A question about engineering changes.

I did all my engineering before the system was changed. Now I’m wondering whether I need to go re-do everything.

Are the new caps higher, or can there be a benefit to keeping legacy tweaks?

In general (it depends on the blueprint), an average-to-good G5 under the old system may well be improved just by doing the legacy conversion that puts it as a top G4 in the new system, and will certainly be beaten by a mid-range G5 in the new system. The legacy conversion is free apart from the need to visit an engineer, so you may as well compare what you've got with a top G4 and see if that improves it, even if you don't want to collect more G5 materials.

A superb G5 in the old system might still fall outside the new range - some modules are more well known for this than others.

If you're talking about G5 mod's, I'd always suggest G5 engineering at least one fresh, identical, module and then comparing it to the old (legacy) G5 module you already have.
Alternatively, I suppose you could use something like Coriolis to see how the module should perform and then compare that to how your legacy module performs.

For example, I already had 4 AspX's, all with legacy G5 FSDs.
Luckily, I wanted a couple more (don't ask) so I bought 'em and G5'd the FSDs - under the new system.
Later on, I removed a bunch of armour and other combat junk from one of my old AspX's and realised that, without all the extra weight, it had a jump range of 79Ly! 😵
Turned out that I must've got a "god roll" on that FSD, under the old system, but never noticed because it was fitted to a heavy ship.

Course, it is really rare to have got a "god-roll", under the old system, but it'd be a shame if you had one and then lost it by converting the module to the new system.

In general, a G4 mod under the new system is about equal to an average G5 mod under the old system.
That being the case, when you convert a legacy G5 module to the new system - and it becomes a G4 mod - you probably won't have lost any performance cos the new G4 will be similar to a legacy G5... unless the legacy module was a god-roll.

+EDIT+

Or, if that doesn't answer your question, a simpler way to look at it is to say that your G5 legacy modules are probably the equivalent of a G4 mod' under the new system.
So, it's likely they can be improved on in the new system (unless they were god-rolls) but they're not horrifically obsolete.

I have spent the last few weeks mostly flying around the engineers converting all my ships from legacy to current. In general I found ,as above, that the new G4 was roughly equivalent to the old G5 on modules like fsd. I know some weapons had god roles that were better than anything available under the new system but I think it is very rare for anything else. I think I had a shield booster lose a lot of performance but I didn't notice the details until it was too late. I just noticed my shield stats dropped a lot.

It is much easier to use sites like coriolis when your modules are on the new standard although seeing all those G5s turn into G4s is a bit sad.

Deleted member 38366

D
I'd say look at some of your Stats and compare it to the INARA Engineer Stats which reflect the current (V3) Blueprints: https://inara.cz/galaxy-blueprints/

You'll quickly see which ones are worth it (i.e. Shields or Shield Boosters, FSD, Thrusters) and which ones might not be (i.e. Lightweight blueprints).

Several G5 Blueprints received a distinct small buff, setting them apart from most G5 Legacy "rolls".

The manually selectable Special Effect is likely amongst the most noteworthy changes compared to Legacy - and those can only be applied to converted or new Engineered Modules where applicable.
That alone might be worth it in many cases.

On top of that, the changes mean that you can Pin a single Blueprint for every Engineer, which you can apply via Remote Workshop basically anywhere docked (i.e. right at your Home Station). Minus Special Effects, though, those can only be applied at the Engineers.
That makes it possible to apply i.e. a Grade 1 mod at an Engineer, slap the desired Special Effect on it - and then complete the Engineering via Remote Workshop right at home i.e. when you have the Mats needed.
(the applied Special Effect will be preserved, so no more "losing everything" after doing additional Engineer rolls leveling a Module up)

As a rule of thumb, I'm using the 1-2-3-4-9 + Special Metric for the Mat requirements to Engineer a fresh/unengineered Module.
(1x G1 roll, 2x G2 roll, 3x G3, 4x G4, 9x G5 + Special ; typically you've completed the Mod at that point so it can't be improved any further ; especially G5 can vary though, so don't be surprised if it only takes 7x or upto ~12x to complete it... that's still RNG)

Last edited by a moderator:
In general (it depends on the blueprint), an average-to-good G5 under the old system may well be improved just by doing the legacy conversion that puts it as a top G4 in the new system, and will certainly be beaten by a mid-range G5 in the new system. The legacy conversion is free apart from the need to visit an engineer, so you may as well compare what you've got with a top G4 and see if that improves it, even if you don't want to collect more G5 materials.

A superb G5 in the old system might still fall outside the new range - some modules are more well known for this than others.
All my stuff is G5, with some pretty sweet rolls if I recall correctly.

The only thing the old system did better (that is of use to me) is the size 5 prismatic shields for the Cutter (or any size 5 for that matter). You can't modify size 5 shields on the new system to get them to attach to a Cutter. That is likely the only mod I'll be keeping from the old system (not that I use those shields much).

Generally, the new system's G5 maximums are considerably better than the old system's G5 maximum. The exceptions are god-like rolls with extremely rare secondary effects like reduced mass or increased damage, for example, and the classic 'grandfathered' modules like size 5 shield generators with increased optimal mass modifier that can let a Cutter use them - with the current system, a Cutter can use size 6 and up shield generators only.

I’m mostly thinking about my brutal class 4 plasma accelerators and a light but sturdy corvette hull. I guess only experimenting will tell.

Some secondary effects from the old system are no longer obtainable. The new special effects that are suposed to make up for it REALY dont! As they are a choice instead of a regular special effect and the effects are tiny.. like 3% so in some cases its worth keeping legacy rolls with good secondery effects simply as they are no longer obtainable.. for example waight reductions as a secondery effect can realy make a difference on light fast ships. Also wep cap draw reduction seconderies on lasers and such are unobtainable. I kept alot of my legacy rolls as they are so much more uniqu and versatile in some situations.

Good luck with the power creep.. you will need it.

Some secondary effects from the old system are no longer obtainable. The new special effects that are suposed to make up for it REALY dont! As they are a choice instead of a regular special effect and the effects are tiny.. like 3% so in some cases its worth keeping legacy rolls with good secondery effects simply as they are no longer obtainable.. for example waight reductions as a secondery effect can realy make a difference on light fast ships. Also wep cap draw reduction seconderies on lasers and such are unobtainable. I kept alot of my legacy rolls as they are so much more uniqu and versatile in some situations.

Good luck with the power creep.. you will need it.
Thanks again, useful stuff.

Top Bottom