. As long as you don't kid yourself on that it's anything other than pulp 50s sci/fantasy.

Last edited:
No, it's not a simulation. It's not like E: D at all in that regard.

But these things have little to no effect on actual gameplay. And there are definite similarities there - albeit NMS just has much much more of it.

For instance, even though the galaxy is "static", you can have an actual lasting effect on it. If you make a cave on a planet, that cave will persist & be visible for everyone.

You can't impact the galaxy in any way whatsoever in E: D. It's all smoke and mirrors.

it sufficeces to compare the flight models (NMS doesn't have one) to say that they are two completely different games.

It IS a hell of an update. I just wish I liked the core gameplay, but I just bounce off it every single time I try it again.

Maybe one more try? Why not.

It's not for everyone (I hate Mario games, loved by millions), but for those who do like the core gameplay it's one hell of an amazing game. My main problems are....pop in, still really bad and seen on the trailer! And the worst.....the temptation to just faff around on a planet for hours getting nothing really done other than filling my backpack with stuff.

This is the benchmark Odyssey will have to live up to. No complaining about "cartoon graphics". NMS make no bones that the game is about Legs, not Space.
It is quite odd, I've visted a handful of bodies today, ignoring my 'home' system which is an odball one anyway, (it has been 'toned down' a little) the new systems I've visited have been more 'believable' than previously, the one from the video is quite amazing, with ash floating in the air, very mountainous and oozing 'atmosphere'.
I've stopped in the next system visited as there appears to be enough to keep me occupied for a while, and 3 stars too :)

(When I say 'believable', it has to be taken in a sci-fi manner, not ED one - they no longer appear to have been designed by Disney, including flora & fauna)

I've got to admit. I was a day 1 purchaser of NMS and was incredibly disappointed after around 10 hours of playing. I would check it out a little after each update, but didn't put much real time into it. I started a fresh save a couple weeks ago and can honestly say that this has turned into a great game! I'm working through the main story line right now and am finding it incredibly interesting and diverse. I'll follow the main story until the end and then plan on branching out to the different arcs within the game.

NMS is NOT ED, but it doesn't need to be ED to provide a great gameplay experience. In fact, given what we've seen so far with ED and now Odyssey, it looks like ED is trying to become more like NMS (carriers, scanning on foot, fade to black to get into and out of your ship). The difference will be that ED will provide a more realistic "simulation" for these activities, and given FDevs current track record, I assume a much shallower one. For example, Scanning rocks and plants in NMS used to be just about identifying them and getting a little credit boost. The updates over the years have turned scanning things into a much more lasting and consequential activity. Now scanning is a way of unlocking secondary elements in things that are useful for harvesting when you mine. Once the secondary element is known, you now can extract it from all items of that type that you mine.
This type of gameplay element gives people a reason to scan their surrounding because it has a lasting impact on their gameplay experience. In ED, you scan something and listen to a recording or can select a sub-target and take one more action. After that initial interaction, the scanning activity serves no gameplay purpose. The scan doesn't help you in any lasting or meaningful way. Beyond the more thoughtful gameplay interactions, NMS has real stories progressively told through actual gameplay missions. I'm not saying ED needs to copy NMS, I'm just saying there seems to be a lot more thoughtfulness going into designing meaningful gameplay within NMS than there is in ED. Both are sandbox games, one just seems to have gameplay as a main focus and the other... I really don't know what the gameplay focus is other than grinding for some achievement in rank or money or engineering or looking at the same boring rock world with a different colored texture on it.

Look, I love ED. It may not sound like it sometimes, but ED is a truly unique offering. I want to see it get more compelling, deeper, and more thoughtful in its implementation. I think about ED and just have no will to play it at this point. I know I'll jump in, see that I'm 10 jumps from where I want to be and think... "Do I really want to stare at a loading screen for the next 5 minutes?" the answer is always "no", so I just don't bother. The game just isn't compelling, doesn't drive engagement, and frankly has too many pointless time wasting features. During my current playthrough of NMS, I haven't felt like this once. I have only traveled to two star systems in 20 hours because there is so much gameplay that has kept me around. I don't feel like I'm just wasting my time, ever. Every minute of gameplay has an objective I'm actively working towards and the methods are diverse and interesting. I don't just sit and stare at my screen for extended time periods.

One final thought. I have to say, Hello Games is just next level. They set the bar incredibly high for all other studios and should be used as a model of what a good developer should look like in the gaming industry (talking post 2017). They had a rough start with NMS and I think Sean learned a lot of hard lessons early on, but if you truly know the distance NMS has traveled to get from where it was to where it is, with nothing but free updates... well, it's no wonder HG got a big "Thank You" billboard purchased by their community across the street from their office.

Very, very tempted to pick this up. Specially with the Origins update. Love the storms, love the worms and even the arcady graphics style appeals to me.

Have the ED players formed a guild or squadron in NMS?

Top Bottom