An Elite Trader way too fast?

Lestat

Banned
Started from a new game. Minor combat until I had a barebone Cobra MKIII and some extra credits. Went to Kolage and started mining Void Opal. First I started on a not so Max out Cobra MKIII So the first run was around 2 million and made Dealer. The second Mining trip I made over 51 Million credits and made Broker upgraded to a Python which I made around 360 Million each run so hit Tycoon in no time. And 2 runs later I was Elite Trader.

Note When I started Mining the rule I went by Keep mining until my cargo hold was full. If you stop you have to deal with Pirates.

Last edited:
Yeah the game isn't what it used to be. I've seen a surprising number of Novice rated players with Cutters and Corvettes (same players with both). Thing is, these players are often outfitted for combat, not cargo hauling, so it's not like they are Novice because they don't do combat, but rather because they were literally able to afford in a couple of weeks what took me over a year to earn.

On the other hand, might be fun to test their metal. I think griefers should start hunting these "Daddy gave me everything on a silver plate" players instead of the poor folk still in Sidewinders. After all, consider the salt when they lose that Cutter because they still don't know how to fly!

Yikes, I'm starting to think like a griefer! :eek:

I think you make a good point. The ideal solution would probably be to re-define how the trade Elite career is measured rather than to change mining, it does seem rather popular & I'm not against allowing newer players to catch up to the more established ones in terms of assets if not experience.

Lestat

Banned
Well, all I needed was around 650+ cargo of Void Opal. Selling at a Station or Small station for 1,650,000 credits. x 650 void opal which was 1,072,500,000 That over Elite Trading goal of 1,050,000,000. Mining Opal might take time. But I did it less than a day. Note I did use third-party websites and some of the trips were around 10 to 20 jumps.

I think you make a good point. The ideal solution would probably be to re-define how the trade Elite career is measured rather than to change mining, it does seem rather popular & I'm not against allowing newer players to catch up to the more established ones in terms of assets if not experience.
I think it best to let Frontier look at the issue and fix it.

Last edited:
This all makes me wonder if FD are allowing this, because in 2020 we're getting a redesigned Elite called Elite: Deadly or something, and we have to start a new commander anyway, so it means more people get to see more of the current assets before things are changed around...

This all makes me wonder if FD are allowing this, because in 2020 we're getting a redesigned Elite called Elite: Deadly or something, and we have to start a new commander anyway, so it means more people get to see more of the current assets before things are changed around...

:eek: I can hear the demands for recompense and the reinstatement of entire fleets already!
.......sounds exciting to me

I was slowly, and deliberately, edging towards Elite trading in order to keep in step with my combat status, but then I did some void opal mining and became Elite almost instantly :rolleyes:

Erm, source for this?

Good point about the money. I hadn't played for ages and had reset my commander, came back and within a few mining trips I went from affording an Asp to affording anything I wanted. Mind you there seemed to be big money schemes in the past that I never paid much attention to.

Yep, everything is ridiculously easy now. On the other hand the daily whine posts about how everything's a grind have also disappeared. 😂

Said a similar thing when I started my alt-account a couple of months ago.

Literally, the most laborious part of the process of going from newbie to Elite (in trade, at least) was earning the first couple of million credits in a sidey... and that took about 2 hours (IIRC).

Launch Sidey. (0 hours)
Take missions paying up to Cr200k each.
Earnings: ~Cr3m. (2 hours)
Buy Mining Cobra.
Go mining.
Earnings: ~Cr15m. (2 hours 10 minutes).
Buy AspX and swap mining kit across.
Go mining.
Earnings: ~Cr100m (4 hours)
Buy Krait.
Go mining.
Earnings: >Cr1bn (14 hours)
Hello Elite and SD access.

Must admit, I took a "break" in the middle of that in order to go and unlock a couple of engineers 'cos it was bugging me to fly around in vanilla ships but a newbie who wasn't distracted by that could definitely reach Trade Elite (and set themselves up with a heap of credits) in well under 20 hours - and it's not like mining is a "hidden exploit" that only a veteran player could know about.

If it was me, I'd probably set Trade Elite at, say, Cr10bn instead of Cr1bn, given the current ability to earn credits.

I'm yet again agreeing with the mid-life-crisis mallard (used to be known as old duck - now denying his age) noob-vette and exploit-cutter hunting could be a new sport, wonder if there are any forum trophies for such "conquests"?

To be pedantic, you dont' find a lot of total newbies flying 'vettes and cutters because the owners have to, at least, have some knowledge of how the game works and spend some time doing the stuff that's required to gain the required rank.
Annie's flown by "Mostly Harmless" CMDRs, OTOH...

Exploration is similar. First Exploration Elite (main account) took me roughly a year, ish. Un-Engineered AspX.

My alt account (with a little Engineering) took me I think about 2 months. Docked up at Explorer's Anchorage last night, went from 24M Cr to just shy of 300,000,000 and got my Elite status.

Combat is still tough (for me). On my main account I'm now at about 5% Deadly, so I think I may buy an all-multicannon Federal Gunship, if for no other reason than I can name it the Maximus Dakka.

Yeah the game isn't what it used to be. I've seen a surprising number of Novice rated players with Cutters and Corvettes (same players with both). Thing is, these players are often outfitted for combat, not cargo hauling, so it's not like they are Novice because they don't do combat, but rather because they were literally able to afford in a couple of weeks what took me over a year to earn.

On the other hand, might be fun to test their metal. I think griefers should start hunting these "Daddy gave me everything on a silver plate" players instead of the poor folk still in Sidewinders. After all, consider the salt when they lose that Cutter because they still don't know how to fly!

Yikes, I'm starting to think like a griefer! :eek:
Harmless cutter = best kill

Top Bottom