A Guide to Minor Factions and the Background Sim

Even economic states like “boom” serve absolutely no purpose except to slow down expansion. Quickly cause the war and then end it. Boom and lockdown can last weeks. The point is – don’t get too caught up keeping our influence high. You can use lower levels to your advantage.

Could you elaborate on that please? We are stuck in Boom state with 87% and no clue how to disrupt it and continue to Expansion. Any suggestions?

BTW, thanks for sharing your knowledge. Great work!

No problem. I know full well the you and DA could use it against us, but I don't feel that keeping others in the dark is in the spirit of the game.

We won't, Cmdr.
There are limits to everything, even the wrath of the DA.
You have proven yourself honourable.

Last edited:
I work with a group called the 8th Dragon Squadron, and like you we focussed from very early on the background sim, and like you we became bugfinders as nothing worked, however we ran it as mercs, flipping a system before moving on, relying on roleplay to set up our contracts. With the introduction of player factions we have established a home base while still jumping to and from systems to flip control across the galaxy, we have a base of operations for between missions, giving us admins a chance to breath before moving on. A lot of what you say is pretty accurate and matches our information we have gathered, however the more advanced techniques listed are something we are looking to impliment in our home system, thank you for sharing this information we look forward to field testing your advice. One thing i would like to ask is, where you say about capturing platforms/stations once you control a system, is there a way to pick which station, or is it just a random transfer of real estate once the conflict is over?

My only issue with the BGS is the galaxy map never seems to update...
the universe has changed , many systems are now owned by a different faction yet , on the map nothing has changed...

however I love the BGS I think its a cool part of the game

Could you elaborate on that please? We are stuck in Boom state with 87% and no clue how to disrupt it and continue to Expansion. Any suggestions?

BTW, thanks for sharing your knowledge. Great work!

What he meant is that its a good idea to keep your influences somewhat at an acceptable level, close to another faction's so that you can bypass unwanted states (such as boom, lockdown, etc).

Lower the rep of your faction to equal that of another and force a civil war to bypass the Boom state. Win the civil war and wait for a day, the expansion will then come.

One thing i would like to ask is, where you say about capturing platforms/stations once you control a system, is there a way to pick which station, or is it just a random transfer of real estate once the conflict is over?

You pick the station you want to capture by aligning your faction's influece with the faction that controls the station you want. If that faction controls more than 1 station you cannot pick which of those will fall in your hands though.

Last edited:
My only issue with the BGS is the galaxy map never seems to update...
the universe has changed , many systems are now owned by a different faction yet , on the map nothing has changed...

however I love the BGS I think its a cool part of the game

The Galaxy Map only updates in the long term...and IIRC is not automated. As long as your system stats are correct (which you can see to the .x% if you open your galaxy SYSTEM map and 'pull' it to the right!) then the game is working as intended. Lugh is an Independent Corporate system that is a Control Center for Mahon. Some or none of these might or might not be correct on the Galactic map...but as long as they are correct in the System Map...the game works properly.

Good post Walt! Solid information as always! o7

Last edited:
Thank you !

One question :

You did not mention Powerplay influence bonus for minor factions, do they really work ?

EDIT : I mean ratings 2+ for winters, aisling and pranav

Last edited:
The Galaxy Map only updates in the long term...and IIRC is not automated. As long as your system stats are correct (which you can see to the .x% if you open your galaxy map and 'pull' it to the right!) then the game is working as intended. Lugh is an Independent Corporate system that is a Control Center for Mahon. Some or none of these might or might not be correct on the Galactic map...but as long as they are correct in the System Map...the game works properly.

Good post Walt! Solid information as always! o7
78 ursae majoris is still considered federation even if its part of the alliance and HEBO is still part of the alliance even if the sons of icarus have invaded my home and forced me into alioth

Good work, thank you for your time and effort in unravelling this. It is a shame that a fascinating game mechanic like this is not more transparent, or at the very least given some official documentation.

There's one thing I don't understand though, why does the 2 lowest ranking factions in a system enter civil war? It's not like any of them own a station, or are about to take over a station? What will effectlively happen when one of them win?

Another question, many systems are often only inhabited by factions where they are either "independent", or loyal to a specific major faction.... Like travelling through Federation airspace, many systems only have "independent" or "federation" factions in them, is that some sort of "defence" against other major factions, so there's always some sort of balance?

Good work by the way, I'm just about to get into the faction-thing.

There's one thing I don't understand though, why does the 2 lowest ranking factions in a system enter civil war? It's not like any of them own a station, or are about to take over a station? What will effectlively happen when one of them win?
It happens when they have matching influence levels, even if they don't own stations. As you suspect, nothing happens as a result. Same thing happens with Elections, which is just silly.

On behalf of The Order of Mobius, thank you for this invaluable information.

I will be back here frequently to check for both updates & 'points arising' from other factions.

+1 Rep is too small a thank you, so here's a cute Lion ;)

Lion Cute Giraffe Kill.jpg

Are we absolutely sure that influence is not recorded as a scalar quantity? All the factions could show an increase in influence if this were so; percentage influence would be a derived value.

This would make sense from a coding point of view.

In effect, you are saying that the influence percentage represents how much of the economy is controlled by a faction, while the up/downn arrows represent the size of the economy? In other words, a faction can increase its influence while the economy shrinks.

I'm also not totally convinced that boom is just a temporary state with no lasting impacts on the sim - we've seen the outfitters and shipyard in Manite improve significantly since we adopted the system and the Workers of Manite Labour Union. We're still working to isolate the exact mechanisms through which we did it (it was accidental, but not unwelcome), but one hypothesis is that one of the hidden values for the system, such as development level, tech level or wealth, is a variable similar to security level, which can be manipulated such that it impacts what hardware a system is capable of providing in its outfitters.

Once we get rid of our lockdown state, we'll be able to move forward on testing.

Last edited:
Advanced Strategies:
Directing Expansion – Expansion is not entirely random. It is dependent on range and number of factions in the nearby systems. Closer factions, and systems with fewer factions take priority as targets for expansion. This is how we were get our four adopted factions and no others into Mikunn. Let’s say you have a faction in 7 different systems. If you keep track of the local systems well, you will have a pretty good idea of where each system would expand to next. By keeping the influence down in all systems but the one you want to expand from, you can choose from several expansion targets. After we take the controlling station, the mercs keep our influence low in all systems but the one we want to expand from.

With directing expansions it sounds like total influence within a system has a quantity. That it can be lowered but the only part we can see is the % each faction has. So what exactly does keeping influence down mean?

Top Bottom