A Call For Frontier To Put VR Legs On The Upcoming Road Map

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
It's still biased. No matter what. The context was not established, the participant carefully selected, and the access limited.
I wouldn't want to bet my kids lives on these numbers that were obtained from asking a few questions of a few randos online, but I'd bet these numbers are within reasonable error bars of the overall trend of the marketplace. And generally, when working with data, the more data points you get that corroborate each other, the stronger the certainty of any conclusions derived from that data is. To broaden the breadth of the sources of data I've used, I've gathered data from sources quite clearly distinctly separate of each other, reddit, youtube, broadsheet newspapers. All those sources have tens of thousands of people who would see the survey, and thousands of participants giving a large sample size of participants obtained from organic footfall. The three Elite Dangerous specific sources are within a few percentage points of each other, 28% 36% & 24% so ~30% mean which falls beatifully within a +/- 6% error bar. That range of stats is consistent with the 29% on the WP article, which leaves the 17% from flight sims as an outlier
This to me says more than the half <redacted> VR attempt because it means they're not looking at the future of ED as moving onward onto more powerful platforms, whereas with VR they already had the cockpit stuff knocked up in two days by some dude who no longer works there (and I'm guessing he wasn't replaced by another VR developer), so the on foot stuff would have to reach a certain professional level with controllers etc to maintain the VR label and was probably the first thing kicked to the kerb...
I'm kind'a hoping they left in the kludgey hacky camera VR bits for us* to knock something together.

DOOOOOM!!!!! :alien: and o7

* and when I say us I mean those far cleverer than me
Since you posted that, I'm now wondering if the exemander method of "plinking" the Vanity cam and the HUD toggle keys are part of a "konami code" series of button presses left in there as an easter egg for which we need to find the way to enable the on foot gui / hud / reticule etc....

The default key presses to turn off the holograms on the dashboard of a ships cockpit are CTRL + Shift+ G - has anyone tried pressing them in exemander mode to see if it enables the missing interface elements?

accommodate-every-need-for-anoverly-demanding-client-stillreceiveabad-survey-that-19852553.png

This is sort of old news, that being said. This should scare the CM's at Frontier. these are the people that get THOUSANDS of players to work together on community goals and projects. Distant Worlds was covered in gaming news sources world wide because of the emergent style of gameplay. Erimus is exactly the kind of player you do not want to loose.

Attachments

• erimus.png
    erimus.png
    138.1 KB · Views: 61
As I've said elsewhere, I've got a couple of months incrementally intensified campaigning left in me, I hope most if not all of you stay in the fight with me. I honestly think that while FDev obviously have their hands full just now, our willingness to wait on any deliverables balances that? I also hope that they come around and agree that commiting to give us the sort of low bar basic VR headlook on foot in a couple of months time when they are out of the woods is indeed something they can reasonably do for us, and make that commitment.
Jay Le Chandrooski - this is exactly what FDev is hoping for - that the VR light burns out. Not very smart to openly state this.

Last edited:
What I don't get is, if they know the percentage of VR players, even if it is only 5% why cant they just dedicate 5% of their headcount or resources more generally to VR development and increase accordingly as that percentage increases. Sure it will mean development is slow for VR but its better then saying we are not developing it at all. Also the fact that VR threads are always raging along even though its a small player base just goes to show how awesome it is in VR and how the players will fight tooth and nail to keep it going.

What I don't get is, if they know the percentage of VR players, even if it is only 5% why cant they just dedicate 5% of their headcount or resources more generally to VR development and increase accordingly as that percentage increases. Sure it will mean development is slow for VR but its better then saying we are not developing it at all. Also the fact that VR threads are always raging along even though its a small player base just goes to show how awesome it is in VR and how the players will fight tooth and nail to keep it going.
I think the simple answer is Braben or some other senior on the project do not like VR and therefore they will not allow any resources to be allocated to it - existing user base be damned.

The flip side of that is that by stating a timeframe, it forms a deadline, "you have only a few months to meet our demands or forever lose me/us as customer(s) - ie: we will NOT be strung along for years on this matter".
I more agree with this then indefinitely hold my breath for nothing. If they continue VR support awesome. If they don't care about customers, theyll leave. Better sooner than later. Abusive relationships have a way of keeping you captive in them, don't they?

Totally disagree, as a VR player I keep on top of the tech and if you could see some of the new designs coming you'd realise they will be no bigger than sun glasses in the near future. VR now is like a huge CRT monitor back in the day, but it didn't take that long for super slim high res lcd screens to become the norm. Unless you still play on a CRT then you can't deny it. You really think wearable tech isn't the future, we will all look back and laugh at those old fashioned monitors that everyone used to use LOL.
Though I agree with them being the future of gaming, I think the prices has a lot more to do with it than the size. Other need to become their own platform and not an accessory the cost of a new console before they can really make it to mainstream

Totally disagree, as a VR player I keep on top of the tech and if you could see some of the new designs coming you'd realise they will be no bigger than sun glasses in the near future. VR now is like a huge CRT monitor back in the day, but it didn't take that long for super slim high res lcd screens to become the norm. Unless you still play on a CRT then you can't deny it. You really think wearable tech isn't the future, we will all look back and laugh at those old fashioned monitors that everyone used to use LOL.
Disagreeing is fine, we're all entitled to an opinion. Additionally, I never argue with evangelists because end of the day, I don't fool myself that I'm going to change someone's belief structures with a few lines on the internet.

To be clear though, as I said to Jay there's a world of difference between 'a big screen' and something which completely removes your ability to see something other than that screen whilst playing. I get that you and others with VR find that great as an immersive experience. I would not find that great, I would find it a problem.

Disagreeing is fine, we're all entitled to an opinion. Additionally, I never argue with evangelists because end of the day, I don't fool myself that I'm going to change someone's belief structures with a few lines on the internet.

To be clear though, as I said to Jay there's a world of difference between 'a big screen' and something which completely removes your ability to see something other than that screen whilst playing. I get that you and others with VR find that great as an immersive experience. I would not find that great, I would find it a problem.
Why is playing in VR, fully immersing yourself, a "problem"? I'm in VR since the mid 90's (as I stated before) and don't have any (health-)issues. VR gives me experiences, I'm not able to experience in reality, because I'm not Bruce Wayne, Tony Stark or Elon Musk. Some expamples:

Driving a SuperCar / Rallyecar,
Flying an aircraft,
Flying around Earth and going to Moon / Mars and even further out (Elite)
Command a Starfleet-spaceship with others
Go shooting at a gunning-range (Personal weapons are "forbidden" in my country)
Playing Golf
There is so much out there to experience, that I barely touched the surface with my list.

The tech itself is never a problem, but excessive use is. VR is not better or worse than tv or cellphones.

Why is playing in VR, fully immersing yourself, a "problem"? I'm in VR since the mid 90's (as I stated before) and don't have any (health-)issues. VR gives me experiences, I'm not able to experience in reality, because I'm not Bruce Wayne, Tony Stark or Elon Musk. Some expamples:

Driving a SuperCar / Rallyecar,
Flying an aircraft,
Flying around Earth and going to Moon / Mars and even further out (Elite)
Command a Starfleet-spaceship with others
Go shooting at a gunning-range (Personal weapons are "forbidden" in my country)
Playing Golf
There is so much out there to experience, that I barely touched the surface with my list.

The tech itself is never a problem, but excessive use is. VR is not better or worse than tv or cellphones.
I'm going to be polite about this. I have no intention of writing a screed about my personal circumstances to 'justify' what I wrote. Perhaps you should start thought with recognising that not everybody's personal circumstances may be the same as yours and just accept that when someone tells you something would be a problem for them, it would.

Cheers.

I'm going to be polite about this. I have no intention of writing a screed about my personal circumstances to 'justify' what I wrote. Perhaps you should start thought with recognising that not everybody's personal circumstances may be the same as yours and just accept that when someone tells you something would be a problem for them, it would.

Cheers.
I never wanted to "offend" you. I'm honestly curious! "Frigg VR, because I don't like it /have a problem with" and not "defending" the position afterwards to "stay polite" doesn't contribute anything to the conversation / discussion. 🤷‍♀️

I never wanted to "offend" you. I'm honestly curious! "Frigg VR, because I don't like it /have a problem with" and not "defending" the position afterwards to "stay polite" doesn't contribute anything to the conversation / discussion. 🤷‍♀️
I'm not offended, I was just stating a fact - if I wanted to go into the ins and outs of it on here I would do, but I don't, so rather than just ghosting your post, I replied to explain that. If it came across as brusque I apologise - I was simultaneously trying to log out of my work computer, finalise my timesheet and keep half an eye out of the window for the transport ambulance that's on the way to run me to one of my twice weekly hospital appointments. Which incidentally, would be a bit hard to do with a VR headset on :D

I'm not offended, I was just stating a fact - if I wanted to go into the ins and outs of it on here I would do, but I don't, so rather than just ghosting your post, I replied to explain that. If it came across as brusque I apologise - I was simultaneously trying to log out of my work computer, finalise my timesheet and keep half an eye out of the window for the transport ambulance that's on the way to run me to one of my twice weekly hospital appointments. Which incidentally, would be a bit hard to do with a VR headset on :D
So much about "excessive use" of tech (working, finalising timesheets etc. simultaniously), but that's today's society to blame for. ;)
I hope you will get better soon (if even possible)!(y)

...Fdev have the number, and they are accurate...

I am actually not sure they are monitoring VR use at all. Play-time telemetry aside, while it has admittedly been long since last time I ran the ED hardware survey; When I did, the only mention of anything VR, was the headphones interface of one HMD I had once used, showing up among audio devices. :7

I am actually not sure they are monitoring VR use at all. Play-time telemetry aside, while it has admittedly been long since last time I ran the ED hardware survey; When I did, the only mention of anything VR, was the headphones interface of one HMD I had once used, showing up among audio devices. :7
A good point to be even more of a "loud minority" so that FDev could get a glimpse how many VR-Commanders are "out here". ;)

Just an example: My squadron consists of 130+ commanders, with 1/3 of them using VR (ir-)regularly (pre EDO). Again, not representative but matches with other numbers already stated.

Here is an example, what kind of a blast Elite can be within VR. I doubt that I would be as fast in "pancake"-mode.
I don't want do "promote" my channel, because it's mainly for my mates and for fun and therefore not suited to be promoted at all. ;)

Last edited:
Though I agree with them being the future of gaming, I think the prices has a lot more to do with it than the size. Other need to become their own platform and not an accessory the cost of a new console before they can really make it to mainstream
No doubt, but look at the uptake of the quest/2 at £299, people that use those exclusively for gaming just saved a stack over the cost of a PC and graphics card or console. Won't be long before that's all you need to game and more in a much more powerful smaller package. My vision of the future is everyone with glasses, PC's gone, phones gone, augmented/VR, info in front of your eyes (and adverts) with 2 blinks of an eye. That's the way it will go. Kids will say "what's a monitor, a man with a bulls head?" Don't get me started with contact lenses and brain implants. VR? So old fashioned.

No doubt, but look at the uptake of the quest/2 at £299, people that use those exclusively for gaming just saved a stack over the cost of a PC and graphics card or console. Won't be long before that's all you need to game and more in a much more powerful smaller package. My vision of the future is everyone with glasses, PC's gone, phones gone, augmented/VR, info in front of your eyes (and adverts) with 2 blinks of an eye. That's the way it will go. Kids will say "what's a monitor, a man with a bulls head?" Don't get me started with contact lenses and brain implants. VR? So old fashioned.
Not because of the game itself, but about your "vision";)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom