A very weird planet...

Look for yourself, this is obviously just a mishap in the procedural generation. But still sure is weird, and hella unrealistic, I'd say.

6b8f2S7.jpg

Keep in mind this planet is about 20 light seconds from its star, which was an M type..

I've seen already 3 or 4 during my journey. Deep black ice planets. Just look at the atmosphere. It has a pressure of close to 12.000 (!!) earth atmospheres. At those pressures, water will be solid even at these 1800K temperature and forms a very special sort of ice.

Everything is right here ;)

Edit:
I've found it but it's really weird. At these temperature of 1800K and this "low" atmospheric pressure of only 1.2 GPa it shoukd still be liquid IF it's water ice (stated so from system map).
B888M.jpg

Last edited:
Oh damn! Well I just got educated ;) Didn't know that, I don't put enough trust into Frontier I guess, and don't do enough research! My bad!

That is very cool though, I thought at that kind of pressure, everything would be either goo or completely solid, and at those temps, red hot too, but guess not..

can't say but do you have a screenshot of the actual planet?

how?

Look at the planet stats on the left. Nearly 12,000 Earth atmospheres. And no I don't but I don't think it matters, you have all the stats on the left, including size, temp, pressure, orbital period, distance from star, its all there

Look at the planet stats on the left. Nearly 12,000 Earth atmospheres. And no I don't but I don't think it matters, you have all the stats on the left, including size, temp, pressure, orbital period, distance from star, its all there

yeah what i don't get is how that amount of water can generate such pressure on such a tiny planet. not questioning, just asking, i could learn something! :D

yeah what i don't get is how that amount of water can generate such pressure on such a tiny planet. not questioning, just asking, i could learn something! :D

I'm no astronomic or physic but it sounds odd to mee too. 0.0143 earth masses compressed into a ball with just 1,819 km generates a gravity of just 0.18G but an atmosphere so dense, that it has 12.0000 earth atmospheres pressure?

I have NO idea if this can be correct or not. I have seen similar planets and never really thought to the end if it is even possible or realistic [haha]

It's also maybe possible, that this is the core matter of a gas giant. The gases were blowen away from this K-class star (which are known to be seriously) and only this tiny core is left from the previously mighty gas giant?
Just a thought....

Last edited:
I'm no astronomic or physic but it sounds odd to mee too. 0.0143 earth masses compressed into a ball with just 1,819 km generates a gravity of just 0.18G but an atmosphere so dense, that it has 12.0000 earth atmospheres pressure?

I have NO idea if this can be correct or not. I have seen similar planets and never really thought to the end if it is even possible or realistic [haha]

It's also maybe possible, that this is the core matter of a gas giant. The gases were blowen away from this K-class star (which are known to be seriously) and only this tiny core is left from the previously mighty gas giant?
Just a thought....

We measure atmospheric pressure basically as a force acting downwards towards the planet surface. It is a measure of the "weight" of the atmosphere in a column above the surface.
That weight or force is made up of two components.

F=ma

Where m mass and a = acceleration due to gravity.

So in the example given we have a comparatively low 'a' (compared to earth). So there must be a LOT of mass that means that there is a very high 'column' of atmosphere... So we have a very thick (as a measurement of size not viscosity) layer of atmosphere on this planet. The atmospheric pressure is at planet surface, clearly it reduced as you gain altitude.

HOWEVER, what you have to remember is that when considering an astonomical body is that the thickness of the atmosphere is determined by two characteristics. Firstly the availability of atmosphere - ie if there isn't enough gas present then the body can't attract it as an atmosphere. Secondly, the body has to have a high enough gravity to attract and retain the atmosphere. This ability to keep hold of the atmosphere would be further disrupted by the proximity of other objects with significant gravity. eg moons. Our own moon pulls significantly at our atmosphere here on earth in the same way it does with the oceans to make tides.

Someone would need to do the maths based on the chemical composition of the atmosphere to establish mass. Calculate gravitational effect on the atmosheric density. and then work out pressure.

It's often the case that when you see these results they can seem counter intuitive compared to our Earth experience, but when you break the maths and physics down you find some extreme cases are very plausible.

I've seen already 3 or 4 during my journey. Deep black ice planets. Just look at the atmosphere. It has a pressure of close to 12.000 (!!) earth atmospheres. At those pressures, water will be solid even at these 1800K temperature and forms a very special sort of ice.

Everything is right here ;)

Edit:
I've found it but it's really weird. At these temperature of 1800K and this "low" atmospheric pressure of only 1.2 GPa it shoukd still be liquid IF it's water ice (stated so from system map).

This is why I come here :)

We measure atmospheric pressure basically as a force acting downwards towards the planet surface. It is a measure of the "weight" of the atmosphere in a column above the surface.
That weight or force is made up of two components.

F=ma

Where m mass and a = acceleration due to gravity.

So in the example given we have a comparatively low 'a' (compared to earth). So there must be a LOT of mass that means that there is a very high 'column' of atmosphere... So we have a very thick (as a measurement of size not viscosity) layer of atmosphere on this planet. The atmospheric pressure is at planet surface, clearly it reduced as you gain altitude.

HOWEVER, what you have to remember is that when considering an astonomical body is that the thickness of the atmosphere is determined by two characteristics. Firstly the availability of atmosphere - ie if there isn't enough gas present then the body can't attract it as an atmosphere. Secondly, the body has to have a high enough gravity to attract and retain the atmosphere. This ability to keep hold of the atmosphere would be further disrupted by the proximity of other objects with significant gravity. eg moons. Our own moon pulls significantly at our atmosphere here on earth in the same way it does with the oceans to make tides.

Someone would need to do the maths based on the chemical composition of the atmosphere to establish mass. Calculate gravitational effect on the atmosheric density. and then work out pressure.

It's often the case that when you see these results they can seem counter intuitive compared to our Earth experience, but when you break the maths and physics down you find some extreme cases are very plausible.

Theres too much science in this game for my brain. Whilst I understand your reply, I don't get how procedural generation is so capable of something that complicated, its insane. If its correct, of course. Its crazy how much detail this game has, I love it!

Im glad I provoked some brains ;) I wonder if we'll get a true explanation to see if this kind of planet really can exist.. Id be pretty damn surprised

Last edited:
Theres too much science in this game for my brain. Whilst I understand your reply, I don't get how procedural generation is so capable of something that complicated, its insane. If its correct, of course. Its crazy how much detail this game has, I love it!

Im glad I provoked some brains ;) I wonder if we'll get a true explanation to see if this kind of planet really can exist.. Id be pretty damn surprised

I'm also thankful you provoked some serious brain power! Stuff like this is why I love this game so much. People like this that understand the science and can show us how, even if just in theory, these types of things could exist are the true gems of this community. This stuff fascinates me to no end.

Top Bottom