Community Event / Creation Uncle Jack Shaftoe's Guide to Crime & Punishment (updated for 3.0)

Uncle Jack Shaftoe's Guide to Crime & Punishment (updated for 3.1+)

After reading about the sweeping changes to Crime & Punishment in 3.0 from Ed Lewis' post I decided to redo the flow-chart I made a couple of years back. The info in Ed's post was great, but my mind has trouble keeping all of that straight whilst I'm reading it...pictures work a lot better for me. Hopefully I haven't gotten anything wrong, be sure to let me know if I have. In a nutshell, once you've gone and gotten yourself a Fine, Bounty, or Power Bounty the only way to get rid of them is through the light green trapezoids (not to be confused with Thargoids) along the bottom. I've made a 'light' version as well as a 'dark' version for those of us who like to fly with the lights off. Keep on flying, Cmdrs!

Link to Light background version
fMLa4NC.png
6XjDfy2

Link to Dark background version
dx8WpJJ.png

Link to Russian translation (light background) by igi2.

Revision History:
8/9/2018: Added Russian translation (light background). Thank you igi2!
7/1/2018: Updated to include changes (mostly the ability to 'turn yourself in' at Security Contacts) mentioned in the 3.1 Update change log.
3/27/2018: Updated to include Pilot's Federation Bounties, and to specify 'hot' module cleaning cost from Frontier C&P FAQ updated on 27 March 2018.
3/26/2018: Updated to reflect changes to patches 3.0.3 and 3.0.4.
3/7/2018: Updated to 3.0.2, mainly adding info regarding murder-by-ramming never causing a Notoriety gain, regardless of proximity to station.
3/2/2018: Added path to pay off Fines at Security Contact regardless of Notoriety, based upon this post from Sandro Sammarco.
3/1/2018: Initial release of version corresponding to new Crime & Punishment changes in Elite: Dangerous 3.0 "Beyond".
8/18/2015: Original version reflecting C&P mechanic (pre 3.0) can be seen here

Last edited:
I do a lot of surface scanning missions. Where do those fall on the chart?
I think you get a trespass fine, not sure about bounty.

Also, where does destroying an emplacement generator fall?

I think my fines and bounties must be preventing missions from coming up on the board. I plan to check this out later tonight by paying of my bounties and see if that helps.

If you can't access station services or missions are "blocked" the system should TELL you it is fines. Perhaps it does?

Last edited:
I'm late to the party, but this is awesome work. I might actually be able to understand why parts of my ship are wanted somewhere for some reason now!

What does the "modules hot" thing mean? A friend of mine committed a 400cr offense in system 1, got killed in a CZ in system 2 and respawned in system 3 after paying the rebuy. All the modules he has in his ship are marked "LEGAL ISSUES", and the ship spawned without any optional (hardpoints, utility mounts, optional internal) modules. The missing modules are just under 40 mil for him.

Will he get them back when he pays the 400cr? Will the LEGAL ISSUES thing disappear then too?

What does the "modules hot" thing mean? A friend of mine committed a 400cr offense in system 1, got killed in a CZ in system 2 and respawned in system 3 after paying the rebuy. All the modules he has in his ship are marked "LEGAL ISSUES", and the ship spawned without any optional (hardpoints, utility mounts, optional internal) modules. The missing modules are just under 40 mil for him.

Will he get them back when he pays the 400cr? Will the LEGAL ISSUES thing disappear then too?

Good question, I honestly don't know. It sort of sounds like a bug, because I don't recall anything like that being mentioned in anything from FDev, including patch notes.

Sorry to take so long to reply, I've been away for a bit... I only noticed your post because I went in and added a link to a Russian translation that igi2 did.

Top Bottom