Allow the VR '2D screen' to be disabled?

Ah yeah it did seem to have a wider boundary to me too. Like it felt like it took 2 seconds+ to move away from the collision boundary before the full image returned.
Not just imagining things then 😅

I’ll do some more checks to see if we’ve reverted back to pre-Update 6 boundaries.

Edit: looks like it’s just the Scorpion and Scarab - I can still smear my virtual face up against my Cobra’s hull 😁 Not sure if the SRV boundaries have changed, to be honest I can’t remember trying the camera suite with them after Update 6. They’re still much more than everything else in the game at the moment though.

Last edited:
Oh really? Everything seemed the same for me last night. (2D screen for on foot, vanity cam working as before - VR in 3rd person by default, camera positionable to 'first person' manually, just no collisions with the avatar etc).

How were you doing it before?
I bind it to two buttons in my hotas: enter free camera and commander camera, when pressed correctly worked in 1st person inmediately

I bind it to two buttons in my hotas: enter free camera and commander camera, when pressed correctly worked in 1st person inmediately

Ah the plink technique?

That stopped working for me a few patches back. (As in, it still works, but it now centers the camera above the avatar's head, rather than at eye level. Which isn't that useful)

What happens for you?

Ah the plink technique?

That stopped working for me a few patches back. (As in, it still works, but it now centers the camera above the avatar's head, rather than at eye level. Which isn't that useful)

What happens for you?
Exactly! camera camera above the head you feel like your'e a giant. So how do I center the camera after entering vanity mode? I don't know how to do that, if you could guide me I'd appreciate it :)

Exactly! camera camera above the head you feel like your'e a giant. So how do I center the camera after entering vanity mode? I don't know how to do that, if you could guide me I'd appreciate it :)

It’s a bit of a pain but just unlock the camera, reposition, lock it again. (There should be prompts on the vanity cam UI if you have the keys bound. I use an Xbox controller and the defaults are triggers to alter height etc). I tend to just move the camera forward, lower it to approx eye level, and then back up til I hit the avatar.

You’ll have to do it every time you leave/re-enter the vanity cam view though, so it’s not as handy as the plink was.

It’s a bit of a pain but just unlock the camera, reposition, lock it again. (There should be prompts on the vanity cam UI if you have the keys bound. I use an Xbox controller and the defaults are triggers to alter height etc). I tend to just move the camera forward, lower it to approx eye level, and then back up til I hit the avatar.

You’ll have to do it every time you leave/re-enter the vanity cam view though, so it’s not as handy as the plink was.
It would be dead simple for @Fdev to just add another set of coordinates to an extra camera, or they could change one of the existing ones. It's probably not gonna happen. It seems more like they are messing up the game as much as possible, and thereby have people leaving, so that once they pull the plug on the game completely, the crap storm will be less severe.

It would be dead simple for @Fdev to just add another set of coordinates to an extra camera, or they could change one of the existing ones. It's probably not gonna happen.

Yeah we did ask for some more VR QoL in the vanity camera, on the grounds that they had been altering it. No idea if the changes were to accomodate VR heads or just incidental though. (IE did they remove & re-instate avatar collision for some technical or trial reason other than VR access? Quite possibly.)

The previous plink solution, with partial avatar transparency, was eccentric...

Source: https://youtu.be/hCewJsnJSxE

But it was quick and easy to use, for sure.

It seems more like they are messing up the game as much as possible, and thereby have people leaving, so that once they pull the plug on the game completely, the crap storm will be less severe.

I suspect their intention is the opposite ultimately. It's just that things aren't always going entirely to plan ;)

I suspect their intention is the opposite ultimately.
Only time will tell, since communication is "lacking". I don't know about you, but personally I haven't given up on the game yet. I just play a lot less, and try to expect absolutely nothing. It's still the best game ever and flying spaceships still work in VR, so that's what I do, while trying to ignore the freezes and the 320x200 resolution I have to run on my otherwise decent PC.

I have just switched over from console and have no plans to purchase odyssey simply because it lacks full VR support. I guarantee that if this quick fix were implemented I would immediately purchase Odyssey.

I have just switched over from console and have no plans to purchase odyssey simply because it lacks full VR support. I guarantee that if this quick fix were implemented I would immediately purchase Odyssey.
Everybody else's feelings exactly. I got bushwacked I pre bought it before they announced no VR at launch. I am still waiting. But no more money will I spend with FD till they fix this.

Last edited:
Everybody else's feelings exactly.
Everybody's?
the-princess-bride-inigo-montoya.gif

Yours certainly. Not mine.

Last edited:
Everybody that plays VR is ready for the whole game to be in VR. And making the on foot gray frame black would be a good start.
You and I, and many others who aren't even posting here (there you go, can't argue semantics now) wanted FD to make VR support better. I've stopped playing since Oddity because I only want to play in VR. And I doubt we'll get a change to the status quo, considering the grey letterbox should be easy to change, and even that hasn't been made.

Rat Catcher is happy with the status quo in VR terms.

It’s a yes from me.

ANYTHING would be better than the grey screen.

I don’t actually think a full vr implementation is the right thing for EDO.*

All I want is to be in vr on legs to enjoy the vistas…

Give me a vr view, and force me to use a gamepad for movement and shooting, or a face tied gunsight and I’ll be really happy.

* basically - there is no (safe) way for me to climb out of my vr cockpit to be able to use roomscale while in Vr, and it’s be a pain in the ass to do so…

I agree with Arctander, full VR is impractical without heavier development to make VR moving a reality.

However, VR head-look with classic methods of control for movement and shooting isn't too hard in the bigger scheme of things.

Because FD can currently continue supporting VR that's already been implemented in-cockpit, we're not in the same situation as console players, but we are in experience terms when in comes to gameplay additions down the line. Not that I think we'll get any more further expansions, I think Oddity is the last IMO.

FD haven't done a thing towards any further VR support, so I can't be ringed to get involved in ED anymore.

Last edited:
It’s a yes from me.

ANYTHING would be better than the grey screen.

I don’t actually think a full vr implementation is the right thing for EDO.*

All I want is to be in vr on legs to enjoy the vistas…

Give me a vr view, and force me to use a gamepad for movement and shooting, or a face tied gunsight and I’ll be really happy.

* basically - there is no (safe) way for me to climb out of my vr cockpit to be able to use roomscale while in Vr, and it’s be a pain in the to do so…
Amen to that brother.

+1 to this more than a year old post.....

Exploring in third person in VR feels great. Looks like it would be not that hard to be able to VR onfoot.... But of course settlments are another very different thing than almost barren worlds in third person.

But anyone can quckstart a first person VR project on unity just downloading an asset... Meaning... Even if is not perfect, is feasible.

I'm just hoping that the silent FD thinks that if they can make a good VR onfoot they can be one of the better VR-mmo games of all genres out there. But having in consideration how much screwed was Oddisey launch... Well.

I'll just keep playing, expect nothing, welcome any new/better features. (as with everything in ED)

Top Bottom