A vision of how planets could look in Elite - Warning: Contains graphic content!

pewter

Banned
Can you even imagine how much processing power that kind of render type would require? Try making it in some game engine, run it real time, post screenshots for realistic expectations.

Can you even imagine how much processing power that kind of render type would require? Try making it in some game engine, run it real time, post screenshots for realistic expectations.

By the time Frontier are ready to give us atmo-planets who is to say that Cobra would not of been upgraded to the point where a GPU 2/3 generations from now could produce this? The images are still a million miles away from being true to life.

Given what can be done today by anyone with an ounce of 3D skills I'd say these images are not as far away as many of you seem to think.

[video=youtube;nJh0rSf3fqE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJh0rSf3fqE[/video]

People see heavy post processing with an eye straining dose of chromatic aberration and all of a sudden it's next gen stuff and cannot be rendered today LOL

Last edited:
Yesterday while browsing Twitter I came across some images from Elite Cast featuring some artwork done by a member of the Ed Art Tools community.

It's things like this that highlight just how far down the artistic ladder I am - I now realise that what I'm standing on is not the bottom rung of the artistic ladder but actually the rotting remains of a different ladder on which the artistic ladder is standing.

People see heavy post processing with an eye straining dose of chromatic aberration and all of a sudden it's next gen stuff and cannot be rendered today LOL

Exactly - it takes a hell of a lot to punish a 1080Ti and at the rate GPU's are developing right now within a few years that power will cost approx. £200 or less. Here in the office we're pretty convinced that this is doable with today's hardware with enough time and optimisation but you'd be hard pressed to get a decent frame rate... Well at least until we get GPU's that can handle 6TF's+. Project Scorpio, using Ryzen+Vega promises this although promise is a big word to throw around just as 6TF's is a huge amount of data to process.

- - - Updated - - -

It's things like this that highlight just how far down the artistic ladder I am - I now realise that what I'm standing on is not the bottom rung of the artistic ladder but actually the rotting remains of a different ladder on which the artistic ladder is standing.

Take it as inspiration and strive to reach these standards, never stop pushing yourself and never put down your own talents! ;)

Hello I made the pics of the scarab, that were made in 3dmax...SepterLt made the ones in UE4 and shared the models on Ed Art Tools...and yes they are very quick art concepts. not in game....lol

The reddit links are the highest res..sorry if peeps wanted higher.

Scarab, grass, trees. (3240x1292) http://i.imgur.com/608BKMT.jpg
Scarab, water, mud. (2757x1700) http://i.imgur.com/7phXISq.jpg
Scarab, dunes, grass. (1500x734) http://i.imgur.com/zbCZqhn.jpg
Scarab, fog, crystals. (3150x1530) http://i.imgur.com/qyQW39o.jpg

and a joke one for a reddit user "Scarab, General Lee, mud" http://i.imgur.com/sXvnQMV.jpg
They are all weird sizes as I cropped the original 4k renders...sometimes for composition cropping is needed.

I have one more I'm working on..this time making a insect like monster attacking the SRV. :)

Hope you don't mind me posting those here, thought they were too good to be missed by the forum.

I gave you some rep just because of that thread title. I needed a good laugh. :) Loved the pics and all but I dont think I will hold my breath over it just yet. We've come a long way since I first played Pong so I will patiently wait while things make their way towards the goodness your pics show. Thanks for the laugh though!

Hope you don't mind me posting those here, thought they were too good to be missed by the forum.

My thought's exactly Who? Work as good as this deserves to be seen by all of us who love the game and want it to be the best it can be. If I worked at Frontier I'd be so proud to see the love and attention put into these images. I hope they get a mention in the newsletter with full credit to the creators.

My thought's exactly Who? Work as good as this deserves to be seen by all of us who love the game and want it to be the best it can be. If I worked at Frontier I'd be so proud to see the love and attention put into these images. I hope they get a mention in the newsletter with full credit to the creators.

Frontier: "Hey, look at these amazing, beautiful environments we created for you to explore and enjoy"
DMC_RULEZ : "Hold my beer..."

Ugghgh Chronic Abhorrancy... I HATE that 'effect' - it's an unwanted lens effect, why on god's earth would they want to recreate it? I never did understand that.

This thing about PC's needing to have 12 GPU's running in liquid nitrogen tanks to create the graphics we're wanting? It's sounds like a rumour spread by those stuck with Xbox One's... any PC with something like a 1070 GPU could easily produce the sort of graphics we're seeing. We don't see it because console parity. Until consoles have upgradeable components, we will always be stuck 3-5 years in the past when it comes to multi-platform games.

Once again proven by the release of the abhorrent Mass Effect Andromeda, the graphic downgrade is incredibly painful (check out the starting sequence with the cryopods - the previous demos had steamy fog swirling everywhere... now we just have, well nothing - to ensure it ran to a acceptable framerate on the Xbox.

I don't know the capabilties of Cobra. I hope it's easily upgradeable, and adaptable to new things... but I fear it doesn't matter if it is, because I don't think Frontier will bother.

Last edited:
Thus far, the lighting improves by quite a bit with the Cobra Engine with each update or so. The fairly new stations like hightech, agriculture, and refinery all have good lighting. Hightech especially, it looks delicious.
As far as Chromatic Aberration, it's the new thing these days like the brown filter was several years ago. It is annoying, makes no sense to include that type of effect in a videogame. In the real world, CA is produced by poor quality glass like in a camera lens. You can also see it through your average magnifying glass. So to make it into a post processing filter in a videogame is like wanting to experience the game through poor optics. It's a fad and like all fads it will go away... hopefully.

Last edited:
Thus far, the lighting improves by quite a bit with the Cobra Engine with each update or so. The fairly new stations like hightech, agriculture, and refinery all have good lighting. Hightech especially, it looks delicious.
As far as Chromatic Aberration, it's the new thing these days like the brown filter was several years ago. It is annoying, makes no sense to include that type of effect in a videogame. In the real world, CA is produced by poor quality glass like in a camera lens. You can also see it through your average magnifying glass. So to make it into a post processing filter in a videogame is like wanting to experience the game through poor optics. It's a fad and like all fads it will go away... hopefully.

You would hope and think so but we still get lens flares forced on us...

pewterino

Banned
Definitely needs more solo aliens causing havoc on our ships. Damn thing melted through my fsd! Why did i have to visit that alien ruins and look at that egg?

What is exciting, is that one day, probably not too many years away, this IS what games like Elite will look like.

My Son is two. I imagine that when he is a teenager, he will look at graphics on games like Elite, The Witcher, GTA etc, much the same as Teenagers now look at the very Original Elite game from the 80s!

What is exciting, is that one day, probably not too many years away, this IS what games like Elite will look like.

My Son is two. I imagine that when he is a teenager, he will look at graphics on games like Elite, The Witcher, GTA etc, much the same as Teenagers now look at the very Original Elite game from the 80s!

Indeed, you only have to compare Elite from '84 with Elite now ...

BBC_Micro_Elite_screenshot.png

nMrC26S.png

Top Bottom