4 RESKIN animal META-WISHLIST!

American black bear
Masai giraffe
Indian green peafowl
Scimitar horned oryx

DLCs
Canadian lynx
Richardson's ground squirrel
Just note the scimitar horned oryx isn't on the list. The closest I can think is the sable antelope, but it has a xompletely different upper torso and head shapes, so its kinda iffy in my opinion.

The problem with genus is that it can be all over the place. The grey kangaroo and Red kangaroo for example are not even in the same family, despite converging to nearly the same morpholigical bodies, while the lion and leopard are in the same genus despite massive morphological differences and changes in lifestyle.

Heck the three-toed sloth and two-toed sloth are thought to have split over 20 million years ago, despite converging to nearly the same body types.
Both species of grey kangaroo and the red kangaroo are in the family Macropodidae, I'm not sure where you got them being in different families from.

I would still argue in favour of the more concrete taxonomy. I wouldn't really say that a striped hyena is just a "reskin" of a spotted hyena, for example.

Question though. Because I consider the dromedary a 1 to 1 reskin of the bactrian camel in game, just with 1 hump instead of 2 and less hairy. Why would the difference of 1 vs 2 humps be more of a difference than a lemur with or without a beard? And why is it more of a difference than for instance a llama vs vicunia? I would argue that there's more differences between llamas and vicunas than between dromedaries and bactrian camels?

Both species of grey kangaroo and the red kangaroo are in the family Macropodidae, I'm not sure where you got them being in different families from.

I would still argue in favour of the more concrete taxonomy. I wouldn't really say that a striped hyena is just a "reskin" of a spotted hyena, for example.
You are correct about the kangaroos, but they are still in different genera.

Regarding the Hyena, I've been told that adding/changing fur on a model is as easy as a reskin (as seen in the fixed Binturong and the beard of the B&W ruffed lemur), so I added animals with the same model but more/less hair than their counterparts, like the striped hyena and wisent.

Question though. Because I consider the dromedary a 1 to 1 reskin of the bactrian camel in game, just with 1 hump instead of 2 and less hairy. Why would the difference of 1 vs 2 humps be more of a difference than a lemur with or without a beard? And why is it more of a difference than for instance a llama vs vicunia? I would argue that there's more differences between llamas and vicunas than between dromedaries and bactrian camels?
Think of it in a computer model kind of way. The skin/hair is just a texture applied to a model. The model is the one responsible for all the animations.

So a "reskin" in this case would mean animal that could be added without touching the model, aside from cosmetic changes. The two camels have completely different bodies, and as a result two different ways of moving, and thus require changes to the model (plus they have different faces, but the bactrian in the game actually has a more dromedary like face shape).

Not to mention that they are so similar they can easily interbreed and produce fertile offspring. The main morphological differences are the number of humps and amount of hair.
camel-breeds_53c79e1624694_w1500.jpg

Throwing my two cents into here, from a zoological perspective, there may be some clear differences as what's a very different animal that are all internal; those differences may not really affect that much externally, thus reskins would be much easier to apply because that's literally all you're doing - using a different skin for it. Using the Grey/red Kangaroo and Striped/Spotted Hyena as examples. Yes, we acknowledge that zoologically, they're different. But for a game that's relying on mainly visuals, not so much.

@yoav_r , exactly, just what you said above. :giggle:

Just note the scimitar horned oryx isn't on the list. The closest I can think is the sable antelope, but it has a xompletely different upper torso and head shapes, so its kinda iffy in my opinion.
Isn't the only big difference in look between the scimitar and the other oryxes the horns and the colors? I don't see how that is a bigger difference than the shapes of the antlers between fallow and axis deer. And I imagine antlers a more complicated to design.

Isn't the only big difference in look between the scimitar and the other oryxes the horns and the colors? I don't see how that is a bigger difference than the different antlers between fallow and axis deer.
Whoops, you're correct! since nobody voted for them yet, I'm switching to the Persian fallow deer. I'de glad if a modder could give their two cents on how much effort does it take to change antlers.

Think of it in a computer model kind of way. The skin/hair is just a texture applied to a model. The model is the one responsible for all the animations.

So a "reskin" in this case would mean animal that could be added without touching the model, aside from cosmetic changes. The two camels have completely different bodies, and as a result two different ways of moving, and thus require changes to the model (plus they have different faces, but the bactrian in the game actually has a more dromedary like face shape).
I'd say that the 'completely different bodies' is mostly optical due to the difference in hair, with no significant different ways of moving, and the necessary changes to the face and humps are cosmetic and easily made :p

But I see we don't agree on this and that's fine.

I mean, just as an attempt to fill some gaps for the shortlist

African Penguin: Magellanic, Humboldt, Galapagos Penguins
Alpine Ibex: Nubian, Spanish, Siberian and Walia Ibex
Arctic/Timber Wolves: There are a ton of Grey Wolf subspecies, plus Red Wolf
Baird's/Malayan Tapirs: Lowland and Mountain Tapir
Bengal/Siberian Tigers: Various other subspecies
Black-tailed Prarie Dog: 4 other prarie dog species
Bornean Orangutan: Smatran and Tapanuli Orangutans
Colombian White-Faces Capuchin: various other Capuchins
Common Ostrich: Somali Ostrich
Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman: Spectacled Caiman
Eurasian Lynx: Bobcat
European Badger: Asian Badger, Japanese Badger
Formosan Black Bear: Other Asian Black Bear subspecies
Gemsbok: Any of the other 3 oryx species
Greater Flamingo: several of the other Flamingo species - Chilean and American best match
Grizzly/Himalayan Brown Bear: Numerous other brown bear subspecies
Japanese Macaque: Numerous other macaque species
Mandrill: Drill
Nile Monitor: Various other Monitor lizard species
North American Beaver: Eurasian Beaver
Reticulated Giraffe: Other Giraffes - Masai would be my vote (giraffe taxonomy is... weird)
West African Lion: Other Lion subspecies/populations
Western Chimpanzee: other chimpanzee subspecies
Western Lowland Gorrilla: Mountain Gorilla, Eastern Lowland Gorrilla, Cross River Gorilla

Ooh, cool.

Here we to, DarthQuell's Rockin' Reskins:

I wanted to make 1 reskin animal from each continent, so there:
  • Base game
    1. Coyote - gray wolf reskin
    2. Masai giraffe - reticulated giraffe reskin
    3. Greater rhea - common ostrich reskin
    4. Barbary ape - Japanese macaque reskin
  • DLC
    1. Black (Woodward's) wallaroo - red kangaroo reskin
    2. Bobcat - European lynx reskin

Last edited:
Ooh, cool.

Here we to, DarthQuell's Rockin' Reskins:

I wanted to make 1 reskin animal from each continent, so there:
  • Base game
    1. Coyote - gray wolf reskin
    2. Masai giraffe - reticulated giraffe reskin
    3. Greater rhea - common ostrich reskin
    4. Lion-tailed macaque - Japanese macaque reskin
  • DLC
    1. Yellow-footed rock wallaby - red kangaroo reskin
    2. Red deer - fallow deer reskin
I added the Greater rhea and coyote to the list!

The wallaby, red deer and lion tailed macaque don't pass the requirement of having (nearly) the same model, so you can replace them with animals from the list.

Isn't the Coyote too different?

Green Peafowl
Sumatran Tiger
Przewalski's Horse (if it's too different, I'd choose the Grevy Zebra)
Since the Red Fox isn't allowed, I'll choose the European Wolf

Wanted to choose the Vervet Monkey (made from the female Proboscis Monkey) but I think it would be too different after looking at Pictures again

Not sure yet about DLC "Reskins". Might add them later if I come up with something

Main Game:
1. Arabian oryx [VU] (for Gemsbok)
2. Gaur [VU] (for African buffalo)
3. West African giraffe [VU] (for Reticulated giraffe)
Giraffe_koure_niger_2006.jpg

4. Somali wild donkey [CR] (for Plains Zebra)
Wild-African-Ass.jpg

For DLC
5. Ethiopian Wolf [EN] (for Dhole) -- It's one of the rarest and most threatened canid species on the planet, as its total population does not reach 550 individuals found in several isolated areas of the mountains of Ethiopia
1280px-Ethiopian_wolf_(Canis_simensis_citernii).jpg

6. Black rhinoceros [CR] (for Southern white rhinoceros)

Seom
Isn't the Coyote too different?

Green Peafowl
Sumatran Tiger
Przewalski's Horse (if it's too different, I'd choose the Grevy Zebra)
Since the Red Fox isn't allowed, I'll choose the European Wolf

Wanted to choose the Vervet Monkey (made from the female Proboscis Monkey) but I think it would be too different after looking at Pictures again

Not sure yet about DLC "Reskins". Might add them later if I come up with something
I'm thinking the coyote may also be too different. They're usually a lot leaner and smaller than Timber Wolves. Of course, there's so many subspecies of Timber Wolves, it'd be easy to find one that is similar to a coyote, so maybe not.

Seom

I'm thinking the coyote may also be too different. They're usually a lot leaner and smaller than Timber Wolves. Of course, there's so many subspecies of Timber Wolves, it'd be easy to find one that is similar to a coyote, so maybe not.
Honestly, I've never seen a Coyote in my life, and looking at pictures on google, it looks extremely similar to hot climate subspecies of the gray wolfz like the mexican or arabian wolf. I'd be glad for more input as I've never seen this animal.

Top Bottom