News 2.4 - The Return Beta Information

This was announced 8 hours ago and there's only 40 replies. Is this thing on? Testing.. Testing. 1 2. 1 2.

Speaking of testing, what will be be testing if there's nothing to talk about in the livestreams? Thargoids are present from day 1 of going live, does this mean no testing their capabilities during beta? Is it just going to be regression testing? Inquiring minds must know.

This was announced 8 hours ago and there's only 40 replies. Is this thing on? Testing.. Testing. 1 2. 1 2.

Speaking of testing, what will be be testing if there's nothing to talk about in the livestreams? Thargoids are present from day 1 of going live, does this mean no testing their capabilities during beta? Is it just going to be regression testing? Inquiring minds must know.

Can see things going very iffy with the amount of 'live content' presumably not being included at all for testing considering the past history with Frontier and mission & behaviour bugs that made it into live even after extensive 5+ weeks of beta feedback reports.

I don't think we should at all be surprised if Thargoid encounters don't fling us into the middle of stars whilst they do the moonwalk and "What's up" by 4 non blonds pipes through our speakers.

Last edited:
First thing I'd guess would be Hull Repair Limpets, followed by new anti-thargoid weapons - to see how much Nerf they need before going live.
I'd imagine some new Engineers to mod them, new materials to search high and low for, and of course, how to best use them against our fellow commanders in trade ships as they approach CG's.

As per usual, the things I will be testing out most are any improvements or wholesale changes to missions (I am hoping there will be improvements to follow-on missions in particular). I am also hoping we can get a look at this new Search & Rescue and Science & Research Contacts.....to see how they work.

In case you haven't seen in Newsletter #186 which was sent out today, or if you don't subscribe to the Elite Dangerous Newsletter (you should!) we've announced details for the Beta for 2.4 The Return!

Here's what was posted in the Newsletter:

I must say, Dale, that whilst I am super excited about 2.4 beta, I do find the decision not to do any livestreams for it a little bit odd. From just the little teases you gave us at Lavecon, I feel quite certain that you could fill at least one 1 hour Livestream......especially if you made it a Q&A......without ruining any of the Narrative stuff :). I hope you can get Sandro, or any of the other Devs, to reconsider.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Great, 2 days after I'm back from holiday and I'm currently between jobs, so plenty of free time :)

Thanks FDEV! Looking forward to the patch notes.

Can see things going very iffy with the amount of 'live content' presumably not being included at all for testing considering the past history with Frontier and mission & behaviour bugs that made it into live even after extensive 5+ weeks of beta feedback reports.

I don't think we should at all be surprised if Thargoid encounters don't fling us into the middle of stars whilst they do the moonwalk and "What's up" by 4 non blonds pipes through our speakers.

Yeah that does worry me. FDev really should have a group of trusted players, under NDA, that they get to test this stuff out on before they make it widely available.

Based on previous betas (and some of the bugs which have popped up) : It'd be great to put have a fairly comprehensive list of the functionality in the beta (new and old) so beta players/testers can ensure they get full test coverage. It'd help avoid obvious bugs like the lifeless skimmers and hyperactive capital ships in the current release.

I know most players in the betas just make a bee-line for anything new and improved, but if there was a full list of things to try I'm sure many of us would see it almost as an achievement list to get through.

Yeah that does worry me. FDev really should have a group of trusted players, under NDA, that they get to test this stuff out on before they make it widely available.

Hmm, given they'd all be under NDA's how do we know certain "trusted players" aren't already testing out the narrative parts of the game? ;)

Hmm, given they'd all be under NDA's how do we know certain "trusted players" aren't already testing out the narrative parts of the game? ;)

Nothing would make me happier than to hear Ed thanking the community closed beta team when they release 2.4.

Last edited:
I understand that Thargoid content etc. won't be part of the beta, but what does the term "content" mean in this specific context?

Story events, new discoveries, of course. GalNet news, related CGs, of course. But what about the "new weapons to fight the Thargoids", for example? Will they be in the beta? Will we be able to test them for bugs, balance etc? Will we be able to check out the means to acquire them, and how they interact with the current gear system (buy gear with credits -> go to engineer and play the enchantment lottery)?

And to be absolutely frank, I mean this not just in a "we should test this so it does not get released with major bugs, showstoppers, or crass balance issues", but I totally also mean that I want to know what kind of grind and how much thereof will have to be done to just get back to the status quo after 2.4 goes live, how much of our current gear (if any) gets obsolete and thus whether it is worth even doing anything any more until 2.4 (which is why I am already sitting on some materials for some planned upgrades but have not used them and stopped playing a few weeks ago, no point wasting all those materials on modding some lasers if in 2.4 I may need to get and then mod a new set of lasers anyway...). And, ultimately also, how much preparation we can do beforehand to deal with the grind-back-to-status-quo as efficiently as possible (i.e. fulfill preconditions for unlocking new engineers, collect materials needed for new blueprints). Like, for example, if there is a new engineer required to unlock for Thargoid-related gear (new items and/or upgrades) and that engineer requires a certain reputation with a specific faction to unlock, I and many others sure as heck would want to grind that faction reputation before 2.4 goes live, just as we did before 2.1.

It's VERY unlikely that there will be any anti Thargoid weapon in 2.4. This first introduction will show us how they have superior technology. I think there will also be no full scale war just yet, there will be some skirmishes and it will be possible to destroy or force them to retreat with huge effort. These encounters will make it possible to develop anti thargoid weapons for a later update with the joint efforts of CMDRs and super powers.
Introducing some special anti thargoid weapon at the same time they arrive doesn't make any sense from a story telling point of view.

It's VERY unlikely that there will be any anti Thargoid weapon in 2.4. This first introduction will show us how they have superior technology. I think there will also be no full scale war just yet, there will be some skirmishes and it will be possible to destroy or force them to retreat with huge effort. These encounters will make it possible to develop anti thargoid weapons for a later update with the joint efforts of CMDRs and super powers.
Introducing some special anti thargoid weapon at the same time they arrive doesn't make any sense from a story telling point of view.

Exactly this +1

Top Bottom