How can I find datamined wake exceptions, since there are no Famine systems?

It's a horrible design to funnel players to missions to have factions give away engineering materials when engineering is supposed to be pretty hush hush anyhow. Why would a faction have a DWE? It's just there as an alternative because finding the materials for some things has become completely broken gameplay. Try finding improvised components. You'll really need to improvise.

I should be back in the bubble some time around October, maybe November, at the earliest. I'll set a reminder to shoot some video. It's really not that hard scanning at stations to find DWE's. Now I won't say it works at just ANY station. It needs to be a fairly remote station - one with long jumps to the next closest system, but it works quite well.

Inner-bubble systems tend to suck, since most of the jumps are short enough to make in a stock sidewinder. But pick a good system out on the fringe, and you'll be asking for the condiments to go with that crow.
Without relogging?

Without relogging?

It's probably not very useful now, compared to the Jameson site, but there's 3 or 4 stations that are well-known for being busy and providing a lot of scans.

I spent quite a while hanging around those stations and, although I picked up quite a bit of scan data, I never picked up enough DWEs to make me think "Oooh, I should come here for DWEs instead of looking for a Famine Distribution Centre".
Honestly, I'm not even sure if I've ever picked up a DWE outside a station.
Every time I've tried, I've always ended-up just going to distro' centres (or, more recently, the Jameson site) in the end.

I've found it's easier to scan ships (normal scan and wake) at most Nav. Beacon. Then go to a material trader. Better still the beacon at the trader's system. Just don't carry any goods if you're not going to fight.

I used to fly an Eagle that was nothing more but a wake scanner duct taped onto some thrusters (well mostly because an A- grade scanner will eat up most of the Eagle's power supply) . That was reasonably fun at Nav Beacons which I found to provide faster results than stations, but maybe I just hung around the wrong stations.

It's RNG. Sometimes you get heavy traffic at beacons, sometimes you don't. Sometimes you get heavy traffic at stations, sometimes you don't. As usual the answer is relog. The nice thing about stations is there is generally the same area where ships all jump out.

Ummm I'll certainly call ** on this post. No, one won't get 30 DWEs by simple scans at a station. Never.
I used to go to famine distribution centres until 3.3 hit, then I went to cubeo in open with my sidey, dropped on chelomey orbital, and wondered why I ever went to distribution centres. There were more high-wakes on my scanner than I could keep up with, even with G5 DD'd EP thrusters and G5 fast scan on the wakescanner.

I used to go to famine distribution centres until 3.3 hit, then I went to cubeo in open with my sidey, dropped on chelomey orbital, and wondered why I ever went to distribution centres. There were more high-wakes on my scanner than I could keep up with, even with G5 DD'd EP thrusters and G5 fast scan on the wakescanner.
All 10km apart. You'd think you could sort them by distance.

Haven't tried it since the 3.3 beta, but back then I found an installation which had pretty high traffic, and tried scanning wakes there.

Results were OK, but I found I needed a fast ship and a long-range engineered scanner, as the ships would jump much further out from the installation than ships do at Famine Distribution Centres.

I used to fly an Eagle that was nothing more but a wake scanner duct taped onto some thrusters (well mostly because an A- grade scanner will eat up most of the Eagle's power supply) . That was reasonably fun at Nav Beacons which I found to provide faster results than stations, but maybe I just hung around the wrong stations.

You're doing it wrong.

Instead of buying a 0A wake-scanner, buy a 0C wake-scanner and then long-range the poop out of it. ;)

Thx. But that Eagle is long gone, now I fly a multipurpose material grinding gathering AspEx that can not only scan wakes but also has a bit (32t) of cargo space for the most immediate needs, a SRV for participating in The Dav's Hope Rally and for collecting raw mats of course, plus it has collector limpets for looting corpses the ez way. Let me tell you, with this ship at a High RES I'm busy as a bee collecting data & manufactured mats in one sweep!

It's even got a little bit of shields, a single HRP and -- get this -- six frag cannons just in case some NPC Anaconda needs a bit of persuasion to give away its sweet, sweet materials. With G5 dirty drives (because I refuse to fly clumsy ships) it's actually not half bad. In light of the recent news, I just find that somehow incredibly ironic, the whole ship is basically nothing but a gank target, and yet here I am, sporting a full set of the newest bestest guns in the galaxy!

Wait, it's been months and there still are no famine systems according to eddb, is this correct? Has the ongoing Thargoid presence somehow solved the food crisis or is the new BGS just inherently broken?

Wait, it's been months and there still are no famine systems according to eddb, is this correct? Has the ongoing Thargoid presence somehow solved the food crisis or is the new BGS just inherently broken?

Neither.

"The BGS is broken" is what I thought at first, too, but then I started to investigate...

In 3.3 the BGS was changed in a fundamental way: As far as I understand it the system state is now determined by two sliders, and activities increase/decrease those sliders. I'm quoting here from a post in a different thread:

[...]
One does no longer just "does activities which cause a state". Using the old system, you could quite happily jump from Economic Boom to Famine in a single tick, just by doing "Activities which cause famine". This is no longer the case.

Rather, there are now just activities which increase/decrease economic/security sliders. You can no longer "jump" to a state. So if you were in an Investment state, and wanted to cause Famine, you'd need to do a large amount of activities which reduce the economic state over the course of many ticks, and as this occurs, you'll transition down from Investment to Boom to None to Bust to Famine.... and likewise for security state.

Because of this fundamental BGS change it is now difficult to "achieve" a famine state (which occurs when the economy slider hits the bottom). Here's another quote from a post in the same thread as the above, which I personally found enlightening:

As for Famine, the problem is that there are very few activities which decrease the economy slider below None, and lots which increase it, so anywhere with player traffic the sliders tend to go up, and anywhere without player traffic they drift back to None, so you have to do very specific things (massacre missions targeting a specific faction) in a system that no-one else ever visits.
(And then when you do it, you'll get a bunch of people showing up for the DWEs, running missions, trading, etc. and it'll be gone the next day)

So if you believe the old way how the BGS worked was better then you might say the current BGS is broken. Personally I don't want to judge, understanding the current BGS design is my priority so that I can effectively achieve my goals in the game - which is obtaining DWEs so that I can engineer my FSD modules. Since famine systems are no longer a realistic option to obtain DWEs, I have now now turned to farming the Jameson crash site whenever I need DWEs (or any kind of data).

Thank you. So the question should be: Is the current BGS regarding those system states actually what the devs had in mind or should the mechanics be tweaked? From a lore perspective, are e.g. famines the absolute exception in the ED universe like we see now, or should they occur more often like before the change? If it's the former, the sources of several engineering materials should be revised.

Out of interest, have any of the player groups tried and managed to force systems into a famine state for some period?

So the obvious question is how to we create a famine state?
If I'm a billionaire I may as well act like one: how to I starve the plebs for my own selfish gain? ;)

I just (as in just a few minutes ago) went over to Jameson Memorial, bought a 0A Wake Scanner, and then hung around outside for about 45 minutes, scanning everything that high waked. I got 6 lots of Datamined Wake Exceptions, 18 units in all. Not a bad haul.

That was all from NPCs - I was in Mobius but didn't see a single CMDR.

Top Bottom