A Guide to Minor Factions and the Background Sim

Greetings, commanders. Tell me how long the expansion pending lasts now. We have more than 10 days passed, there is no expansion.

And another question is whether there is updated documentation for BGS. I will be grateful for the link.

Hello there Commander o7

Current observation indicates that a Expansion has a 5 day pending and a 5-6 day live duration. So unless you're having odd one it should end quite soon (or already did at the time of this reply).

As far as I know there is no complete up-to-date documentation of the BGS. The one I like to use for to give people a overview is made by Novaforce. Maybe not completely fresh all the time but its appealing visually and otherwise.

Can anyone explain the effects of negative actions on faction influence, and how easy is it to overcome?
Eg- Will 10 +ve points negate 10 -ve points?
looking to a single faction effect AND no other action AND and on the same tick: yes.

if you put in 10+ve and 10-ve points to a single faction, that faction would not move (or only very slightly, depending on the sequence of various actions being processed by the BGS algorythm)

(it's basically the definition of -ve points, no? it's a guestimate metric to compare different actions. compare it with 1+ve point of bountyhunting as much worth as 1+ve point of trading.)

looking to a single faction effect AND no other action AND and on the same tick: yes.

if you put in 10+ve and 10-ve points to a single faction, that faction would not move (or only very slightly, depending on the sequence of various actions being processed by the BGS algorythm)

(it's basically the definition of -ve points, no? it's a guestimate metric to compare different actions. compare it with 1+ve point of bountyhunting as much worth as 1+ve point of trading.)
Ok, thanks....I was just trying to figure out what's happening in our PMFs system. We record everything so we know what effects our activities are having. We are putting in a lot (over 200 -ve inf) into another faction every tick as well as over 300 +ve into our own and it's having minimal effect.

Ok, thanks....I was just trying to figure out what's happening in our PMFs system. We record everything so we know what effects our activities are having. We are putting in a lot (over 200 -ve inf) into another faction every tick as well as over 300 +ve into our own and it's having minimal effect.
hard to troubleshoot without knowing more, but most likely both factions are massively into diminishing returns, so you are just having the really, really tiny edge.

Hello CMDR's,

a new pilot here.
So I'm in a specific system, literally no players here. My fav Minor Faction went from hero to zero and I don't know why, no matter how many influence missions etc. I did. One time, I completed 8 of them and got paid for these at once. Shortly afterwards, they still fell 3% deeper... another group is like on steroids who took over one station and are expanding now. How do I fight them? My fav's additionally experience an outbreak.

Lot's of question marks...
I feel like fighting on the ground (via dropship) and doing influence missions won't make any difference. CZ's are a no go since I don't have the knowledge to fit one of my ships and survive fights there. Got a Cobra & a Viper, both way too weak against participating ships in low intensity CZ's.

Am I doing something wrong or is it an effort for 10 guys and one guy is not enough?

Greetings,
Caballus

Am I doing something wrong or is it an effort for 10 guys and one guy is not enough?
If you've got 10 guys opposing you? You probably aren't going to outfight that yourself even if you give up on sleeping. But there might not be ten of them, of course, and then you'd stand more of a chance. Or you might be able to find allies because they've already made enemies.

First step is to figure out how much opposition you have, and where it might be coming from:
- look up the faction who's doing well on EDDB: how many systems and stations do they already control?
- what's the traffic report in local news looking like? How many ships are coming and going that aren't you?
- is your faction favourable to the local powerplay sphere? is the faction you're fighting against?

(If you're already massively losing, you probably aren't going to make things any worse by posting the system name, and it'll make it easier to give advice)

I feel like fighting on the ground (via dropship) and doing influence missions won't make any difference.
Ground CZs are less effective than space CZs (around half), but they still have a decent effect and will let you hang on to the specific ground port, so are probably worth doing anyway.

If you're currently in a war, missions are still worthwhile, but only the combat ones. The trade and exploration ones won't help until the war is over.

Sorry, should've included it (maybe I was embarassed haha) and thank you for posting a detailed answer of considerations!
LHS 3802 Partnership (those I'm sided with)
Allied Tauernonese Dominion (those who put me and LHS 3802 Partnership back to the stone age)

So, during a war, missions marked with influence gains won't help or lets say "count" until the war is over?

Sorry, should've included it (maybe I was embarassed haha) and thank you for posting a detailed answer of considerations!
Allied Tauernonese Dominion (those who put me and LHS 3802 Partnership back to the stone age)
Okay, so no Powerplay involved.

ATD are in 13 systems and control 5 (though, Tauernonese isn't currently one of those) which suggests some level of intentional support, and also seem to have got into a control war with the larger L.Y.S. Corp faction in Baedule.

So, during a war, missions marked with influence gains won't help or lets say "count" until the war is over?
You can't gain influence itself during a war (taking the mission during the war and handing it in after the war is over should work, if the deadline allows), but combat missions will contribute towards the war progress and make it more likely that you'll win that day. CZs are likely to be more efficient, though.

You may find that the ATD are distracted for a few days with Baedule, so you might be able to win your current war and start regaining a little local influence. Keep an eye on how that war in Baedule is going, too.

how did you figure it all out? You have so much information. where from.

You may have chosen a really difficult system in which to make your name.

According to the Inara link you gave, LHS 3802 is the headquarters of Rus Pathfinders, a group of about a dozen Russian-speaking(?) players. It's a reasonable assumption that they are behind ATD. They seem to have started working in LHS 3802 in the third week of February this year and took control in the first week of March.

LHS 3802 Partnership isn't currently at war with ATD - you're fighting United Eurydale First - but if you win this war, the next one will be against ATD.

If (and it's only a supposition) ATD is supported by Rus Pathfinders, you will be up against a fairly aggressive group that has only recently taken control of your home system and has interests in a number of others. Put yourself in their shoes.

It comes down to your ambitions: you don't have to control a system to enjoy playing the BGS, but it is more fun.

Last edited:

Oops, sorry. The galaxy is tight
This is where I turned everything around. And not finished yet. It so happened that I needed this system for the movement of a certain faction. It's not a fast thing. And I do not promise to return everything as it was. :)
It's a game. Enjoy. ;)
PS: I am sorry for my English. This is not my native language

Top Bottom