Allow use of pre 3.3 Advanced Discovery Scanner

Would the option to add the ADS (that you would not need to equip) detract from your own play? I think there are people who would prefer not to have to enter the FSS Scanner Screen just as you (presumably) did not want to have to use the ADS before it was removed.

Mostly because the two systems are mutuality exclusive. The old ADS gives you the entire system layout in one honk and all the exploration data that comes with it, people wouldn't bother looking using the new system so why bother developing it.

OTOH you got the zoomed-in view of the worlds, an advanced "photo explorers" tool. Just a little extra work and you can be much more sure the trip to the planet will be worth it.
True that. It reveals far more details. The problem is that only about one body. FSS is a great scanning mechanic for getting to knnow the system You are currently better. While it does zoom on to the body, that's basicaly it. It shows one body. A still frame. You can't as quickly tell whether that body is in extraordinary orbit around other object as with system map You could.
the FSS is a barrier to seeking out such things.
I do believe I must disagree. It is not a barrier per se. It only slows things down quite significantly.

Yes, but you just don't get it that some of us LIKE the barrier. At least do something to get to know the system.
Don't get me wrong, nor please take it as an attack but let me point out that:
1. It is as valid an argument as "but some of us DON'T LIKE the barrier".
2. I got to know the system. It's okay. I stated in previous posts that it's fun mechanic of actually carrying out the scan. However please try to understand that for those, who have seen the very essence of beauty the game can generate, and those who have spent significant amounts of time in game finding such systems just to have a look and hang around there introducing a mechanic that drasticaly slows down the rate of finding such systems(not saying well paying ones, just the extraordinary) is a serious deal breaker.
This is what really frustrates me, I don't see the difference between what the op is describing and using this instead;-
Please re-read the thread as there is plenty of information that I tried to make as clear as possible.
Long story short, FSS shows what types of bodies are in the system precisely. At a glance. What it does not show is the relation between those bodies - their orbits, distances etc. Which system map does at a glance. So there is an even trade-off where using FSS shows exactly what is in the system and system map showing how those bodies are placed at the cost of not being too clear to the untrained explorer what type of body it actually is.
But say you are looking for a glowing green gas giant... You can drop into a system, see at a glance that there are gas giants present.
This is a bit of unsafe ground as it falls both in the territory of cherry-picking and what would be the main goal of allowing players to use the ADS.
I'd mostly like to focus on bodies' orbits, their distances. Oddities in system generation

What would be better though is to have some gameplay that helps you find that pirate instead of a great big freaking marker saying shoot me know.

Suppose you are taking a mission to blow up pirates, but there was no indication in the HUD that a ship was a mission target. So, you just have to keep blowing up ships in the vague hope that they are the ones you are actually after (and we can ignore the fact that in real life, those ships often don't turn up anyway). While blowing up ships may be fun, if your goal were to complete the mission, you'd probably get fed up pretty soon and wish there were a way of actually targeting the ships you want to engage with and blow up.

Genuine question (Because I've been too busy mining) Have they removed the Mission Target indicator or Wanted Indicator when you target a ship then? I always thought that if you had selected a kill pirates mission, you either scan the Nav beacon to get the location you need or when you target a ship, it tells you if it's a mission target.

You are quite right, I've never gone looking for a specific type of green gas giant, but Isn't that one mapped on the picture posted earlier (I.e. Helium Gas Giant)

The old ADS gives you the entire system layout in one honk and all the exploration data that comes with it, people wouldn't bother looking using the new system so why bother developing it.
It did not. Have a look at screenshots of system map before 3.3 update took place. Before actually doing the scanning job of flying around the system bodies would remain labeled as "undiscovered". All You had is the layout, distances and some basic information.
I want people to notice, that if well balanced, those systems could, in fact, coexist. Say initial honk does not provide credits should You stick to the System map reveal. Or other proposed solutions mentioned in the thread. As per using the new system, i've already explained, that it is in fact fun way of scanning bodies within the system. Not to mention efficient one. Same has been said about new mining gear. Why use it if the new gear gives more credits? After all mining beams have not been removed although those, one could argue, were a placeholder mining gear. It's a matter of preffered gameplay and our ability to choose and shape our own gameplay loops. To everyone in this thread, i do not aim to have the FSS removed.
I'm interested in allowing exploration oriented Commanders to be able to select the tools sutied for their playstyle. Those who like FSS would stick to FSS. Frankly, most of Us would.
Those who You have graciously named "Photo Explorers" would have it their way or at least not more time consuming. They Could continue to play as they did and find enjoyable. Same as everyone who finds FSS enjoyable.

Genuine question (Because I've been too busy mining) Have they removed the Mission Target indicator or Wanted Indicator when you target a ship then? I always thought that if you had selected a kill pirates mission, you either scan the Nav beacon to get the location you need or when you target a ship, it tells you if it's a mission target.

You are quite right, I've never gone looking for a specific type of green gas giant, but Isn't that one mapped on the picture posted earlier (I.e. Helium Gas Giant)
I haven't done that either, as I am out exploring. When I come back I will be doing some BGS work.

To find gas giants in a system it is pretty easy and there is no need to scan every planet in the system. Yes it may take a bit longer to find them, but you can still do it easily.

To find gas giants in a system it is pretty easy and there is no need to scan every planet in the system. Yes it may take a bit longer to find them, but you can still do it easily.
What You are failing to understand it's not about finding single bodies but systems. Oddities, irregularities and extraordinary views. Something that's very unlikely to have been generated by stellar forge to someone else.

What You are failing to understand it's not about finding single bodies but systems. Oddities, irregularities and extraordinary views. Something that's very unlikely to have been generated by stellar forge to someone else.
I do understand that perfectly and like to hunt them out myself. But I prefer to find them using the FSS, seeing these oddities reveal themselves while scanning the system instead of having them given to me on a plate is what I really like about the FSS. Seeing how the system is laid out bit by bit is great.

Discovering it myself is great.

It wouldn't affect my play or game for the old ADS to be installed. I just don't see the need for it. After you have established an orbital plane, go to the system map. Make sure Map is selected, not Orrey. That will show you any planets that might hold your interest. They will all be unexplored, just as with the old ADS. That's what the FSS is for. But at least you know which section of the FSS tuner to go to.

Mostly because the two systems are mutuality exclusive. The old ADS gives you the entire system layout in one honk and all the exploration data that comes with it, people wouldn't bother looking using the new system so why bother developing it.

This does get stated quite a bit, but isn't the case. If you are in a previously tagged system you don't need to enter the FSS Scanner Screen at all, the complete functionality of the old ADS has been retained in the game. Adding the ADS back into the game would allow that same, still existing functionality to work in virgin & partially tagged system too. There is no incompatability.

Here's an example video I recorded to clarify what I mean:

It wouldn't affect my play or game for the old ADS to be installed. I just don't see the need for it.

Thank you, this is all the feedback that is required for the proposal. Would it be useful or not (to the individual posting), would it detract from existing play or not.

I do understand that perfectly and like to hunt them out myself. But I prefer to find them using the FSS, seeing these oddities reveal themselves while scanning the system instead of having them given to me on a plate is what I really like about the FSS. Seeing how the system is laid out bit by bit is great.

Discovering it myself is great.
What i would like You to notice i that this post describes You.
Since the beginning of the thread i wanted to bring to debate a possibility of satisfying everyone. Making compromises. Targeting all parties involved.
Not everyone must like what i'm representing but not everyone does like the way things are now.
For people who did want to find the very best galaxy has to offer(by which i mean is most likely the ultimate goal of each eplorer) they'd have to spend multiple lifetimes to do this.
Going further, say(allow me to introduce a concept one of Commanders i spoke with put forward:
"If you want to find the 1% top shelf, you have to go through (usually) a hundred systems on avg.
Scanning a hundred systems times (thirty to sixty) seconds, is slower and more tedious than honking a hundred. After all, most of the time will be spent scanning blue blobs"

I just don't see the need for it. After you have established an orbital plane, go to the system map. Make sure Map is selected, not Orrey. That will show you any planets that might hold your interest.
No. After establishing orbital plane the system map is black and empty. Only the main star, perhaps the asteroid ring around it, maybe some planets that happen to be close enough to trigger the auto-scan.

No. After establishing orbital plane the system map is black and empty. Only the main star, perhaps the asteroid ring around it, maybe some planets that happen to be close enough to trigger the auto-scan.
The Orrey is blank. The actual Map section looks just like before when scanned with an ADS. Look at what type of map you're looking for. The Orbital section will be blank, yes. The section labeled Map won't be. Unless it is a lone or multiple star by itself. I've honked and jumped and still got paid even though I didn't use the FSS at all. Didn't even look at the system map. I'm not really an explorer, but I still got paid for just establishing the orbital plane.

This does get stated quite a bit, but isn't the case. If you are in a previously tagged system you don't need to enter the FSS Scanner Screen at all, the complete functionality of the old ADS has been retained in the game. Adding the ADS back into the game would allow that same, still existing functionality to work in virgin & partially tagged system too. There is no incompatability.

Here's an example video I recorded to clarify what I mean:

It is not the complete functionality. It only pick up planet/moons that have already been scanned. Go to a system that has only had half the planets scanned, that is all it will pick up. But keep ignoring that fact if you wish.

The Orrey is blank. The actual Map section looks just like before when scanned with an ADS. Look at what type of map you're looking for. The Orbital section will be blank, yes. The section labeled Map won't be. Unless it is a lone or multiple star. I've honked and jumped and still got paid even though I didn't use the FSS at all. Didn't even look at the system map. I'm not really an explorer, but I still got paid for just establishing the orbital plane.
Only if the planets have already been discovered by you or someone else they will show up in the system map. When out in the black in virgin systems, the system map is blank.

Getting paid is not what people are moaning about.

It is not the complete functionality. It only pick up planet/moons that have already been scanned. Go to a system that has only had half the planets scanned, that is all it will pick up. But keep ignoring that fact if you wish.

You accurately describe the reason for this proposal.

What i would like You to notice i that this post describes You.
Since the beginning of the thread i wanted to bring to debate a possibility of satisfying everyone. Making compromises. Targeting all parties involved.
Not everyone must like what i'm representing but not everyone does like the way things are now.
For people who did want to find the very best galaxy has to offer(by which i mean is most likely the ultimate goal of each eplorer) they'd have to spend multiple lifetimes to do this.
Going further, say(allow me to introduce a concept one of Commanders i spoke with put forward:
"If you want to find the 1% top shelf, you have to go through (usually) a hundred systems on avg.
Scanning a hundred systems times (thirty to sixty) seconds, is slower and more tedious than honking a hundred. After all, most of the time will be spent scanning blue blobs"
I all okay if the ADS is put back in as mutually exclusive to the FSS. Having both available at the same time is a no from me.

Only if the planets have already been discovered by you or someone else they will show up in the system map. When out in the black in virgin systems, the system map is blank.

Getting paid is not what people are moaning about.
Oh, sorry. Didn't realize that. Haven't been out far in quite a while and have no desire to go back. But then I'm not an explorer and when I do explore it's for the money. Yeah, I'm a bit (or more than a bit) of a gold digger.

Oh, sorry. Didn't realize that. Haven't been out far in quite a while and have no desire to go back. But then I'm not an explorer and when I do explore it's for the money. Yeah, I'm a bit (or more than a bit) of a gold digger.
Nothing wrong with that. We all play in different ways.

Top Bottom