A Positive Thread- WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT ELITE: DANGEROUS?

Thread of the year here :)

I love the freedom to choose where to go next, what to do and not being bound by a linear storyline that forces you to play in a certain way.
Also the sheer size of the galaxy and the sound!! My god the sounds!
Love this game and the enormous potential :)
Also flight assist off fun :D

Believe it all not I love the variety in the game - so much to do, so much I have not done yet.
Yesterday (Sunday) a little bit of mission work to counter Contrail in Anlave.

Tried out a Cobra IV - one of my friends took myself and another through large ground base assault. The mechanics of base assault are really good. Alas he failed his mission, I believe we may have be a hindrance, rather than a help!

Tried to avoid being someone else's content - trying to get said Cobra IV back to its hanger in Anlave. As Contrail have a habit of shooting me on site in Anlave had some mised success doing this.

Lovely Pics Cmdr Anders - I really like the first one. For some reason when I try to take screenshot they come "meh" at best. I'm starting to think I am as rubbish at taking photos in a game as I am in real life.

Simon

Thanks. I wish we could do a better job of taking them in-game, it's always seemed daft to me that a game that looks so good has such limitations on how much of it you can capture for posterity. Even just increasing the boundary box within which the debug camera cam move would be a huge help - I hate the fact that my ship has to be so large if I want to include it in a picture. Sometines it works like in the last one above, usua;lly though it dominates the frame too much.

Hard to sum up without writing a wall of text. Essentially I love ED because it's the best damn video game I have ever played. I believed that over a year ago and I still believe it now.

Aside from all the stuff that's baked into the game by FD (exploration, mining, bounty hunting, trading, warzones, smuggling, prospecting, ground assaults, local politics, global politics, unfolding story-lines, etc, etc) and the sheer pleasure of just flying/driving around, there are so many examples of brilliant emergent gameplay out there ...

Fuel Rats
[video=youtube_share;3h2x6e216c8]https://youtu.be/3h2x6e216c8[/video]
Buckyball Racing
[video=youtube;ZcHakPgol0o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcHakPgol0o&index=1&list=PLRxjMaBwN0-LEfUYcFiCNshAuwE-_lTb0[/video]
Elite Racers
[video=youtube_share;NSrXg_e-pNs]https://youtu.be/NSrXg_e-pNs[/video]
Base-jumping
[video=youtube_share;cQRnMqEpU4Y]https://youtu.be/cQRnMqEpU4Y[/video]
Roleplay, film making and sheer piloting skill
[video]https://www.youtube.com/user/Isinona/videos[/video]
Distant Worlds
[video]https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlxQlUpqv8OD3nhPgkI6sctD3gDzTYDRv[/video]

Last edited:
Best game I've ever played too (and I've played a lot over the years).

Currently really enjoying the combat, though I loved my trip out to Sag A* too. Loved getting pirated even though it cost me, and getting rescued by the Fuel Rats.

I start to get the shakes if I don't get my nightly pew pew :)

The graphics and sound of Elite are absolutely spectacular as are the flight models of the ships. I also really enjoy the varied pace of the game. It's an almost ideal combination of relaxing game-play peppered with times that put you on the edge of your seat with your heart pounding. I really like the sales structure of the game franchise because it means that for the next 10 years we get a big update once a year and several smaller updates throughout the year. This means that every few months, we get new things to see, new ships periodically, and new game-play every so often. That will help keep the game fresh for a very long time to come. I consider the cost we have to pay for all that content to be a real bargain. I like the scope and size of the game. The 1:1 representation of the galaxy is something really special to me. It means that I can go places and see things that no one has ever seen before including the developers and that no one is likely to ever see again. I really like the wide variety of things to do and to try in the game-- everything from finding things on planets or doing assault runs on planetary bases to doing community goals along side of thousands of fellow players, to arena fighting in CQC, to plying trade routes all across the galaxy. I like the open-ended aspects of the game-play. Very little is scripted. I can do whatever I want for however long I want to do it, and when I get tired of it, I can go do something else. They really meant it when they said you get to write your own story. I very much enjoy how the game gives you a sense that you really are navigating a starship across tremendously huge distances in space. None of that just popping in and out of star systems that are supposed to be hundreds of light years away from each other. It is a constant amazement to me to fly at tiny specks of light that turn out to be huge planets that my ship and SRV are just tiny flecks on. It really puts into perspective the sheer vastness of the galaxy we all carry out our real lives in. I live in a huge city and hardly ever get to see very many stars at night, but with Elite Horizons I not only get to see a huge star field nightly, but I also get to live the virtual life of someone who regularly navigates that vastness of the sky.

Last edited:
PvP 9/10
PvE 9/10
Solo 9/10
Offline mode 0/10
Graphics 9/10
Sound 10/10
BGS 0/10
Story 0/10
Server stability 5/10
Mission system 1/10

Total score for me 5.2/10
Mediocre

Ian Phillips

Volunteer Moderator
I have my ship on a moon, that is orbiting a moon, that is orbiting a ringed gas giant in a nebula 10,000 LY's away from Sol.

I am searching for a postion to take "That" screenshot.... poised on the edge on one of the deep and extensive canyons on this moon, with the other moon and planet in view.

What's not to love?

PvP 9/10
PvE 9/10
Solo 9/10
Offline mode 0/10
Graphics 9/10
Sound 10/10
BGS 0/10
Story 0/10
Server stability 5/10
Mission system 1/10

Total score for me 5.2/10
Mediocre

ability to read OP..... 0/10 :p
understanding of core principles of Elite 2 / 10

over all averaged score 1/10. Worse than ED then ;)

(and i realise that by responding to you means I have now fallen into the same trap and failed on the OP of the thread as well)

edit..

O look, another white knight:D

if a white knight is someone who read the post about this topic and then responded as such (which i did before responding to you), then guilty as charged. however as many of my posts are critical of this game as are positive these days... but this post as titled is purely what you LIKE about the game.

Last edited:
Well firstly it's great to see something positive on the forum ! :D

Probably the best thing about the game is that it's everything that I hoped for in a follow-up to the original Elite.

There's so much to do (so long as you have imagination and are happy to set your own goals), and an entire galaxy to do it in. Bored of something? Do something else, or just spend some time sightseeing. There's just so much out there.

That despite the mutilation of Newtonian mechanics, ED is still the most scientifically accurate space sim ever created. It's why I keep coming back to the chair every night to explore.

Top Bottom