2 vipers vs 3 anacondas at FDS

No, of course I didn't. I just said that this exact same method was (ab)used over and over and over under any circomstances, rendered super easy by the fact that a running away Viper is uncatchable, hence unvulnerable. The foes being 3 Anacondas or one mere Cobra doesn't do much to change the tactic. I'm not saying it's that bad, and obviously fighting a much stronger foe such as a Conda will require that kind of tactic. But I've seen this in my Cobra way too many time now, that's why I don't want to give Viper pilots any opportunity to fight me anymore. If they have the upper hand, I'm roasted. If I have the upper hand, they can and will run away. People play as they want, I'm ok with that, but I stand my ground: vipers do not require much skills.

hmmm, i don't bother with running away enemies as they already lost in my eyes, even if they manage to kill me afterwards :)
still, i don't get it, WHY you are flying cobra if there are so many lame viper pilots who don't need skill to fly their vipers? (just buy a viper and teach those unskilled pilots a lesson) :p

Personally, after I got my Viper, upgrading directly from my starting Sidewinder, I loved it. I LOVED the speed and maneuverability I got. As a newer player who's used to playing other space sims like earlier Elite games, Freespace, etc etc, I was in love with my new craft...

Then I actually put more than the basic laser on it, and quickly found out why the Cobra Mk. III is so much better. You can't jump far at ALL the moment the Viper gets loaded with anything. I jumped from Erenin to LHS 3006 and down to LHS 3262, just to visit, and found out I was stuck in a 3-system diameter because I bought a C4 hard point weapon while I was there. I had to end up selling a LOAD of new equipment I'd bought just to get back to the primary mass of systems we currently have.

That alone made me upgrade again to the Cobra. I love flying the Viper, but unless I want to stay in the same area for a prolonged period, I don't use it much.

calling viper a single cheapest boat means you never bought one, fully kitted it's price is close to million credits.
btw, i can buy 5 anacondas so am i entitled to kill 5 condas at same time? ;p

And do you need this million credits worth Viper for taking out Anaconda? :p Most players could do it with stock Viper with some cannons, with zero risk. All big ships are currently just fresh meat for single little fighter. Given that they even can not take as much as 10% of their cargo, the whole system is not very rational. Maybe for people who prefer dogfighting overall, this system is very attractive, but for those who count on much more in the ED, unfortunately not. I am not against Viper but so powerful ship with ability to equip cannons should cost around 2-4 millions. It's just ordinary economics. BTW I bought Conda five days after starting playing in SB. Having 20-30 millions is not very impressive for now. I would be impressed if someone could show me taking out three experienced Vipers pilots with one Conda:)

Last edited:
As someone who has used a viper fitted with four cannons, yes, it is the most overpowered ship in the game.

You are untouchable.

Destroying an anaconda is laughably easy; regardless if the anaconda pilot is decent. I personally think that the viper's speed needs to be nerfed, or some module added to slow fast ships down. Currently, a viper can run from any fight unscathed. Even when caught unaware.

Cannons also need to be nerfed. Low power/high damage/quick trigger is godmode tier.

Last edited:
hmmm, i don't bother with running away enemies as they already lost in my eyes, even if they manage to kill me afterwards :)
still, i don't get it, WHY you are flying cobra if there are so many lame viper pilots who don't need skill to fly their vipers? (just buy a viper and teach those unskilled pilots a lesson) :p

Because:

-the Viper is apparently getting the nerf hammer soon. So I'd rather not get too used to its current overpowered state. I hate disapointment :D

-the Cobra is an all-rounder, and thus fits more my playstyle. If I have to lose some to a few vipers, so be it, but I'll stay in there.

I tried the Viper and I can see why no one (including an anaconda) stands a chance against it. The Cobra maneuver like a a brick in comparison, and since it's quite maneuvrable, that's saying something. And why not, after all the Viper a combat ship, it should be easy to outmaneuver most ships with it (well, maybe the eagle should have that honor, actually). But the cargo bay is a deal breaker.

And do you need this million credits worth Viper for taking out Anaconda? :p Most players could do it with stock Viper with some cannons, with zero risk. All big ships are currently just fresh meat for single little fighter. Given that they even can not take as much as 10% of their cargo, the whole system is not very rational. Maybe for people who prefer dogfighting overall, this system is very attractive, but for those who count on much more in the ED, unfortunately not. I am not against Viper but so powerful ship with ability to equip cannons should cost around 2-4 millions. It's just ordinary economics. BTW I bought Conda five days after starting playing in SB. Having 20-30 millions is not very impressive for now. I would be impressed if someone could show me taking out three experienced Vipers pilots with one Conda:)

if you read before you would see that there was an argument that viper pilots without enough cash shouldn't be allowed to attack condas at all, i was just making fun of that, that's why the money talk :) also after 20-30m there's nothing to do except dogfight, when to practice dying if not now? :)

you can equip canons on sidewinder as well, so that point about paying millions for a viper is irrelevant and 2 C2 cannons are good enough for medium ships, also cannons will get serious ammo reduction soon (sub 50) but never heard about damage reduction, they now are close to rail guns and that's developer intention all along, but with sub 50 rounds cannons will be much less effective for long sessions, i killed like 600 ships with one load out (2100 rounds) and now i can't cash it because apparently 700 vouchers can't be handled by game at once, at least i found a bug ;)

what is really weird is that you are speaking about cannons as overpowered things that alone can win battles, while in reality flying is how you win battles and not what weapons you have, currently developers "balanced" all laser weapons the way that they are completely useless, i don't know why they did it, but rail guns are useless and most laser weapons are useless, so if you tested weapons you will use multi-cannons and cannons only, and i was killed by pilot with multi-cannons, so no, cannons do not win the battle but how you fly the ship does :) and most PC's are flying with cannons in conflict zones so nobody has weapon advantage.

the viper "nerf" will include increased shields and decreased jump range, which already is 3-4 systems and making boost slower will actually make viper much more dangerous as you cannot turn at 500m/s efficiently now :)
i would like to see any conda taking 2 experienced vipers, maybe full missile load out could achieve that.

interesting that the opinions differ a lot here and that's a good thing, like conda has no chance against single viper (not true, good conda pilot can make good viper pilot run occasionally);
or that experienced conda pilot can take out 2 experienced vipers, i want to see that :) as i think 2 good viper pilots will kill any conda any day currently. when turrets will be improved and multiple shield zones introduced as well as some serious upgrade capapabilities and other weapons introduced that might and probably will change, as normally i would say it would require 3 vipers to kill one conda easy and 2 vipers to have even a chance.

<REDACTED>

your statement is silly at best. if someone says that can do better why should i not propose having fun together and gain experience in the process?

never even said i am good pilot, just showed how fun can be group pvp, if someone points out that he can pilot conda better then i would like to see that and not because i have a point to make but because i want to see what conda can do and i don't care who wins, i only care process, if that's e-swinging then you are very .. sensitive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Comparing an Anaconda 1vs1, or 2vs2, to a Viper isn't particularly fair.

Just because it is the most expensive ship in Beta doesn't mean it should automatically be the best at everything. I would expect a Viper 1vs1 to be a pretty tough challenge for it.

The Anaconda isn't a fighter. It's quite clearly designed to take on bigger, slower, ships. That's why it's the only ship in game with that big meaty weapon slot.

As the ship sizes increase, the disparity between weapon lock speed and shield strength increases exponentially, to the point where a ship of a certain size will rarely be able to kill a small fighter but it's shields are so great that the fighter could never kill it either.

That's the gap that a ship like the Anaconda will fill.

You can see this being pretty evident when you get an Anaconda vs a Lakon-9. Not even the Viper is as effective at disabling a space cow as the Conda. Really demonstrates what it's there for.

Top Bottom