Alec's best of the forum (and elsewhere) [v2]

I have some bad news which I wanted to share in the hope that it circulates out to the appropriate people.

Last Friday Cmdr Hoodathunk, who's been a long time member of the Elite: Dangerous community and was one of the key maintainers of the much loved EDDI cockpit interface, suffered a massive stroke and I'm very sorry to say that he passed away yesterday.

There's a message from Hoodathunk's step-son Benton which has been re-posted by VerticalBlank over in the EDDI forum thread.

eddi-3-3-bring-your-cockpit-to-life

If anyone wishes to pass on any messages then that's probably the best place to do so and perhaps VerticalBlank will be able to get them back to the family.

BMF1iAD.png

Just gonna give a quick plug for something that I'm very heavily involved with at the moment.

8eLVrRR.png

On Sunday evening at 17:00 UTC it's the 4th stage of the Elite Racers SRV Endurance championship.
You can watch sensational live coverage of the race here.

Additionally, if you want to pick up some tips on how to flive an SRV at speeds in excess of 100m/s over some pretty damn serious terrain then tune in to our live discussion with the drivers on Saturday evening at 20:00 UTC here.

Oh, and if you want to know what to expect on Sunday night then here's the highlights from the last event.

Also, another shoutout for this weekend reminding people that tomorrow night is the final deadline for submissions to the Colonia Speedrun Competion which is being run by @Exigeous in association with the Buckyball Racing Club. How fast can you get from Rebuy Prospect in the Fullerene C60 system to Jaques Station in Colonia? See the linked forum thread for full details.

Submissions must be in by midnight PST Sunday 13th (that's tomorrow).

We'll be announcing the prize winners on a livestream at 6pm UK time (17:00 UTC) on Tuesday 15th.

ATTENTION: for anyone directed here by Frontier's Elite Dangerous newsletter this week please note that the next race (at time of writing this) takes place at 17:00 UTC Sunday 13th September and can be watched here:

Additionally you can tune in for a live discussion about SRV racing with the drivers tonight (12th September) at 20:00 UTC over here:

Trending: Nothing you haven't already seen but just recording the two dev diary threads for posterity (the 2nd of which is the place to post your questions for tomorrow night's livestream).

Also, a shoutout for this stunningly beautiful video from Cmdr Eagle131.

Added @Jmanis's utterly superb "Illustrated yet Incomplete Encycopedia of Useless Stuff" to the useful reference lists section (yes, I'm aware of the incongruity of this). This thread is absolute nectar to me and pretty much the reason I created "Best Of" in the first place. Haven't seen one of these for quite some time!

P.S. Post #2 in my forum thread here is full again. To make a bit of room I've started shunting some of the stuff that's now out of date into post #5.

FDEV owes me a coffee, a keyboard and a monitor... I laughed so hard at this unexpected gem!

I truly loved all the CM members that have worked on ED, but I think this trio - and moreso Arthur - is the best since our dear Ed Lewis (we miss you so much Ed!)

Top Bottom