All stations should have rentable cargo storage

I'd say EVERY Station should be selling Cargo racks up to C6 at least. But what I'm generally uhappy about is that module swapping has no cost. I mean, you bought Cargo Rack, been hauling Biowaste in it for 3 months on end, and sometimes you been doing it drunk to the point of wasted, than sell it for a full price. At least detract ~5% for aerosol expenses of Station to re-sell it, eh?

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
I'd say EVERY Station should be selling Cargo racks up to C6 at least. But what I'm generally uhappy about is that module swapping has no cost. I mean, you bought Cargo Rack, been hauling Biowaste in it for 3 months on end, and sometimes you been doing it drunk to the point of wasted, than sell it for a full price. At least detract ~5% for aerosol expenses of Station to re-sell it, eh?
When, some time after launch, an update introduced a deduction from the value of a module on selling it there was a "bad reaction" among the player-base. The change was reverted.

There could be a limit on storage, that would stop people stockpiling. Maybe say 100 units per storage place, one storage place per system, make it inconvenient for stockpilers to abuse the system efficiently.

While it may be what a subset of the player-base wants, it's been given by Frontier, long ago, as a reason not to offer commodity storage.

Well there can be some ways to have cargo storage and avoid the possibility of manipulating the market and exploiting the feature in general, or at least reducing the effect for e.g:
-You can only store once with your ship on a particular station. I.e. you can not use the same ship (or even multiple ships) to store multiple times on the same station.
-It can only be non-purchasable cargo (i.e. salvageable or mission reward only).
-Maximum amount is limited by the maximum amount of cargo your ship can hold. i.e. if ship can hold a maximum of xx tones then that is the maximum amount you can store on that particular station.
-Time restriction. Your cargo disappears after xy amount of time.
-Cargo is stored always inside cargo modules i.e. you store the cargo module or even simpler inside your ship. And you store your ship with cargo in it. You can not store another ship with cargo on that station. Neither you can transfer a stored ship / cargo module from station x to station y with cargo in it.
And many other restrictions I am too tired to think off that can prevent exploitation of an otherwise very useful feature. But I am sure Frontier can think off as it is there job.
Sure when the feature is 1st implemented there would be some exploits. People will do their best to break the game and bring the BGS and other aspects of the game to its knees. But after a few patches all these negatives can be eliminated. Nothing is impossible. The question is: is it worth the effort? IMHO it is. Of course I am probably representing the minority. But at least I tried..

Hi CMDRs!

Here's an interesting idea, as well as thoughts for why it would be a great addition to the ED universe.

All stations should have rentable cargo storage space:
-There should be a per diem storage fee, based on system demand (relies on thru traffic and population stats), it's cheap to stockpile stuff in some backwater, but space is at a premium in high-traffic systems
-Storage should vary by station type: outposts-small, stations-large, bases-largest
-In the event that you cannot pay the storage fee (which would deduct from your balance automatically), your stored cargo gets seized and you forfeit it.

Why this is a Good Idea:
-It allows logistical strategy: buy in a large ship, drop off somewhere, use a medium to deliver to an outpost with only medium pads
-Missions can now be issued without ship size checks; it is up to CMDR to work out the delivery
-CMDRs can now "invest," "stockpile," or "manipulate the market" -- this is good because it adds new depth to the game and new ways to play. This is what ED players want, from what I see here on the forums.
-Spacelegs heist opportunities?
-Station looting/piracy options?
It's very complex, that's why FDEV will like it and will do it (in 3-4 years)

I have to say, these posts are unhelpful and annoying. Also, in the many other threads on this topic, there has never been a viable argument against the feature.

Stockpiling goods to manipulate the market is not a bad thing, and really the only "harm" that could come of this.

check previous threads when this subject was extensively discussed

Deleted member 38366

D
Funny though... the official reasons given by FDev as to why they did not want it made sense at the time...but now - years later - are long obsolete.

Changes to the Game structure (Income Meta, BGS) nullified every single argument of the past, as all of these changes now effectively limit or downright deny any former/massive manipulation means.
  • increased Trade profits by stockpiling for certain Faction States? Meaningless. Profits generated by many other means are far higher.
  • stockpiling of Mined Ores? Meaningless. The days of Trade-related "BGS Bombs" are long long over.
  • stockpiling of Mission Rewards? Meaningless. The days of the original Engineer Blueprints are over and at best it saves CMDRs a few annoying trips to unlock isolated Engineers.
So in a nutshell, there's no downside remaining not to have Cargo storage as a Player Option. It literally doesn't matter anymore.
btw. Carriers - no later than in Trade or Mining role - will have to offer some form of Cargo Storage. Otherwise, they wouldn't offer any sensible Utility in these roles.

On the downside, having Cargo Storage also is far less relevant/beneficial than it would have been years ago.
But it'd be a neat Option to have for those that have a use for it (AFAIK there's still some Player Groups revolving around organizing/exchanging Commodities for a fee, so there's a valid reason to have such an Option).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say, these posts are unhelpful and annoying. Also, in the many other threads on this topic, there has never been a viable argument against the feature.

Stockpiling goods to manipulate the market is not a bad thing, and really the only "harm" that could come of this.
Oh and your post is so helpful lol! (n)

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
They also said that fleet carriers were coming in December 2019... So NO market manipulation is subject to change as well IMO, especially because it is a weak reason
Opinions naturally vary - regarding the relative merits of any reasons for and against the introduction of such a feature.

When, some time after launch, an update introduced a deduction from the value of a module on selling it there was a "bad reaction" among the player-base. The change was reverted.
This is one reason FDev makes such slow progress. I do think they pander too much to the more vocal elements of the player base.

They fail to realize that undoing progress for the sake of a vocal 5% craps on the 95% who want to see some change.

Here's an interesting idea, as well as thoughts for why it would be a great addition to the ED universe.

I fully support this proposal! Why can I store ships at different stations and various components and modules for ships, but it is impossible to store anywhere at least a little cargo (especially rare and valuable) ?

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
This is one reason FDev makes such slow progress. I do think they pander too much to the more vocal elements of the player base.
If players are silent, how would Frontier know what they want? This seems to be a suggestion to ignore the whole player-base rather than listen to those who discuss player proposals.
They fail to realize that undoing progress for the sake of a vocal 5% craps on the 95% who want to see some change.
Citation required for the 5% vs. 95% claim.

.... and players seeking change does not mean that they all want the same change(s) to be made.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
By the way - this question was raised a few years ago, and then the Frontiers said: they were thinking about this issue. However, three years have passed, but they are still thinking:
Given that Frontier chose option B (remove commodities from engineer modification recipes) approaching three years ago, I'd not be quite so certain that commodity storage is still being actively thought about.

Given that Frontier chose option B (remove commodities from engineer modification recipes) approaching three years ago, I'd not be quite so certain that commodity storage is still being actively thought about.
I expect you're right. But I think they'll have to do something about it for carriers. A mining or trade support ship will be pointless without some kind of cargo storage. It wouldn't necessarily apply to stations too though.

A great idea and one I think has been discussed many times. Simply, it would be useful for lower level players who are collecting Modulars (example) to unlock an engineer, who might want to have a break and swap ships to do some bounty hunting. You can't currently swap ships if you have cargo on board - why the heck not?

Storage space could be limited to say 500T per player to eliminate opal hoarding or any sort of unrealistic intentions, if that's a concern.

The price of storage could also increase with the value of the commodity being stored. Storing 500T opals instead of selling them raises eye brows - 5m credits would suffice to keep quiet...

Top Bottom