A possible way to inspire people to play in Open

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
People champion 'Open' because of the possibilities it could have offered. If this game had been Open only, it def could have been far richer, given time. The crumbs of narrative and poor AI interactions have, let's face it, hardly been engrossing. You can't substitute what real human interaction, given the tools, could have injected into this game..
If this game were open only, I would have never played it. Just like I have never played Eve or any other multi-player only game. No offense to anyone here, but I am not interested in sharing my PC game time with strangers whom I'd not even give the time of day to in real life.

But that's just me.

The best idea I've seen for dealing with Gankers is to expel them from the Pilots Federation. If they're not members, they lose the IFF on their radar, so they can't tell CMDRs from NPCs and they lose their rebuy insurance (this will probably make the Gankers Combat Log, which is something FDev actually do frown upon).

Sadly, this subject has been debated endlessly since Elite Dangerous first came out. FDev were gong to have Ghost servers where Gankers (and cheaters) could only find others like themselves - good idea, didn't happen. Many other punishments were proposed, some quite good, none happened. Conclusion: a) FDev like it the way it is, so they will not change it. b) FDev decision makers are the primary Gankers, so they won't change it. Either way, its not going to change.

I could suggest an obvious answer, something that I do when Ganked, 'cos the Gankers don't like it, but I'd get suspended from the forum (again) if I did suggest it, so I won't.

Last suggestion - join a private group - Hutton Truckers is a good one. They have plenty of friendly players and no Ganking.

See you in the black CMDRs. For the Mug!

Why not just make PVP consensual. Have a PVP on/off option with a reasonable cool down timer so you can’t just turn it off after picking a fight you can’t win and call it done?
PvP is consensual. You consent when you select ”Open”. Again, I am saying this as someone who does not PvP much if at all.

If this game were open only, I would have never played it. Just like I have never played Eve or any other multi-player only game. No offense to anyone here, but I am not interested in sharing my PC game time with strangers whom I'd not even give the time of day to in real life.

But that's just me.
And you do not have to as there is solo and PG. Isn’t it great that we have all these different modes that suit different players?

PvP is consensual. You consent when you select ”Open”. Again, I am saying this as someone who does not PvP much if at all.

I don’t disagree . I was responding in the context of the OP who was looking for a way to limit unwanted PVP in open (in effect requiring a different consent mechanism) to draw in more players through an elaborate punishment system. I just suggested a much simpler way to accomplish that.

I can count on one hand the number of hours I’ve spent in open…..and I got A LOT of hours in this game,

What is it that would make the game better if a bunch of people play open without weapons? Just not seeing how this would accomplish anything other than making the number of people playing in open higher? I play private groups because I enjoy PVE combat but no interest in PvP. The private group let’s me have some interaction without the hassle.

It doesn't matter. I feel a lot of people who play solo would be even happier if we had Offline mode.

That was a big debate on the forums way back when...though now we realize that just isn't possible with how the game works.

I would just give Open players a small 5% bonus to credits earned and rank gain as an incentive to offset the small chance of being attacked by another player. Player piracy and whatnot should be a thing in my opinion and I rather see the community deal with any pirates or gankers through enforcer squads or what have you than punish a certain playstyle.

Of course there would need to be some kind of system to prevent exploiting such a bonus system, for example you shouldn't be able to do missions in solo and then switch to open when you turn them in for the 5% bonus. And I have ZERO faith that FDev would be able to deliver such a system that couldn't be exploited or that they even want to incentivize open play in the first place. So my post is honestly just wishful thinking that will never happen.

I play only in Open. Hardly ever see anyone. My CMDR has never killed or been killed by another CMDR. It's a big galaxy, and even the bubble is pretty massive in terms of the number of locations. Then again, I'm in Australia, so probably playing at times when the majority of Elite players in other time zones are not.

In any case, as WR3ND stated, according to Frontier, Open mode has the most players, so not sure any incentive is needed.

The more interesting discussion is, how to justify making Elite Open-only, which is what some BGS flippers and PowerPlay diehards desire, to level the playing field somewhat, although there are arguments to the contrary as well.

For that, I think you'd have to make Open play the most engaging and preferred mode for almost all players, such that Solo and PG modes become virtual ghost towns that are no longer worth maintaining. That would require some major reworking of systems and game paths. While it might be fun to theorise on how it could be done, I think it's fair to say that it almost certainly is never going to happen, and it's arguable that the benefits would likely not outweigh the investment.

Last edited:
People are frankly not that interesting. Grinding while talking to stangers is a bit like doing your taxes while someone is trying to show you pictures of their kids.
So true...the most times I've run into people are in two situations...

Trading, since I'm hitting a lot of places in one session..."Don't bother me, TIME IS MONEY!"

CGs, since it gathers a lot of people..."Don't bother me, TIME IS MONEY!"

It's a simple idea that could easily be implemented with the existing mechanics, as they appear to work. Since most of the people who play in solo do so to avoid pirates and gankers, the only way to lure people out of solo is to drastically reduce the risk of encountering those types. And I think you could do that by instituting a "death penalty" for anyone who attacks an unarmed ship. Basically, attack an unarmed ship and your commander is erased as if you had hit the menu option yourself. All your ships, all your money, all your ranks-- gone. Enjoy your new Sidewinder!
stop flying unarmed ships, defend yourself in this cutthorat galaxy
Do you expect to be unattacked in a war zone just because you don't have a gun?

It's a simple idea that could easily be implemented with the existing mechanics, as they appear to work. Since most of the people who play in solo do so to avoid pirates and gankers, the only way to lure people out of solo is to drastically reduce the risk of encountering those types. And I think you could do that by instituting a "death penalty" for anyone who attacks an unarmed ship. Basically, attack an unarmed ship and your commander is erased as if you had hit the menu option yourself. All your ships, all your money, all your ranks-- gone. Enjoy your new Sidewinder!
Why inspire people to play in Open? I mean, Open can be great, but those modes in the games are just part of the game.
Open is no holy grail or better than the other modes. It's just one of the choices when logging in.
Also: I see a mega-thread coming. :D

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom