A simple way to make this game more accessible to new players

:unsure: Currently, there is this thing called a "codex" and "knowledgebase" in the game, that tells me absolutely nothing at all, totally useless. If I have to use google.com to figure out even the most straight forward, basic things, its not a good look for this games design. This could have been easily avoided by allowing players to add information to the "codex" that players can actually use. And some of this stuff shouldn't even need to be added by players, like which systems are known to have certain materials and such for mining, basic stuff, that should already be well known inside the bubble. If you are going to call it a "codex", then let it actually behave like a real codex, and not like this lifeless, shoe horned in, cookie cutter feature that it is now.

The amount of data storage required would be immense and out of the question for many players, a more useful version can be found at EDSM.

The amount of data storage required would be immense and out of the question for many players, a more useful version can be found at EDSM.
You wouldn't need that much data storage.. text compresses quite well.

That said, part of the trading gameplay loop is supposed to be finding lucrative trade-routes. The in-game lore is that systems jealously defend their trading data and prohibit it being advertised outside the system. So it would go against game-lore to include that in the codex.

On the other hand, there's a LOT of general-purpose information which most certainly SHOULD be in the codex which isn't. For example, a full description of all trading commodities, ships, materials, etc including systems likely to sell or trade in them. Basically all the information which could be considered "general knowledge" for members of the Pilots Federation.

Then, of course, the entire "discover your own path" part of the game - the CODEX should contain more and more information as and when you discover it in-game; a sort of personal timeline of notable events.

Unfortunately, as with many systems in Elite Dangerous, FDev did a good job at laying the foundations, but then never proceeded to build on top of them. Perhaps one day..

And some of this stuff shouldn't even need to be added by players, like which systems are known to have certain materials and such for mining, basic stuff, that should already be well known inside the bubble.
I think that's what part of the game was supposed to be about - go out there, find things, learn and use that knowledge.

True that game doesn't help in organizing knowledge you've accumulated and it's easier to have some 3rd party tool for that, like Trade Computer Extension.

And it's not like you can find things you're looking for in 3 places and that's it. Bubble is big, so everyone can find their favourite spot somewhere.
COXEX actually teaches you how to look for those things, how to find extraction economy if you need metals or minerals, etc.

You wouldn't need that much data storage.. text compresses quite well.

We already have a fairly good example of the amount of data storage required, we can use that to work out how much data storage it will take to store all the necessary data.

I think that's what part of the game was supposed to be about - go out there, find things, learn and use that knowledge.

True that game doesn't help in organizing knowledge you've accumulated and it's easier to have some 3rd party tool for that, like Trade Computer Extension.

And it's not like you can find things you're looking for in 3 places and that's it. Bubble is big, so everyone can find their favourite spot somewhere.
COXEX actually teaches you how to look for those things, how to find extraction economy if you need metals or minerals, etc.

Right, it may be big, but not for a game that takes place hundreds of years into the future, where the bubble has already existed well before you were even thought of as a character, before you were born. The codex should be able to tell me basic stuff like which systems I can go to to mine for water. The codex is so damn useless that it can't even tell me which stations have cargo racks, or passenger cabins for crying out loud. This game is just woefully underdeveloped in too many ways. In the context of the games setting itself, the amount of grind makes zero sense.

Right, it may be big, but not for a game that takes place hundreds of years into the future, where the bubble has already existed well before you were even thought of as a character, before you were born. The codex should be able to tell me basic stuff like which systems I can go to to mine for water. The codex is so damn useless that it can't even tell me which stations have cargo racks, or passenger cabins for crying out loud. This game is just woefully underdeveloped in too many ways. In the context of the games setting itself, the amount of grind makes zero sense.
You probably don't realise that outfitting is dynamic. Availibility can change. I'm not sure how this works exactly, but it can run out of stock, or might not be available if you have low reputation, etc. In game about flying spaceships, you need to fly spaceship and look for stuff.
Codex tells you where to look for water. Not precisely, but it tells you to look for planets with Icy rings.
a.jpg

Going out and searching for Icy Ring is probably part of the game. Not that hard, really.

Argument about technological advancement is pretty much pointless. I could say that so far in the future I should be able to own millions of drones that would do everything for me. I should stay home and play scrabble. But where's the game in that?

Anyway, for better or worse, 3rd party apps are part of the game now. Fdev will not add anything like that to the game as long as they exist, because it's wasted effort from their perspective, since everyone can use them if they want.

Top Bottom