Amazingly Realistic Immersion Mod

@Old Duck
Hey dude
I noticed you removed the starport haze entry from your mod. That white fog in the starports. It's like a screen overlay. I can't stand it.

If anyone wants to get rid of the haze, add this to the ini file. No other negative effects AFAIA

[StarPortHaze]
Hash=698a0cdaf669a609
Handling=skip
Is it possible to adjust the density of the Haze? Would love to have just a little bit of it.
I no longer use a shader bypass to get rid of station haze, because using the in-game FX settings does a better job at this IMO. Now theoretically I could take the haze shader and reduce the alpha channel, making it much "thinner". Someday I can play with that if there is enough demand.

Wow, two solids days reading through these threads and trying out the files. With hindsight, I should have started at the end and worked backwards!!!
Thanks for sharing - getting rid of space dust is a great step.

@Old Duck,
A huge thank-you for your investigation, documentation and contribution to the experience. This is one of the most importantz tuning threads for both experience and graphics performance. Although I will not be purchasing Odessey as I was an original Mac Backer; as long as the PC version continues; this is a huge contribution, and should be pinned for all Horizons (and Beyond) eternity.
Well done Sir Old Duck!
We salute you! O7

Has anyone figured out which shader is responsible for the stars we see when jump in hyperspace?
I achieve to remove clouds with this code but can't find stars..

[ShaderOverrideHyperspaceCloudsA]
Hash=7e6f3dfd1d817968
Handling=skip

[ShaderOverrideHyperspaceCloudsB]
Hash=c8ae482fdce58501
Handling=skip

[ShaderOverrideHyperspaceCloudsC]
Hash=3353041a15157f6b
Handling=skip

Thanks - got that to work OK.

As a way of thanks: please find attached a little shader fix I have made: you can turn down the brightness of the Orbit Lines by altering the value // < < HERE
1.0 is full
0.0 is nothing

MP

Took your idea and modified it (still experimenting best setting for me in VR)

Code:
o0.w = o0.w/100;  // << orbit lines weaker

Hi @Old Duck, quick query. I was wondering what:

PrototypeLightingBalancesEnabled to 0

...does, as a setting, and why? I am flying a lot of planet surface stuff right now, and I've realised that this setting seems to have the effect of making the surface much brighter compared to setting at 1. Flying online with friends (who don’t use this mod) means that if I have the setting at 0 they complain alot about the level of darkness if I take them to an area I deem to be perfectly visible.

Mostly, I quite like this setting at 0 on a planet surface, except for some situations which makes the planet seem super bright (is it realistic or not? I don't know as I've never been to another planet!)

I know stations and deep space appears much crisper and more realistic with the setting at 0, so query is only really about planet surfaces.

Any enlightenment (no pun intended) much appreciated :)

Last edited:

Code:
  bf970f38d9964439-ps_replace.txt

r0.x = r0.x/5;  // << TWEAK
  // Commenting out the following line stops the sun from "boiling", which is unrealistic in realtime
  r0.xyzw = v1.xyyz * r0.xxxx;
  // r0.xyzw = v1.xyyz; // This line stops animation

Last edited:
Hi @Old Duck, quick query. I was wondering what:

...does, as a setting, and why? I am flying a lot of planet surface stuff right now, and I've realised that this setting seems to have the effect of making the surface much brighter compared to setting at 1. Flying online with friends (who don’t use this mod) means that if I have the setting at 0 they complain alot about the level of darkness if I take them to an area I deem to be perfectly visible.

Mostly, I quite like this setting at 0 on a planet surface, except for some situations which makes the planet seem super bright (is it realistic or not? I don't know as I've never been to another planet!)

I know stations and deep space appears much crisper and more realistic with the setting at 0, so query is only really about planet surfaces.

Any enlightenment (no pun intended) much appreciated :)
It basically (though not entirely) disables the new lighting system, going back to the pre 3.? system. This means that when you are close to a sun, you cannot see most stars, just like it is hard to see stars on a bright moonlit night. As you fly away from the sun, your eyes adjust and stars start filling in. The same effect happens on the dark side of planets, they brighten up as your eyes adjust, but only IF you have ambient light turned on (F4 key). I toggle ambient light depending if there is moon / planet shine or not. A full moon / planet in the night sky will make for a lit terrain, whereas no light source will result in a pitch black terrain, which we can control with the mod's ambient light toggle.

Oh, and this greatly reduces that stupid "skymap tinting" that the new color update gave us.

My biggest worry is that Frontier will remove this setting from Odyssey, forcing us to have "always on" stars and tinting... :(

@Old Duck when you say "F1 = Cycle HUD (4 levels) - hold shift to toggle cockpit lights independent of HUD" - what are the 4 levels, exactly?

i ask because (at least where i am at) level 2 & 3 look the same. is there any way for me to just make it the 3 levels like it used to be? i'm not using any of the shader fixes except the 2 canopy and 3 skybox ones.

i believe it's just this one here:

[KeyForHUD]
key = NO_MODIFIERS F1
type = cycle
$hideHUD = 1,2,3,0
x = 1,0,0,1

--

i tried

$hideHUD = 1,2,0
x = 1,0,1

and

$hideHUD = 1,2,0
x = 1,0,0

but it didn't work :(

--

i just want it all on, holo-panel backgrounds off, and all off the way it used to be back on page 31 or earlier.. i ask because i play in VR and have to hit the F1 key by feel and i'm not seeing a difference between the second and third press of the F1 key.

thanks!!!

Last edited:
  • BLACK Space - That's right, space is now BLACK. The clouds of interstellar dust have been removed. Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how realistic you want space to mirror the night sky you see IRL, this also removes the galactic core and the few distant galaxies normally visible.
I’m sorry to report that scientists have now discovered that space isn’t black after all... maybe frontier had it right. See https://www.npr.org/2020/11/18/936219170/scientists-discover-outer-space-isnt-pitch-black-after-all

That being said, I for one still prefer black space :)

@Old Duck when you say "F1 = Cycle HUD (4 levels) - hold shift to toggle cockpit lights independent of HUD" - what are the 4 levels, exactly?

i ask because (at least where i am at) level 2 & 3 look the same. is there any way for me to just make it the 3 levels like it used to be? i'm not using any of the shader fixes except the 2 canopy and 3 skybox ones.

i believe it's just this one here:

[KeyForHUD]
key = NO_MODIFIERS F1
type = cycle
$hideHUD = 1,2,3,0
x = 1,0,0,1

--

i tried

$hideHUD = 1,2,0
x = 1,0,1

and

$hideHUD = 1,2,0
x = 1,0,0

but it didn't work :(

--

i just want it all on, holo-panel backgrounds off, and all off the way it used to be back on page 31 or earlier.. i ask because i play in VR and have to hit the F1 key by feel and i'm not seeing a difference between the second and third press of the F1 key.

thanks!!!
apparently this works for some reason:

[KeyForHUD]
key = NO_MODIFIERS F1
type = cycle
$hideHUD = 1,3,0

Has anyone figured out which shader is responsible for the stars we see when jump in hyperspace?
I achieve to remove clouds with this code but can't find stars..

Hash=7e6f3dfd1d817968
Handling=skip

Hash=c8ae482fdce58501
Handling=skip

Hash=3353041a15157f6b
Handling=skip
Haven't seen anything to remove the stars, @Monkey Pants found those ones. Maybe they found others since then?
My hyperspace codes are very similar, I just included descriptions for reintroduction later if I wanted to flip on a specific one.

; "StarWars Mode"
;Removes 'whispy cloud' from Hyperspace
Hash=7e6f3dfd1d817968
Handling=skip

;Removes 'fissure cloud' from Hyperspace
Hash=c8ae482fdce58501
Handling=skip

;Removes 'dense cloud & star cluster' from Hyperspace
Hash=3353041a15157f6b
Handling=skip

Technique (just a pointer how it can be done) for creating a slider like behaviour of a F-Key (example 'boost faint stars')
Easy if you want to test/cycle-through a range of values, and maybe later decide on the sweet spot value. Or keep the slider.

May I bother you for an update to this technique? I can't seem to get it to work, no matter how hard I try.
Is this the same code you've used to make this video:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKjDA_3ySNE
?

EDIT: NVM, figured it out somehow. there were some issues with my float4 d3dx = IniParams.Load(0); syntax and I didn't check the d3d11_log.txt for errors.

EDIT2: Also, for anyone who plans to tweak their background stars: there is a ton of discussion on the internet (including this thread) that basically says to increase <StarInstanceCount> from 4k (default at Ultra) to 10k or some sort. I was very confused when I tried several close values (4k..60k) and saw no discernable difference. It turns out that the value in question really kicks in when closer to 1m value. This makes the map near the core unusable barely usable.

Last edited:
May I bother you for an update to this technique? I can't seem to get it to work, no matter how hard I try.
Is this the same code you've used to make this video:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKjDA_3ySNE
?

EDIT: NVM, figured it out somehow. there were some issues with my
Code:
float4 d3dx = IniParams.Load(0);
syntax and I didn't check the d3d11_log.txt for errors.
(y):)

Similar technique in https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/amazingly-realistic-immersion-mod.535240/page-49#post-8797550
Boiling Sun in 40 steps

Code:
in d3dx.ini

[CommandListToggleF3]
$showF3 = 1 - $showF3
x = x + 1
if x > 40
  x = 0
endif

in bf970f38d9964439-ps_replace.txt

// r0.x = r0.x * d3dx.x/4;  // << TWEAK
  r0.x = r0.x/5;  // << TWEAK
  // Commenting out the following line stops the sun from "boiling", which is unrealistic in realtime
  r0.xyzw = v1.xyyz * r0.xxxx;
  // r0.xyzw = v1.xyyz; // This line stops animation

Where I settled for r0.x = r0.x/5; // << TWEAK

As much as I like the effort put in, this thread is faaar too clogged up with dozens of users posting their personalized modifications. I don't want to have to scroll through 50 pages trying to get every single modification everyone has posted.

Thank you everyone for doing the hard work here.
I wish these tweaks were available out of the box in ELITE itself.

I tried the mod out, but at some point I got so lost in tweaks and re-tweaks to the point of my lightning getting bugged, so I just reverted back to vanilla.
I'll be returning in a couple months maybe

BTW thank you for HUD modification tutorial. I'm using my blue color scheme all the time

I wish these tweaks were available out of the box in ELITE itself.
For just about every tweak I've done for myself using this mod, I first begged Frontier to implement in the game, multiple times. Of course my requests fell on deaf ears, so...

iu

Last edited:

@Old Duck thanks for previous reply. Is there any way to toggle this setting in-game, perchance? I realise it’s in the graphicsconfig.xml and not the 3dx.ini. But, when flying sometimes the mod makes the planet super bright and the ship by contrast super dark. Thanks :)

CA0F6728-C2C1-40B2-B4CA-D4787D218516.jpeg

This is what the other guy sees looking back at me on Vanilla settings:

F451B2B5-30FB-4F62-80AD-D5956A1F727A.jpeg

Last edited:
@Old Duck thanks for previous reply. Is there any way to toggle this setting in-game, perchance? I realise it’s in the graphicsconfig.xml and not the 3dx.ini. But, when flying sometimes the mod makes the planet super bright and the ship by contrast super dark. Thanks :)

View attachment 197853

This is what the other guy sees looking back at me on Vanilla settings:

View attachment 197854
Try the F4 key to toggle ambient lighting, which should fix the "your ship is too dark on planet surfaces and rings" effect.

Yep, that worked perfectly, thank you. Sort of embarrassed I didn’t try that myself actually as I know that toggle exists. Just never used it or thought to. Cheers @Old Duck

Top Bottom