The Route planner discussion thread

What is this route planner? The normal galaxy map, click a system and get a yellow line? Its been pretty useless since it will not target the next system, and when you get to the next it will target the next and so on until you are at the destination. It just targets the last one which is too far to jump to. As it is now you mark a system further than 1 jump and set as destination, then use your eyes to see which the next jump is, click on that, exit galaxy map, jump, go back to galaxy map, set the end destination again (to get the yellow line), then look for the next system to jump to, now set it as destination, close galaxy map, jump there, rince repeat until there. Wish we could just set it on the last destination and when going out from galaxy map it will target the closest system to jump to automatically all the way to the final destination.
Or maybe that is added and i missed it?

- Merge Threads

System not showing in Nav screen even though i can plot a course for the same system in galaxy map and jump.

- Merge Threads

I flying this route some times, it is available. But in-game Navigator don't knows this... Fuel was full.
4aea68304bcb086473169e8b3121a387.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed. It DOES help, but could be more. Maybe it's to stop servers grinding calcing all these routes, but I'd blow 2tonnes of cargo space for a better route planner item/scanner if needed to help make it easier to work with. (though would prefer other methods of improving range).

I wonder if thats related to the strange quirk they had with the left-window nav tab. My Asp has a fully laden range of 24ly but the nav tab would only ever show systems upto 19.5ly.

That's not a quirk, that's a long standing limitation. The nav panel list is limited to 20 Ly maximum and also a fixed number of items (about 60 IIRC) so it often doesn't even show up to the 20 Ly limit. They've increased the limit on number of items a couple of times but it's still too low IMO. In fact I think both limits should go.

Last edited:
It's hit and miss for me. It's plotted up to 4 jumps and others that are one jump away it wont work at all. When it works it functions exactly how it should though.

Seems to work for me.

Have you tried it more than once? It worked perfectly for me the first time but after that I get the same issues as the OP: when I pick a destination the first intermediate system doesn't always get selected, and even when it does it still tries to jump to the final destination directly.

The route planner has a limit, I can picture them adding an upgrade slot in the future for extended route plans for explorers or traders, works like a charm for me however with my 10ly jump distance, planned 6 jumps with it roughly the first time, each 7-8ly out. It is a major relief not having to go back into the map to select my next jump, hell, I nearly did go back into it a few times during my route out of pure habit ;)

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Have you tried it more than once? It worked perfectly for me the first time but after that I get the same issues as the OP: when I pick a destination the first intermediate system doesn't always get selected, and even when it does it still tries to jump to the final destination directly.

Did you select 'fastest route' on the map or the 'economical route'? As this may be the culprit.

When I select economical route and plot a course it works. But I can do 10 jumps before I reach the destination that could be 40 LY away.
if I set it to fastest route it does not work, I don't get any jump points.

This is my experience... I can make routes up to 50LY with small jumps, but set it to fastest and it will show a route in the map but not actually map any waypoints.

The route planner seems to work within a maximum radius of 50Ly from your current location, and this seems to be by design (probably to restrict the number of nodes they are graphing, I'd guess).

It also seems to be bugged if you are plotting the fastest route, and doesn't activate the next waypoint if the individual jump distance is too great. For example, my maximum jump range is currently a little over 24Ly. I am currently in Haritana and want to plot a route to Shudun Sector KC-V B2-5 (LOS distance 45.30Ly). It correctly plots a 2-jump route: Haritana > LTT 5553 (23.95LY) > Shudun Sector KC-V B2-5, but the first leg doesn't activate, probably due to the range. I'm not sure what the cut-off actually is; the longest plotted jump that has worked properly was a little over 17Ly.

This is very close to the maximum range I can see via the in-cockpit navigation panel. The furthest system from Haritana that is listed there is LTT 5855 (18.1LY). I just upgraded my FSD last night, and I don't remember whether the navigation panel was unable to display systems all the way out to my maximum jump range prior to gamma 2.0 or not, but it is possible that there may be a link between the planner not working for longer jumps and the navigation panel not displaying longer jumps.

This seems linked to the fact that if you want to jump more than 18/19 ly you have to open galaxy map as system that distance dont show in the navigation panel.

But yes not working properly at the moment, guess theyll fix it

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

This is my experience... I can make routes up to 50LY with small jumps, but set it to fastest and it will show a route in the map but not actually map any waypoints.

This x1000

There's a range limitation and I'm not sure what it is. If your journey is too long, just plot half at a time. Seems to work GREAT within its limitations. Real happy with the addition!!!

I think there is a bug in the autocomplete code. I typed "jaro" in the destination expecting to see "Jaroua" but the only options were "Jaroere" and "Jarowair". Typing the full name worked for finding a route so the system does exist in TGC.

EDIT: moderators for some reason merged topic I posted, so I erased my post because its out of context. Thanks moderators, top notch job :(

Last edited:
I think there is a bug in the autocomplete code. I typed "jaro" in the destination expecting to see "Jaroua" but the only options were "Jaroere" and "Jarowair". Typing the full name worked for finding a route so the system does exist in TGC.
Yes, there's something strange going on with case. If you type 'Jaro' it works as expected. I'll try and take a look at it this morning.

Any case of typeahead searching should now be working correctly. Note that due to the caching you might need to clear some local/session/cookie storage data (easy in Chrome: 1) click the icon on far left of URL bar, 2) Click 'Show cookies and site data', 3) Make sure 'www.miggy.org' is highlighted, 4) Hit the 'Remove' button, 5) Reload the page.

Maybe it's to stop servers grinding calcing all these routes

I dont think its calculated server side.
I would also be happy to wait a couple of seconds for the calculated route to show - maybe a nice progress bar?
Currently I'm using TradeDangerous to do route planning. For 150ly it takes about 20seconds - on a 2.6ghz i7

It saves bandwidth on my free hosting :) and saves me from having to alta tab for short routes. But still better to use my route planner for higher than 50 LY, so it turned like I thought it would turn from my suspicion of how it would work ingame.

urandom try my route planner if you want, for 500ly it should take at much 15 sec (on my signature).

Last edited:
Top Bottom