The Route planner discussion thread

i may be wrong on how long that entire jump is but the new route planner won't give you routes over 50ly, really only beneficial for the starter ships and early game grind.

I agree that the range could be improved. Currently traveling from Achenar area to Founders World and doing it the same way as before. Manually.

What I'd like to see is the ability to actually plot my course. I'm not overly interested in the computer plotting a 200LY trip for me, I want there to be an element of skill in finding the best route. Once I know what it is though, I should be able to plot way-points into the computer myself that it will automatically target when exiting hyperspace.

add to this the ability to save routes into the ship's database and I think you're getting there.

this gives the best of both worlds for me, I still have to find my way across the galaxy to some extent (i'm happy for it to plan a route up to about 2-3 jumps), but once I've found a route between 2 places I can save it and reuse easily.

Having the route planner go up to 250, 300LY or more would kinda spoil exploration a bit for me - I want to go to that star 1000LY away but I only have to go into the galaxy map 3 or 4 times? not for me. Maybe make a market out of it, like system data, so in well explored areas of space, you can buy cheap routes and add them to your ship computer.

I've found that it works for a relatively small route the first time. Then when I try and use it a second time for another small route, it plots the route in the galactic map ok, but the first target in the route never appears as selected in normal space and the compass doesn't appear, so you can't actually fly to it.
This is re-producible. Works first time, bombs every time after that.

What I'd like to see is the ability to actually plot my course. I'm not overly interested in the computer plotting a 200LY trip for me, I want there to be an element of skill in finding the best route. Once I know what it is though, I should be able to plot way-points into the computer myself that it will automatically target when exiting hyperspace.

add to this the ability to save routes into the ship's database and I think you're getting there.

this gives the best of both worlds for me, I still have to find my way across the galaxy to some extent (i'm happy for it to plan a route up to about 2-3 jumps), but once I've found a route between 2 places I can save it and reuse easily.

Having the route planner go up to 250, 300LY or more would kinda spoil exploration a bit for me - I want to go to that star 1000LY away but I only have to go into the galaxy map 3 or 4 times? not for me. Maybe make a market out of it, like system data, so in well explored areas of space, you can buy cheap routes and add them to your ship computer.

This! Yes! - I want to plot my own course as an explorer, so that I can choose the interesting systems along the way :) Awesome!

Last edited:
Now this new Route Planner feature is a step in a right direction of course, but having a 50LY maximum-range-bubble is somewhat ridiculous, dont you think? 50LY is only 2 jumps with upgraded ASP, and fully fueled ASP has a 250LY range atleast. Why not just make that "bubble" as big as the fuel-tank and an FSD are capable of?

U have to treat FD like an 8 yr old child. If they r moving in a positive direction and making any improvements to the game u should be thrilled. I agree we should be able to map beyond our JR bit this was a nig improvememt

Harbinger

Volunteer Moderator
The current implementation (whilst a definite improvement) is only really of any use to a starter ship with a small jump range and is clearly limited by the way the Galaxy map automatically creates a 3D Sphere around your location with a radius of 50 LY (I think this is the range). The actual maths for finding the distance in light years between 2 sets of coordinates is very simple but I expect the Galaxy Map only loads the coordinates of the stars within it's bubble so cannot plot a route beyond that.

What is sorely needed is for an alternative method of finding a route. For example if someone selects a star that is say 100+ LY away as the destination. This is clearly outside of the bubble so the galaxy map would kill the bubble and instead generate a 3D virtual pill in the direction of the intended destination, thereby it should be possible to plot a route in that specific direction without the expense of having to build an ever more massive sphere.

Last edited:
I dont even understand how it works. I expect you would find your target system, click 'plot route' then go back to the cockpit to find your first waypoint, jump to it then automatically have the next targetted. For me it doesn't seem to do that, I have to still select each system manually.

Now that is an excellent idea. Elegant and simple to implement. Have some well deserved reputation my good man.

YOu know I'd be happy if upon selecting a distant system I could make it show a straight line drawn between my current system and the targeted one, just to help me keep orientation in the galazy map when travelling long distances.

Not always.
It seems, if the next jump in the route is quite high Ly-wise, and you are in an area of the galaxy with a lot of star systems around it, the next jump target will not show up on the NavPanel, and neither will the route planner plot the next jump automatically.
They need to increase the maximum amount of systems showing in the NavPanel imho.

Example. Had a load of Eridani Paste in my hold, and wanted to go to Lave.
- Plotted course as far out from Chi Eridani as possible, heading towards Lave. The route planner plotted COL285 -> Chambo -> Crucis FWW.
- I jump to COL285, Chambo is pushed off the NavPanel, no automatic targeting for next jump. I have to go into GalMap and set Chambo Manually.

Ahh, then its not just me this has happened to.

If they want to encrease the limit, then simply implement manual waypointing. if you can jump more than 100 light years this will work for you.

Yes, I like that idea. I would also vote for that.

The range is certainly too small. It's barely adequate for a first pass but at least it's there.

Next step: compute sectors in a linear direction from destination to source; then do a bounded A* search on the graph, on a separate thread, ideally showing progress on the map for blinkenlights. I don't mind so much if it can't route plan from one galactic arm to another if it needs to go 100LY out of its way to find a way round, and I accept that planning a journey right across the galaxy will take a little time. But I don't need a route planner for short routes, I need it for long ones e.g. Sol to Achenar...

We are using our own planner set to 50 jump range then just use the games route planner to plot a course from each 50 ly system to the distant destination. Just meens useing 4 manual inputs into the games route planner to go 200.

We are using our own planner set to 50 jump range then just use the games route planner to plot a course from each 50 ly system to the distant destination. Just meens useing 4 manual inputs into the games route planner to go 200.

and it works a dream :)

Top Bottom