74 days out, 5,000 systems scanned and 53,000 LY from Sol...

...and I've still yet to find something that's 'already out there. ;) '.

However , I shall persevere.
Even if there is a million systems with "something" there are 400 billion systems, find the million with something in that haystack? Might take a bit.

Nice! How's your hull holding out? Mine's at 70% after 38 days and 2070 systems scanned, but I'm getting close to home, only 9615ly to go

If you want to maximize your effectiveness you should only fully scan systems there at least 200-400 LY apart, using a spiraling search pattern. If the Aliens have been around as long as humans and dispersed in a spherical pattern as well, then they might occupy an equally sized area of the Galaxy. Since we haven't seen them it might be best to assume they are roughly on the other side of the Galaxy, or at least 25,000 LY away. Though for gameplay purposes, they will likely have some outposts much closer to human space, in range of "reasonably priced combat-exploration" ships.

You are too close to Sol. Try 60 Kylie

I'm working on it. :)

Nice! How's your hull holding out? Mine's at 70% after 38 days and 2070 systems scanned, but I'm getting close to home, only 9615ly to go

My Hull is at 91% with all modules 95% or better.

keep at it, I too am about 52k from sol. you on perseus?

I think I'm in the Crux-Scutum arm (on the opposite side of the Milky Way from Sol). It's difficult to find a map that matches EDs Galaxy exactly. But then again, it's an obscured part of the Galaxy anyway so I'm not surprised.

70 systems a day? You're not looking that hard in each one...

I'm looking for planets that are useable by the human race. I would expect the other non celestial objects to appear the same way as a USS would.

Unfortunately, I think it's more likely that Mr Brabens comment has been mis-understood by some explorers like myself. It would be nice if FD fleshed that comment out a little more.

But that's just me.

Last edited:
If the predicament is that you have to enter the system to see what it is you are looking for, I expect Braben can say whatever he wants for many years and nobody can prove it wasn't already there if it's found and they just added it in 2017 ;)

70 systems a day? You're not looking that hard in each one...

thats ok if you are trying to get some where, I did 2500 simple scan/fuel/jumps... but now, I'm scanning.. anything interesting, and will be for a long time.

You just have to get places.

That is extremely impressive. The longest exploration trip I have done took me 32 days - basically a jaunt compared to your epic voyage. I was getting extremely antsy after 3 weeks and headed back into the bubble.

Make sure you get back here... eventually, to have all your pictures developed!

Sounds great, mate!

I intended to go on a long exploration run and took off two days ago. After a few thousand KM I started noticing I had been taking damage. O_O
Then I realized I had been gone for too long and hadnt noticed the heat changes introduced with the patch, so I just hit the * abort mission * button and started making my way back for repairs and changing some equipment accordingly...
They made quite a lot of nice changes to exploration/heat (yes, I only just noticed lol been a while since I explored/scooped)

Anyways, I shall prevail! Hopefully will have the ship ready to go tomorrow.

Someday I'll make it to the centre of the galaxy... someday... somehow... (shut up, Nickelback)

How much money is to be made exploring?

I have a vulture and an Asp, trading to get the Asp all A class and what not, but spending say 2 weeks exploring and back, what's the rough returns?

Do you find flying up to every planet with a detailed scanner is a hassle, or do you not need to?

How much money is to be made exploring?

There are charts that show the various amounts to be made scanning different objects. There are also bonuses for using a Detail Surface Scanner, and for being the first discover. There is a lot of information on this sort of thing floating around the forums.

The TL;DR : you will not make as much money exploring as with other professions.

But, really, the way to find out, is get the biggest fuel scoop you can find, strip down your ship to light components for distance (using your own preferences for whether to take shields, heat sinks, weapons, etc.) and just make a short trip out. Go out a 1000 ly and back in a couple of days. That will give you a much better idea of what you are in for that anything else.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you find flying up to every planet with a detailed scanner is a hassle, or do you not need to?

I tend to be selective. Beyond the obvious (the Earth-likes and water worlds) there are Ammonia Worlds, high metal, and even generic heavy metal worlds can be lucrative if they are terraformable. I also tend to pick up closer gas giants, because they are a quick scan if they are within a couple thousand ls. Likewise, secondary stars in a system.

If money is your primary goal, you might want to consider heading to the neutrons fields in the direction of Sag A*. I've never been there, but by reputations there are billions.

Last edited:

But, if I have any advice it would simply be: Get the biggest fuel scoop you can afford and just go out and try it.

Last edited:
Have a great trip!

Space is big, if you are off by a few degrees, you could just miss what's out there. So Braben's stuff could be a needle in a haystack.
For me, it would be nice to find, but I don't have to find it in order to feel like a trip was worth it.

Top Bottom