Add a way to name firstly-discovered (first walked?) planets or even systems

That would be great if a Commander will be able to name a whole system or at least a planet which is first discovered by them.
Or, to couple it with Odyssey, those where they are first walked by a surface.

To keep space civilized and at the same time not add any moderators to the team, it would be great to require a community approval for all the names.
1. Commander who discovered a system/body which can be named, enters a desired name
2. Names must be unique in the Galaxy
3. It's added to a global list accessible from Codex
4. Any other commanders in the Galaxy can view such list and vote Yes or No to the name
5. If some limit is reached (say 100 "yes"/100 "no") then the name is approved or declined - the limit should be balanced to make it meaningful and hard to manipulate, yet quick to resolve (not more than 1-2 days)
6. If the name is approved - it's automatically renamed in the Galaxy/System map across all the platforms.
7. If the name is declined - the system/body keeps it's default name and can not be changed anymore; As an option, the commander gets some penalty (either with a timeout for naming new objects, or some significant fees from the Universal Cartographics)
8. Commanders receive bonuses for voting (either credits as a Codex Bounty, or maybe even materials for engineering, or new Odyssey currency)

Whaddya think?

Nice, now explain to me why a planet I discovered first, mapped first and quite possibly landed on first in my ship should get named by you just because you got to stand on it first?
Explorers tend to stick a name on what they discovered (even if it already had a name). However, they tended to be serious persons who wouldn't call a new planet 'Planet McPlanetface' just for a laugh.

Oh, gods, I don't think I'm that creative...
MJaTrRR.png

Oh, gods, I don't think I'm that creative...
MJaTrRR.png

You're trailing me a bit, but my post was mostly sarcastic, the number of new objects discovered per week by a determined explorer can be quite high, it would probably take more time naming them than actually finding them!

You're trailing me a bit, but my post was mostly sarcastic, the number of new objects discovered per week by a determined explorer can be quite high, it would probably take more time naming them than actually finding them!
Yeah, but I pretty much stopped exploring with the FSS implementation, so those numbers are a bit long in the tooth. The only thing I've been using the FSS for is quick find on USS when I need to farm specifics.

That would be great if a Commander will be able to name a whole system or at least a planet which is first discovered by them.
Or, to couple it with Odyssey, those where they are first walked by a surface.

To keep space civilized and at the same time not add any moderators to the team, it would be great to require a community approval for all the names.
1. Commander who discovered a system/body which can be named, enters a desired name
2. Names must be unique in the Galaxy
3. It's added to a global list accessible from Codex
4. Any other commanders in the Galaxy can view such list and vote Yes or No to the name
5. If some limit is reached (say 100 "yes"/100 "no") then the name is approved or declined - the limit should be balanced to make it meaningful and hard to manipulate, yet quick to resolve (not more than 1-2 days)
6. If the name is approved - it's automatically renamed in the Galaxy/System map across all the platforms.
7. If the name is declined - the system/body keeps it's default name and can not be changed anymore; As an option, the commander gets some penalty (either with a timeout for naming new objects, or some significant fees from the Universal Cartographics)
8. Commanders receive bonuses for voting (either credits as a Codex Bounty, or maybe even materials for engineering, or new Odyssey currency)

Whaddya think?

This won't happen for several reasons, firstly it would be a lot of work for Frontier to vette names. They couldn't rely on the players to do that as people could get their friends or faction to up vote a name that's offensive or plain silly. It can't be automatic, needs a dev to green-light a name. And I don't think they'd want their galaxy filled with names like "PhreD da KiLLa's rOck ov PaiN", or "Captain Fluffypants wuz 'ere". Which are the types of names a lot of people will end up submitting! (remember Boaty mcBoatface?). Secondly a lot of people paid a lot of money during the kickstarter to name planets, moons, and whole systems, so Frontier need to tread carefully where that is concerned, and thirdly there is already a community initiative called the Galactic Mapping Project that will name worlds and systems for you as part of EDSM, and although its not official, Frontier have added some community-suggested names into the game itself, taken directly off the mapping project.

I think that's the best way they have of doing it as the community does the name-vetting for Frontier, and Frontier only occasionally add player-named systems to the game that have had some community lore or historical events associated with them.

Last edited:
Nice, now explain to me why a planet I discovered first, mapped first and quite possibly landed on first in my ship should get named by you just because you got to stand on it first?
What? why by me? o_O The one who found the system/body first will be able to name it.

Not untill they let me go through the discoveries name every single one of my first discovered systems and planets at least!
I'm not sure you understand the idea.
The point was exactly about bodies found first after the feature is added, not the retro-active.

Basically, the "naming" UI is only accessible when you submit the data to Universal Cartographics and you're the one who found this body first.

Sure, then don't use the feature.
You can name only some specific planets, or don't bother with it at all.

This won't happen for several reasons, firstly it would be a lot of work for Frontier to vette names. They couldn't rely on the players to do that as people could get their friends or faction to up vote a name that's offensive or plain silly. It can't be automatic, needs a dev to green-light a name. And I don't think they'd want their galaxy filled with names like "PhreD da KiLLa's rOck ov PaiN", or "Captain Fluffypants wuz 'ere". Which are the types of names a lot of people will end up submitting! (remember Boaty mcBoatface?). Secondly a lot of people paid a lot of money during the kickstarter to name planets, moons, and whole systems, so Frontier need to tread carefully where that is concerned, and thirdly there is already a community initiative called the Galactic Mapping Project that will name worlds and systems for you as part of EDSM, and although its not official, Frontier have added some community-suggested names into the game itself, taken directly off the mapping project.

I think that's the best way they have of doing it as the community does the name-vetting for Frontier, and Frontier only occasionally add player-named systems to the game that have had some community lore or historical events associated with them.
That's a legit concirns, but basically I have already solved it in the original post:
1. "They couldn't rely on the players" - they perfectly could, as they allowed players to name commanders and ships and write to teh chat.
Also that's why I suggested to make the voting limits resonably large so it's not possible / very hard to collect those votes by someone alone.
In case if there will be a massive community company (e.g. on Reddit or something like that) for a single specific "bad" name - well I believe it's perfectly fine since it's players to decide which game to play. Also FDevs still can check the names or allow to leave reports - the same as they do with "bad" ship names, for example.

2. "A lot of people paid a lot of money during the kickstarter to name planets, moons, and whole systems" - well, that's more serious, probably need to discuss it with those bakers. I believe it's not really an issue, since they gave names to significant places in the Bubble and no one will replace those names.

3. That's can't be counted since that data will never be in the game and does not affect the game mechanics in any way. I mean, not as a widely accessible thing, only some significant places can be named that way.

4. "and Frontier only occasionally add player-named systems" - That's just not working, not on a day-to-day basis. TO make it work, it should be an automated system with the same voting, which I sugested to integrate to the game instead of out-of-the-game talking with FDevs.

According to Kickstarter, there was 7 bakers who was able to name a star system and 100 bakers who named a planet.
Not so much people - we (FDevs) can ask each of them if they are against the idea in general - they have all the contacts.

Also the difference is - they can name the things as each of them like to, personally. While with my suggestion, it's mostly a community thing via voting.

Top Bottom