Horizons 29,000LY to go and only 5% hull left!

Find the most fringe system in the bubble coming home from your direction as one NPC interdiction and you dead. :eek:
Fly safe and fast CMDR as am 73.4% sure you will make it back. o7 :D

OK, so I'm returning home

Emergency return diary Day 1:
Start System: Skombuia TH-V d2-1393
Distance to SOL: 28,972.62LY
Todays flight time: 3hrs 6min
End System: Hypoae Audst JX-B d13-1494
Distance to SOL: 26,113.55LY
Distance travelled (relative to SOL): 2859.07LY
Systems visited: 99

Good Ship 'GetTheHellOuttaMyWay' Hull Status: 5%

So, figured I might as well get started. No use putting this off. Watching 'You Me and the Apocalypse' in the background (sort of appropriate) and I settled into a routine familiar to most explorers. Arrive in system. Aim at primary body. Initiate surface scan of the star and start a system scan. Wait for the BONG. Skim star if possible. Aim at next system. Initiate FSD, and throttle to zero once in Hyperspace. Because of necessity I'm only scanning bodies beyond the primary one if they are pretty much in view when I arrive and very close by. This routine means that even with a couple of short breaks I'm averaging less than 2 minutes per system which isn't too shabby.

I seem to be travelling through a region with a lot of Neutron stars and White Dwarf stars. I also found 3 systems with Black Holes as their primaries, so some good exploration data being gathered. :) No worries so far. Closest shave was when I hit about 5 Neutron Stars in a row and the tank was on fumes. Luckily the 6th and last star was F type, otherwise I might have been in bother.

But the eyelids are getting heavy now, and I know from long experience that if I start flying on autopilot then my FSD exits aren't always the smoothest. That is something I can't risk right now.

End of day 1.

MODs, could you please edit the thread title to:
'29,000LY to go and only 5% hull left!' thanks

Last edited:
Some of us /only/ play in Open.

Well, thank you very much for coming along and adding absolutely nothing to this thread. Except, perhaps, a pathetic attempt at making a "subtle" assertion that only playing in open somehow makes you a superior player, and solo players unworthy. Sadly this kind of rhetoric really only works on people totally lacking self esteem, or who haven't gotten out of elementary school yet. The rest of us DON'T CARE!

And if I'm incorrect, prey tell, what was the point of this deep bit of wisdom you have blessed us with?

Good Day Sir.

Back OT. @Slugsie, for future reference, always kit out with an A spec power plant. It doesn't have to be the biggest one, just one that will power everything. They dissipate heat better. And if you all ready have one please disregard.;)

LLaP
S1E

OK, so I'm returning home

Emergency return diary Day 1:
Start System: Skombuia TH-V d2-1393
Distance to SOL: 28,972.62LY
Todays flight time: 3hrs 6min
End System: Hypoae Audst JX-B d13-1494
Distance travelled (relative to SOL): 2859.07LY
Systems visited: 99

Nice run! Keep it Rolling! I'm counting on you! And rooting as well!

Good Ship 'GetTheHellOuttaMyWay' Hull Status: 5%

That good Commander made my day!! I'm still laughing! Much thanks!

LLaP
S1E

I have landed on many Metal-Rich planets by now its not really any diffrent then other planet types. Its all about the Gravity.

All has been said, head back carefully and cash in on your hard earned money.
I'll be following your thread in hopes of seeing you arriving home safely, just be extra cautious when docking - I don't wish you to go poof right at the station after such a journey...

Would you mind if I added you to friends? The Galaxy in OPEN looks a little better when you open the map and see others on their voyages :)

Nice run! Keep it Rolling! I'm counting on you! And rooting as well!

That good Commander made my day!! I'm still laughing! Much thanks!

LLaP
S1E

I thankyou, and my ship thanks you too.

I have landed on many Metal-Rich planets by now its not really any diffrent then other planet types. Its all about the Gravity.

As I said, and I don't know if it makes any difference, this wasn't a metal rich planet, it was a metal planet. 100% metal. That in itself was the reason I landed on it hoping to find plenty of ores. I can understand that maybe such planets have 'special' properties, I just wasn't aware of any.

All has been said, head back carefully and cash in on your hard earned money.
I'll be following your thread in hopes of seeing you arriving home safely, just be extra cautious when docking - I don't wish you to go poof right at the station after such a journey...

Would you mind if I added you to friends? The Galaxy in OPEN looks a little better when you open the map and see others on their voyages :)

I'm generally pretty cavalier about my landings, typically going from 7.5km out asking for landing permission to being on the pad in about a minute. Trust me when I say that won't be the case when I make it back. :) No problem with adding me.

As I said, and I don't know if it makes any difference, this wasn't a metal rich planet, it was a metal planet. 100% metal. That in itself was the reason I landed on it hoping to find plenty of ores. I can understand that maybe such planets have 'special' properties, I just wasn't aware of any.
Metal-rich and 100% Metal is the same as far as I know, all metal-rich planets I have seen have been 100% Metal and vice versa. Not sure if it is possible that one comes without the other but it does not matter anyway. What the planet is made off does not effect your ship, Gravity does.

I've noticed that landings on surfaces (planets, outposts, surface installations) tend to give more damage than in a "proper" station.

I assume that you'll be super careful nearer the bubble, maybe get some friends to wing-up if you're in open if you all have Asps there's a good chance of decoys!

Slugsie, got no idea why you're taking so much damage, sorry.

I do know know if you're 29,000 LY out with 5% hull left, HEAD HOME NOW! Stop landing, set fastest routes, and be careful. You have MILLIONS & MILLIONS of credits of data. One more little screw up, and Puff, all gone. On the plus side you'll be back at base real quick. I wouldn't even bother scanning planets. Boom & Zoom. You still get your name on the system, and done right, with good jump range, you can knock out 1000LY in 35-45 minutes. The 65,000 light year club ain't going anywhere. You're 29,000 LY out, with 5% hull, in a straight line to finish you goal, you have 101,000 LY left. The math is not on your side for joining that club this trip.

I can't imagine what I would do losing that much data. Luckily I live alone so no one would see my cry!

Best of luck Commander!

LLaP
S1E

Impeccable advice, convincingly put.

My current location puts me nearly 29,000LY from Sol, and this is the furthest I've been in this direction. I don't really want to turn around as it's taken me a month to get here with the amount of playtime I have available. I was hoping to join the 65,000LY club, I guess I'll need to be super cautious now to achieve that.
What i wonder the most about is the fact that Slugsie said, that it took him month to get there but he could actually land on planets and drive around with his SRV.
At the time he started there were no planetary landings and how can you outfit and reload a planetary landing site/vehilce hangar in deep space/outer rim. just curious how that is possible, bc none of my ships have been upgraded with this when Horizons came out 4 weeks ago.

Last edited:
What i wonder the most about is the fact that Slugsie said, that it took him month to get there but he could actually land on planets and drive around with his SRV.
At the time he started there were no planetary landings and how can you outfit and reload a planetary landing site/vehilce hangar in deep space/outer rim. just curious how that is possible, bc none of my ships have been upgraded with this when Horizons came out 4 weeks ago.
-
hmmm... that IS a conundrum...
4 weeks ago the game came out..... and a month ago Slugsie left on his epic adventure.... With an SRV to boot.
I think this one is beyond me to try and figure out... <Shatner voice> is it.... even.... possible!?!
-
:p

Last edited:
was just wondering if i missed an opportunity of free credits given by FD :p
In that case i should have checked my open class 8 compartment slot for a vehicle hanger and sell it lol

Last edited:

Wow, really that hard to figure it out. I left on the day Horizons was released. That's virtually a month ago. Sorry I wasn't precise enough. ;)

Emergency return diary Day 2:
Start System: Hypoae Audst JX-B d13-1494
Todays flight time: 2hrs 0min
End System: Theemeia XM-W d1-669
Distance to SOL: 23,824.66LY
Todays Distance travelled (relative to SOL): 2288.89LY
Cumulative distance travelled (relative to SOL): 5147.96LY
Systems visited: 76

Good Ship 'GetTheHellOuttaMyWay' Hull Status: Hanging on in at 5%

Second day of my emergency trip home. Marvels Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. being todays viewing entertainment of choice.

Not as much flight time today, but still decent progress. In fact it was a pretty uneventful couple of hours flying. Mostly scoopable stars, with a decent smattering of Neutron Stars and White Dwarves thrown in. Paid a bit more attention to fuel scooping, so no dramas there today. Stopping off for the night at a nice big Carbon Star. My current flight path is keeping me roughly 1,500Ly above the galactic plane. That's going to have to decrease significantly as I leave the 'bulge' if I want to be able to cross the gap between the arms with any level of ease.

I seem to have improved my Minutes per System time, just over 1.5 minutes on average today. I'd have to work quite hard (and maybe fit my flight seat with a commode) to better that to any significant degree.

With all the cans of Coke Zero I'm consuming, I'm starting to wonder if I can patch the hull up a little with small sheets of aluminium. ;)

End of day 2.

Top Bottom