Add a way to name firstly-discovered (first walked?) planets or even systems

Sure and they have named some things already. Was it promised as an exclusive feature?

According to Kickstarter, there was 7 bakers who was able to name a star system and 100 bakers who named a planet.
Not so much people - we (FDevs) can ask each of them if they are against the idea in general - they have all the contacts.

Thousands. of. dollars!

£500 - Have a space station named* after you.

£750 - Have a planet named* after you

£3,000 - Have a frontier star system named* after you

£5,000 - Name the secret founder's system*

FDEV have been known to name stars and station in honour of people, there was Fisher's rest for instance created when Carrie Fisher died, but that's up to FDEV and their choice, naming untold thousands of systems and planets all of us nobodies suddenly decide to give names to simply isn't going to happen...ever!

I'm not sure you understand the idea.
The point was exactly about bodies found first after the feature is added, not the retro-active.

Basically, the "naming" UI is only accessible when you submit the data to Universal Cartographics and you're the one who found this body first.
I'm pretty sure you don't understand the reply ;)

The point was this should never be added because there is no way to retrospectively fix the 6 year absence of this... feature.
Besides, you should be able to name stuff that is yours, and you can. Planets and systems are not one of them.

Any none discovered planets / bodies wouldn't have a name in the first place because if they had they would have to be discovered in the first place to give it a name.
To my understanding IRL When discovered for the first they are normally named shortly after.

I think any undiscovered system in the ED Galaxy should be named "Unknown" until visited and scanned for the first time and then named after the commander(s) who scanned it first.

Thousands. of. dollars!

£500 - Have a space station named* after you.

£750 - Have a planet named* after you

£3,000 - Have a frontier star system named* after you

£5,000 - Name the secret founder's system*

FDEV have been known to name stars and station in honour of people, there was Fisher's rest for instance created when Carrie Fisher died, but that's up to FDEV and their choice, naming untold thousands of systems and planets all of us nobodies suddenly decide to give names to simply isn't going to happen...ever!
The first and the last pledges are irrelevant.

Naming significant places after some people is important and awesome, I was impressed when saw Fisher's Rest.
That's why I'm talking only about naming meaningless first-discovered things, as I mention multiple times.

UPD. ah and yes, please - Are you speaking from FDevs? Or what do you mean by "not going to happen ever"? do you have any official info on this?

Last edited:
Any none discovered planets / bodies wouldn't have a name in the first place because if they had they would have to be discovered in the first place to give it a name.
To my understanding IRL When discovered for the first they are normally named shortly after.

I think any undiscovered system in the ED Galaxy should be named "Unknown" until visited and scanned for the first time and then named after the commander(s) who scanned it first.
That's actually a whole another option - to automatically name systems after commanders when first discovered. Not just a word in the system's map, rather the actual system name for every purpose, including Galaxy Map, search, etc.
Would be great to see even that...

I think having catalog, or some alternate data, might be acceptable, but not as a primary name.

Let's see, today is 20201212, so:
Chrystoph-20201212-1 (or use the game year, I suppose) for the first undiscovered system, etc​
Let that show up as an alternate, searchable, name when you mouse over the star, but not as the name that shows up by default on the Galaxy map.

Last edited:
good idea in the basic but NO!
Neither do i wanna fly through systems named after private parts nor some other funny names or insulting or or or....

That's actually a whole another option - to automatically name systems after commanders when first discovered.

So you would have 26,000 systems named Varonica? I am user that will be useful when players arrange to meet in the system "Varonica"

Top Bottom