News 2.4 The Return - Response to release date speculation!

LOL, great![where is it]

Now I am chewing on my finger nails, because I am on vacation the first two weeks in October and not at my PC...:eek:

I'm actually hoping it won't be released until the 24th or so, as I'll be on holiday for a week.

I'd hate to be away at or right after the launch. :(

...in the interest of managing expectations...
...next ...Thursday ... we’ll discuss ... preparation for 2.4 so that you're ready for when the update comes. We’ll also be giving... a date of when you can expect to be exploring the content for yourself!

Announcement of an announcement of a tentative release coming late next week.

Actually useful info since it looks like I don't need to worry about logging in or checking for daily announcements for at least a few weeks. Delayed announcements usually mean the actual release is a ways off.

Thank you very very much for that info. You probably just saved yourselves hundreds of thousands of page refreshes, if not more! ;) Not that Im an F5 addict or anything like that. Should make your IT guys happy. lol

Using tea leaves and averages.....

2.0 -> 2.1 = 163 days
2.1 -> 2.2 = 154 days
2.2 -> 2.3 = 166 days
2.3 -> 2.4 = 161 days* + 1 day for good luck = 20th September 2017 (33rd Anniversary of original release)

* average number of days between previous release dates.

Edit: FWIW dates between final beta and release have been between one and two weeks, so make of that what you will....

Last edited:
Any chance we could get some control over the ambient lighting in the cockpit? Who drives around with their car's dome light on at night anyway? Maybe it's a British thing...

I'm actually hoping it won't be released until the 24th or so, as I'll be on holiday for a week.

I'd hate to be away at or right after the launch. :(

Well, if you miss it you'll probably only miss the outrage after [insert odd bug] causes [insert something really unpleasant] to [insert large number] ships. ;)

Thanks very much for this update. For my part, I feel you should launch 2.4 when you think you've got it ready. If you give it to us sooner just to meet some expected date of ours, we'll just kvetch about bugs. NASA had at one point a program they called "Faster, better, cheaper." That program launched a probe to Mars that ended up just slamming into the surface where it was supposed to soft-land. Some things cannot be rushed.

In the stream next week on Thursday 14 September at 7PM BST, we’ll be bringing on our developers for a lore livestream where we’ll discuss some of the story in preparation for 2.4 so that you're ready for when the update comes. We’ll also be giving more information about the launch of 2.4 The Return, and a date of when you can expect to be exploring the content for yourself!

Will you be providing this information in a forum post for those of us who can't view the live stream?

Hi everyone,

We’ve been noticing a lot of conversations and speculation regarding when 2.4 will be released, and many are guessing at this week. To respond to all of these speculations in one go, in the interest of managing expectations and being open in our communications with you, we wanted to give you a clearer idea about when we’ll give you that information.

In the stream next week on Thursday 14 September at 7PM BST, we’ll be bringing on our developers for a lore livestream where we’ll discuss some of the story in preparation for 2.4 so that you're ready for when the update comes. We’ll also be giving more information about the launch of 2.4 The Return, and a date of when you can expect to be exploring the content for yourself!

Thank you for your participation in the recent betas, and thank you for your patience so far. We’re excited to bring you 2.4 The Return and look forward to the discoveries that the community makes about our alien visitors.
So Frontier... Nothing to do here.

Thanks very much for this update. For my part, I feel you should launch 2.4 when you think you've got it ready. If you give it to us sooner just to meet some expected date of ours, we'll just kvetch about bugs. NASA had at one point a program they called "Faster, better, cheaper." That program launched a probe to Mars that ended up just slamming into the surface where it was supposed to soft-land. Some things cannot be rushed.
NASA could have built and launched a probe to mars in the time it's taking them to get through the horizons season. it would have landed and given us information sent it back and now be slowly rusting away. meanwhile we're waiting for a patch to drop.

Top Bottom