Ships Advice on engineering my Chieftain

Shot speed on rail guns? :unsure: I think you misread me a little there, I was not talking about plasma accelerators, but rail guns with plasma slug ammo. 😉 If i have read the stats correctly the plasma slug experimental brings a reduced heat generation as well?

Wasn't too easy for me, I had to readjust my entire control sheme to be able to hit something. (i.e. response curves for my joystick) Railguns have a little firing delay and are in fixed vaiant only. But if you are familiar with fixed lasers you should be fine using rails as well. :)
I tried it out with rails and i was starting to get better. I put em back on the shelf for now because my time to kill is still quicker on my engineered gimballed weapons.

Well I switched to long range for my pulse lasers. Should I get emissive munitions on all 3?
Have a look at this video series, there is a lot of very useful information on laser mods. There is also one about the experimentals.
Flintlock Engineering
I am not entirely sure on pulse laser mods, as I almost exclusively use beam lasers. But I do think it is not useful to stack the emissive experimental.

How hard is it to learn how to shoot with rails and and plasma?
It's a matter of practising,best advice is to fit them on a ship and go at Nav Beacons,hunt Pirates there and learn how to,in time you'll appreciate how fixed weapons are better at least on Small and Medium fast/agile ships.

Last edited:
Last year when I played ED a lot I had gotten quite reasonable hit rates with my PAs. Ofc large targets are much easier to hit, and then the armour-defeating property really pays off. But I also managed to hit small NPC ships with them and that's very satisfying I can tell you. xD
However it's a skill you have to keep honing. After not playing for like 8 months, I just couldn't land a hit on a Vulture and eventually had to run away (the disgrace!).

Anyway. ^^ As we're about it:
I also experimented with Frags at some point last year, but found them very ineffective -- too difficult to use for my flying skills. The enemy basically recharged his shields faster than I could land hits.
Now I'm thinking about finally getting myself a Powerplay module, and I hear a lot of good things about Pacifier Frags. Did anyone try them on their Chieftain? How difficult are they to use compared to a G5 Focused PA? Or to ask the other way round -- which PP modules would you recommend most for the Chieftain?

Last year when I played ED a lot I had gotten quite reasonable hit rates with my PAs. Ofc large targets are much easier to hit, and then the armour-defeating property really pays off. But I also managed to hit small NPC ships with them and that's very satisfying I can tell you. xD
However it's a skill you have to keep honing. After not playing for like 8 months, I just couldn't land a hit on a Vulture and eventually had to run away (the disgrace!).

Anyway. ^^ As we're about it:
I also experimented with Frags at some point last year, but found them very ineffective -- too difficult to use for my flying skills. The enemy basically recharged his shields faster than I could land hits.
Now I'm thinking about finally getting myself a Powerplay module, and I hear a lot of good things about Pacifier Frags. Did anyone try them on their Chieftain? How difficult are they to use compared to a G5 Focused PA? Or to ask the other way round -- which PP modules would you recommend most for the Chieftain?
Frags are very good but you'll need also something to disable shields,Pacifiers are one of the best weapons around,put one Pacifier in your Large hardpoint on Chief,Lasers in the Mediums and Enforcer Cannons in the smalls,two Firegroups.

Note, Chief has 2 Large, 1 Med, 3 Smalls :)
Which is btw one reason why I have preferred it over the direct competition (Challenger, Federals). Since I started out with Multicannons, one Large may have less raw DPS than two Mediums, but the higher Piercing of the Large MC gives you an edge.
Granted, this point is probably moot comparing Med and Lrg PAs since they both have Piercing 100, I have to admit I never thought about that.

Anyway my plan would be to stick to using 4 Lasers on the Smalls and Med to get rid of shields, then use the Pacifiers to shred the hull.

Note, Chief has 2 Large, 1 Med, 3 Smalls :)
Which is btw one reason why I have preferred it over the direct competition (Challenger, Federals). Since I started out with Multicannons, one Large may have less raw DPS than two Mediums, but the higher Piercing of the Large MC gives you an edge.
Granted, this point is probably moot comparing Med and Lrg PAs since they both have Piercing 100, I have to admit I never thought about that.

Anyway my plan would be to stick to using 4 Lasers on the Smalls and Med to get rid of shields, then use the Pacifiers to shred the hull.
Yeah sorry about that I always have in mind the Challenger :cool: Does not change the product,two Pacifiers for kinetic damage (much more devastating than any MCs) all the rest can be an assortment of Pulse (Long Ramge/Scramble Spectrum) and Beams (Long Range/Thermal vent).

How hard is it to learn how to shoot with rails and and plasma?

It depends on your talent. I am rather untalented and a total klutz; however, I can now use them and they are my weapons of choice. Below is what I did. Efficient Plasma Accelerators are the Love of My Life, after short range blaster railguns. :)

Plasma Accelerators.

I used an FDL with four medium gimballed multicannons and one huge PA to learn. The multicannon reticle is on the same vector as the PA reticle but is closer to the ship. I used the MC reticle to train my eye to track the PA reticle. The further you are from the target, the more spread out the MC and PA reticles are from the ship. You want to fly in such a way as to get the reticles to bunch together. The closer you are to the target, the closer the PA reticle is to the ship, and the more likely it is for the PA to connect. The PA reticle is very deceving and a feel for the target vector is at all times is necessary. You could aim precisely but not hit the target because your PA shot was not on an intercept course with the target ship vector.

I farmed czs and massacre missions with the 4mc 1 PA build until I was able to connect the PA almost Every Single Time. This is especially difficult with viper 3s. However, since I PVP, I needed Viper 3s to be easier because humans are even more difficult. Then I gradually substituted the rest of the MCs with PAs. My current favorite build is four PAs mostly thermal conduit and one target lock breaker and one turreted corrosive mc. I love having the mc reticle reference in especially asteroid belts, where the rocks often obscure reticles. In open space, I no longer need the MC reticle as a crutch.

For long rail guns I used a gimballed beam to help my eye tracking, then went to some sort of fixed lasers. For short range rail guns, it's almost purely a matter of range control.

How many systems do I have to visit to get HGE's? I've been to several with 2 bil pop and when I scan nav beacon, no HGE's

EDIT Ive now been to 10 different boom systems and got 1 HGE with a 10 min timer. LOL i give up

My favoured way to do brain-off materials gathering is to go to Facece, Futhark or Cemiess. HGEs there will generally produce 3-5 Imperial Shielding, and there are usually quite a lot of them. The nice thing about Imperial Shielding is it almost never comes mixed in with G4 materials, which the others do.

My favoured way to do brain-off materials gathering is to go to Facece, Futhark or Cemiess. HGEs there will generally produce 3-5 Imperial Shielding, and there are usually quite a lot of them. The nice thing about Imperial Shielding is it almost never comes mixed in with G4 materials, which the others do.
THx Ive found this out too. Whenever I need manufacture i just fill up imperial shielding then go trade em

Efficient Plasma Accelerators are the Love of My Life, after short range blaster railguns. :)
For long rail guns I used a gimballed beam to help my eye tracking, then went to some sort of fixed lasers. For short range rail guns, it's almost purely a matter of range control.
Like I said earlier I plan to equip a chieftain with 3 rails in the small hardpoints. Just still very undecided if I should go short range or long range. As I only use my rails at short range anyway (can't even see targets at 6km on my 17 inch laptop screen... 😅 ) the choice should be pretty easy, but I keep reading stuff about the 'micro gimballing' effect being so much better on the long range mod....

Like I said earlier I plan to equip a chieftain with 3 rails in the small hardpoints. Just still very undecided if I should go short range or long range. As I only use my rails at short range anyway (can't even see targets at 6km on my 17 inch laptop screen... 😅 ) the choice should be pretty easy, but I keep reading stuff about the 'micro gimballing' effect being so much better on the long range mod....

It depends on whether your opponents are likely to use Shield Cell Banks and how good your range control is. Those three smalls are great utility slots for things like corrosive, emmissive and feedback cascade experimentals.

Short range blaster railguns, at least grade 5, have a 1.5 max range; I believe grade 4 is 1.8 km max. All srb rails have a 1 km damage drop off. Range control is key.

If you anticipate a lot of SCBs, I would go two small long range feedback cascade and 1 small superpen long range. I am going to guess that you will not be 6 km away from your target, more like between 2-4 km. However, if you feel like you can maintain an orbit of 1.5 km or less, go SRB rails because they are really super fun when they connect.

The higher rank you are, and especially in CZs, the more likely NPCs will spam SCBs , especially Pythons and Anacondas. The Spec Ops in czs are notorious for spamming SCBs, which is why they take so long to kill if you do not immediately cancel their banks.

The micro-gimballing effect is OP when it comes to sniping with long range rail guns.... that is, the ease of the snap. SRB Rails are more about damage, although sniping is possible. It's just more difficult with SRBs imo.

What is this micro-gimballing effect you mention? Is it an inherent feature of railguns? I couldn't find anything on the wiki page.

This is mine. Can do all things combat, from pve to pvp, you can solo wing assassination, do med to high cz and stuff like that. Just need to fly FA off, repair your 5D MRP and sync ammo.

Long Range can be very deadly. For PVE missions, usually my approach are:
1. FA-off
2. Boost + Thrusters while spamming PAs to knock out shields. Rails to cancel SCB.
2. Once the shield is down, glide away about 5km and spam LR rails on power plant. Recharge shields at the same time.
3. Kaboom and move on to next target.
4. FA-on and jump away

It depends on whether your opponents are likely to use Shield Cell Banks and how good your range control is. Those three smalls are great utility slots for things like corrosive, emmissive and feedback cascade experimentals.

Short range blaster railguns, at least grade 5, have a 1.5 max range; I believe grade 4 is 1.8 km max. All srb rails have a 1 km damage drop off. Range control is key.

If you anticipate a lot of SCBs, I would go two small long range feedback cascade and 1 small superpen long range. I am going to guess that you will not be 6 km away from your target, more like between 2-4 km. However, if you feel like you can maintain an orbit of 1.5 km or less, go SRB rails because they are really super fun when they connect.

The higher rank you are, and especially in CZs, the more likely NPCs will spam SCBs , especially Pythons and Anacondas. The Spec Ops in czs are notorious for spamming SCBs, which is why they take so long to kill if you do not immediately cancel their banks.

The micro-gimballing effect is OP when it comes to sniping with long range rail guns.... that is, the ease of the snap. SRB Rails are more about damage, although sniping is possible. It's just more difficult with SRBs imo.
You made some very good points here, which I did not really consider. As I just reached Master rank, I am only starting to encounter high enough ranking NPC that use SCB, like once or twice so far which I have noticed. So I guess this issue will only get worse now. Amusing to see you mention Pythons, as those subjectively seem to be the toughest opponents I encounter. They take forever to kill, even compared to Anacondas. :)
Guess I will stick with long range and plasma slugs for longer endurance in practicing and later switch for feedback cascade/ super penetrator.

What is this micro-gimballing effect you mention? Is it an inherent feature of railguns? I couldn't find anything on the wiki page.
From what I figured so far this is a very incomplete answer:
Railguns can hit 100% as long as you aim your target just before it fires.
So apparently all fixed weapons have the ability to do micro adjustments to target specific modules, thus 'micro gimballing', within a certain limit. Long Range enhances this ability, which means that at long distances the 'micro gimbal' covers large portions of the target ships, and can snipe the modules within that area. At least thats how I understand it. This is explained in this excellent Video.

Last edited:
Top Bottom