5000 Light Year Palin Requirement

Do the Road To Riches for a couple of hours in a straight(ish) line. You'll get the achievement and some exploration cash at the same time.

For kicks you can go back via a random route and maybe get your name in the game by discovering and scanning new systems and bodies. You might even stumble upon some non-human signal sources!

There's plenty to do out there in the black.

Travel safe Commander. o7

For all that is Braben, 5000 light years isn't that far. Get yourself a DBX and see the Galaxy, who knows you might find Raxxla.
Actually it's 10,000ly if you want it to count. Splitting hairs, I know.
At first I dreaded it too but it actually turned out pretty cool. I got my
name on a bunch of undiscovered systems, one with a Water World.
Saw Spiky bois with my own eyes and not someone else's screenshot.
All this in a lowly Hauler. It's not that bad OP, go for it. You won't regret it.
It's worth those few hours. o7

Actually it's 10,000ly if you want it to count. Splitting hairs, I know.
At first I dreaded it too but it actually turned out pretty cool. I got my
name on a bunch of undiscovered systems, one with a Water World.
Saw Spiky bois with my own eyes and not someone else's screenshot.
All this in a lowly Hauler. It's not that bad OP, go for it. You won't regret it.
It's worth those few hours. o7
Agreed. I used to fancy myself an "explorer" back when I'd barely been a thousand LYs out (yeah, you can laugh, I find it funny myself now) and then I had to unlock Palin.

I dreaded it but, needs must, so I kitted out my old trusty Python, found an interesting place out there at the right distance with an actual asteroid base, went a few hundred LYs up and then made a beeline for it. The things I saw that I'd never seen before, my first brush with Space Madness and the thrill when I docked with that asteroid base, the first one I'd ever seen and the first sight of civilization in what seemed like ages.

After that, I never considered any trip "long", and I'm not sure I'd have ever been able to go for the trip to Colonia if I hadn't had done that one first.

This is a dumb requirement, firstly, it should be 1000 light years max (that's where all the interesting stuff is)

Secondly, Palin shouldn't be doing speed mods, which is a combat thing, when he's asking for this kind of requirement

This is a dumb requirement, firstly, it should be 1000 light years max (that's where all the interesting stuff is)

Secondly, Palin shouldn't be doing speed mods, which is a combat thing, when he's asking for this kind of requirement
Engineers are dumb full stop. If you want to partake in the clown show, don't come back crying when it actually dawns on you the truth.....

Engineers are dumb full stop. If you want to partake in the clown show, don't come back crying when it actually dawns on you the truth.....
Like it or not that's a majority of the progression. Credits are more meaningless so you have rank and materials to ships / upgrades.

Trying to fly a rated makes cz's with the npc hull buff or spec ops, pirate lords and thargoids tough but other than that its still very possible.

Like it or not that's a majority of the progression. Credits are more meaningless so you have rank and materials to ships / upgrades.

Trying to fly a rated makes cz's with the npc hull buff or spec ops, pirate lords and thargoids tough but other than that its still very possible.
Well if you don't do combat you don't generally need engineers. And there is more to this game than grind. Some do chill trucking, some explore, and some look after stations affected by the Thargoids, while everyone else is off getting some glory kills. I'm sure there's more I haven't thought of.

I think FD had a deliberate plan for getting people to try game activities they might not have otherwise considered to unlock engineers. I'm not saying it was a good plan, but it is done fairly often in MMOs.

I think FD had a deliberate plan for getting people to try game activities they might not have otherwise considered to unlock engineers. I'm not saying it was a good plan, but it is done fairly often in MMOs.
Fdev underestimated how addicted shooty shooty players are to shooty shooty. Tell those people to shoot something, they'll shoot it, no questions asked. Tell them not to shoot something and they'll look at you as if you've got three heads.

Fdev underestimated how addicted shooty shooty players are to shooty shooty. Tell those people to shoot something, they'll shoot it, no questions asked. Tell them not to shoot something and they'll look at you as if you've got three heads.

I play in a very varied way.

However, I really really did not enjoy being forced to go 5000LY away from the bubble, that's just not how far I need to go.

The guardian sites, and thargoid imprints are interesting places to go, and are (for me) a long distance away, getting that far would be fine, the 5000LY amount is just... arbitrary and silly, there's basically nothing 5000LY away.
It'd make more sense if it was 20,000 LY away, because of Colonia (I would hate it though because I don't find Colonia very interesting)

heh, yes it works, any LY travel is registered. no matter how you did it other than teleport.
so some prison trips wont be added.
Darn. I wanted to do the galactic prison-crawl! Visit system. Get in trouble. Go to jail. Move on. Get in trouble... become infamous everywhere. What could be more fun?
:cool:

I play in a very varied way.

However, I really really did not enjoy being forced to go 5000LY away from the bubble, that's just not how far I need to go.

The guardian sites, and thargoid imprints are interesting places to go, and are (for me) a long distance away, getting that far would be fine, the 5000LY amount is just... arbitrary and silly, there's basically nothing 5000LY away.
It'd make more sense if it was 20,000 LY away, because of Colonia (I would hate it though because I don't find Colonia very interesting)
Sounds to me like the only place you like is the bubble. That is such a limiting way to view the game.

Sounds to me like the only place you like is the bubble. That is such a limiting way to view the game.
Guardian sites are outside of the bubble, as are a bunch of thargoid things.

The Pleiades is outside of the bubble and is one of my favourite places.

I don't really like the vast swathes of totally unpopulated space, because -for me- (and I totally get for other people it's different and they like it a lot) but for me, the planets are all pretty much the same, and what they are is very pretty stuff with not all that much to do on them. - And once I go out there, the further I go, the more time it is going to take me to get back to the other 98.5% of the gameplay, so I get a bit put off going too far.

The reason I'm not too interested in Colonia is, it is essentially just another smaller version of the bubble, with a huge gap of the kind of gameplay I'm not too keen on between the two.

Anyway what was this about?

Oh right yeah.

I still think 1000LY is plenty to get people to experience some exploration, and it also has some of the more interesting content in or around the 1000Ly mark (ish)

Guardian sites are outside of the bubble, as are a bunch of thargoid things.

The Pleiades is outside of the bubble and is one of my favourite places.

I don't really like the vast swathes of totally unpopulated space, because -for me- (and I totally get for other people it's different and they like it a lot) but for me, the planets are all pretty much the same, and what they are is very pretty stuff with not all that much to do on them. - And once I go out there, the further I go, the more time it is going to take me to get back to the other 98.5% of the gameplay, so I get a bit put off going too far.

The reason I'm not too interested in Colonia is, it is essentially just another smaller version of the bubble, with a huge gap of the kind of gameplay I'm not too keen on between the two.

Anyway what was this about?

Oh right yeah.

I still think 1000LY is plenty to get people to experience some exploration, and it also has some of the more interesting content in or around the 1000Ly mark (ish)
I get that some things won't interest you. But there is always something to see. If not Colonia, maybe load a Hauler up with Tritium and fly out to an FC in the black. It's not efficient, but it gives you a reason to be out there.

I get that some things won't interest you. But there is always something to see. If not Colonia, maybe load a Hauler up with Tritium and fly out to an FC in the black. It's not efficient, but it gives you a reason to be out there.
Yeah, but it would be like going to any other carrier, I have my own, and there are... plenty.

So the long journey is just, a long journey devoid of much game play (for me) - and I'll have to do it all over again to get back to the game I enjoy playing.

There are a few things I haven't seen personally, some of the noteable stellar phenomena, at some point I might go see them, however... from what I know, they are (mostly) just more eye candy with little to no interaction (I know some do have some levels of interaction which does interest me somewhat)

Yeah, but it would be like going to any other carrier, I have my own, and there are... plenty.

So the long journey is just, a long journey devoid of much game play (for me) - and I'll have to do it all over again to get back to the game I enjoy playing.

There are a few things I haven't seen personally, some of the noteable stellar phenomena, at some point I might go see them, however... from what I know, they are (mostly) just more eye candy with little to no interaction (I know some do have some levels of interaction which does interest me somewhat)
That's where the hauling Tritium comes in. The hauling is the gameplay. You aren't one of those shooty shooty players are you?

That's where the hauling Tritium comes in. The hauling is the gameplay. You aren't one of those shooty shooty players are you?
I do a lot of hauling, just not 20,000 LY hauling.

I also do various kinds of combat including anti xeno, rescue missions at megaships and space stations, refuel/repair ships in distress signals, salvage various things for missions or just to get the stuff to sell/collect, or taking things from megaship cargo holds (until it was broken, now half fixed).

Also pirate ships (NPC and player when it comes up) I also scan systems when I am looking for something (surface POI's, or various materials)

I go mining for credits, materials, and missions for factions, also go to guardian sites to gain access to their tech (for anti xeno fights) and materials for synthesis (Rarely)

And sometimes run little "tourism" missions which I take new(er) players along on showing them a load of sites and following some of the puzzles that start at places like the number station satellites and take you to crashed ships with logs on them and travel to various ground installations like the INRA bases, not quite been to them all yet.

So I dunno, am I?

And if I was, what would it mean?

;) :p:D

Top Bottom