Alec's best of the forum (and elsewhere) [v2]

Couple of cool things caught my eye/ear yesterday.

Primetime Casual is back with a promo for his Elite: Dangerous farewell expedition which promises to be a poignant but fascinating watch.

Source: https://youtu.be/hp45tB5fcsA

And Wotherspoon and Beetlejude's always excellent Galnet News Digest released an especially amusing extra episode entitled "Oolite Rewrite".

Plus, since I just spotted it and I'm already here, Frontier just released detailed figures and explanations for the recent cuts in Anti-Xeno combat bond payouts that snuck in unannounced with update 14.02.

Warning: you will waste more time than you initially think you will playing this!

New personal best!
WkztcPt.png

Oh, and speaking of daft (but nevertheless pretty amusing) high scores, Cmdr Spatula breaks the ship heat record and hits 1,000,000% heat!
🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
Source: https://youtu.be/t3whevRYOKM

Last edited:
I also seem to spend more time staring at the stars than at my feet... ;]

Attachments

• EDO ship feet Quizz.jpg
    EDO ship feet Quizz.jpg
    788.3 KB · Views: 62
Many people might remember Cmdr Arithon's wonderful collection of ship blueprints. Sadly he's subsequently left and taken the blueprints with him. Luckily @Velko Vidich has been producing new ones and has just released a whole set of incredibly detailed Krait Phantom blueprints for our enjoyment.

DBX blueprints now available!

Following on from this week's Lave Radio discussion on flight control systems, there's a terrific forum thread going at the moment with some really informative posts on the subject (link takes you to a particularly excellent summation of one person's HOTAS journey).

Last edited:
Today's little thing I wanted to highlight is this fabulous detailed catalogue of all the different forms of exobiological flora from the Deep Space Network.

Click on each species to get a detailed and beautifully illustrated list of all the different sub-species and colour variants along with full descriptions, conditions of occurence, value and minimum sampling distance. I remember the criticisms (myself included) when this feature first came out about how limited and hand crafted it all "seemed" considering what procedural generation ought to be capable of. I think I have to retract that ... as we've delved deeper and uncovered more and more species and varieties it's become apparent that the scope of what Frontier implemented here was actually pretty damn impressive!

Last edited:
Nick's bloomin' marvellous lego station interiors now all available to view on the forum!

Fantastic new video from @Rosefine documenting the Ram Tah Guardian mission stuff.

Source: https://youtu.be/ESjE1UCASvk

Also wanted to shout out this week's Guard Frequency podcast where they get a couple of professional QA testers on to talk about the QA process. Now this is in relation to the the recent Star Citizen 3.18 update but if you listen to it hearing "Odyssey launch" every time they say "3.18" then I think it's equally relevant and a genuinely fascinating insight into this oft maligned and misunderstood side of the software industry. As a little bit of context for one aspect of this discussion which is perhaps less relevant to Odyssey, a big issue with the SC 3.18 update was that CIG wanted beta testers to stress test the release but didn't get enough people to do it so went ahead and released the update live in order to get the data they needed (with somewhat disastrous consequences). Anyway, that's by the by really (and I don't want to get into a SC discussion), but it's a really good listen nevertheless.

Fast forward to 4:46 for the start of the discussion.

Just a quick mention that @CapitanAceRimmer's excellent collection of Elite Dangerous utilities (ways to find interesting and/or useful stuff nearest to a given system) has moved from its old "hozbase" domain to a new "azurewebsites" domain but is otherwise still alive, well and most excellent.

Top Bottom