An Enemy worse than the Thargoids

We were worried about an invasion of Thargoids destroying the Bubble, forcing humanity to flee into deep space. We were wrong. A much more powerful, undefeatable enemy has invaded, shutting down entire systems, upsetting economic and political stability, rendering all civilized space (including Colonia) into a chaotic, unstable, dangerous place. This enemy is so power as to be able to not only destroy ships, but even the immortal CMDRs that fly them! This enemy has a name:

The Pilot's Federation

TPF has launched a devastating assault on popular systems throughout the Bubble, using a powerful new weapon - the Fleet Carrier. Entire systems have fallen to this devastating weapon, and many CMDRs have lost their lives, forever trapped in the hereafter, thanks to the overwhelming presence of these powerful, indestructible foes. I myself have fled the Bubble, afraid to return lest I too fall victim to this scourge taking over our galaxy. I'm out here on my own, carving my own new slice of the galaxy in relative peace, but I always have one eye on the galaxy map, fearful that TPF might find me out here and send one or more of these system killers to my new home.

We live in perilous times, my friends, and it's only going to get worse! It's almost enough to wish for our previous enemies to return and challenge this new threat to our existence.. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend." What is the future of the Bubble? Are we all doomed? Only time will tell!

EDIT

Readers seem to be missing the point, there is EMERGENT GAMEPLAY to be had here! That's what I'm doing, making the most of a bad situation by roleplaying an invasion of the Bubble. People have been asking for Thargoids to "burn down the Bubble" since they were introduced. Well, now we have something similar - embrace it!

Last edited:
@Old Duck

You just bought one of the frickin' things, who're you calling the enemy?
I don't own a Fleet Carrier and never will, I know who's side I'm on.
Yeah sorry but there's a whole lot of pot and kettle going on here.
Cylon Basestars destroyed the Twelve Colonies, but that didn't mean the Galactica was "bad" because it too was a capital ship. My fleet carrier has never launched an attack on a popular system in the Bubble, and it never will :p

Y'all seem to be missing the point, there is EMERGENT GAMEPLAY to be had here! That's what I'm doing, making the most of a bad situation by roleplaying an invasion of the Bubble. People have been asking for Thargoids to "burn down the Bubble" since they were introduced. Well, now we have something similar - embrace it!

Cylon Basestars destroyed the Twelve Colonies, but that didn't mean the Galactica was "bad" because it too was a capital ship. My fleet carrier has never launched an attack on a popular system in the Bubble, and it never will :p

That's exactly what a TPF agent would say, especialy with that emoji.
Besides that, Cylons Basestars looked totaly different from the Galactica, your FC is an exact copy of those in the bubble.
For all I know you could be a member of the Club.
You won't fool The Dark Wheel, you won't fool me mister.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Y'all seem to be missing the point, there is EMERGENT GAMEPLAY to be had here! That's what I'm doing, making the most of a bad situation by roleplaying an invasion of the Bubble. People have been asking for Thargoids to "burn down the Bubble" since they were introduced. Well, now we have something similar - embrace it!
It should be in the Roleplay section then, would you like me to move it 😜

What is your plan? Should all carrier owners leave the bubble?
No, I actually kinda like the Bubble being "on fire". Like I said, it's the Thargoid invasion we never got! Let the Bubble burn :p

Though I am going to have to return eventually to build a new ship (none of my explorer ships were built with multicrew in mind), so that will take some interesting navigation to avoid FC infested systems.

Deleted member 182079

D
No, I actually kinda like the Bubble being "on fire". Like I said, it's the Thargoid invasion we never got! Let the Bubble burn :p

Though I am going to have to return eventually to build a new ship (none of my explorer ships were built with multicrew in mind), so that will take some interesting navigation to avoid FC infested systems.
You could argue it's more player hardware that's (not literally) on fire, with CTDs et al, as opposed to the bubble.

I wonder to what extent this week's patch will impact the gatherings around the hotspots - I suppose they'll still be more lucrative vs regular ones... so probably not by much.

Ok, so embrace the burn is the plan. In that case, we need even more carriers to spread and envelop more systems. Sort of like that 1950s monster movie, "The Blob"?

I wonder to what extent this week's patch will impact the gatherings around the hotspots - I suppose they'll still be more lucrative vs regular ones... so probably not by much.
But it's not just hotspots, it's engineering systems, Tritium trade routes, LTD high-sell systems, etc.

Now me personally, I've not experienced any of these problems people are reporting, not even in systems with the max number of fleet carriers. But I left the Bubble before these problems became widely reported, so something must have changed after I left. I really am holding off my return (by normal ship, the FC will stay out in deep space) until the bugs are fixed, as I don't want to "die" thanks to being stuck in a CTD system. The roleplay helps make this "fun" rather than "I'm so mad about this bug!"

And no, there is NO way to roleplay elephant butt leather, so don't go there!

Deleted member 182079

D
But it's not just hotspots, it's engineering systems, Tritium trade routes, LTD high-sell systems, etc.

Now me personally, I've not experienced any of these problems people are reporting, not even in systems with the max number of fleet carriers. But I left the Bubble before these problems became widely reported, so something must have changed after I left. I really am holding off my return (by normal ship, the FC will stay out in deep space) until the bugs are fixed, as I don't want to "die" thanks to being stuck in a CTD system. The roleplay helps make this "fun" rather than "I'm so mad about this bug!"

And no, there is NO way to roleplay elephant butt leather, so don't go there!
I haven't had any issues in the engineering systems, and as far as I remember even in New Borann things went pretty smooth. The one place even my PC started to chug massively was pulling up the system map in one of the high LTD selling systems, in the Pleiades. My theory is that NHSS combined with FCs and lots of visitors brought the game to its limits.

Could also be hardware related, I don't see any lag in busy systems (apart from entering the instance, and that's nothing new anyways where there's lots of player traffic) as my current PC is pretty beefy, but on my laptop previously I would notice it more.

That's not to say that I'm not avoiding busy systems - primarily the 3LTD ones and selling locations - simply because I have no desire to min-max mining right now, and have reached my fill of PvP piracy for now. I have enough credits without going hungry, and want to enjoy the game itself rather than the hamster wheel attached to it.

I might even go on an extended trip into the black, although I think I might get bored because I do like my combat/mission running in populated areas from time to time. But I've discovered that CQC is a great fix for my combat needs (and it works very well, no waiting times at all, very slick experience), and is more fun and intense than mindlessly whacking NPCs.

I will never foget the Sidewinder I was given by TPF long time ago and therefore won't tolerate such hurtful allegations towards our common patron. Your betrayal will earn you nothing but a demotion to low-level NPC. Before long your only words will be "And don't forget, this ship is in the top 1% of all cruise liners out there."

I will never foget the Sidewinder I was given by TPF long time ago and therefore won't tolerate such hurtful allegations towards our common patron. Your betrayal will earn you nothing but a demotion to low-level NPC. Before long your only words will be "And don't forget, this ship is in the top 1% of all cruise liners out there."

Yeah but they’re capitalist pigs because they even turned the crash site of their great hero, Jameson, into a tourist hotspot and a place to plunder. Nothing is sacred to them so save your reverence for something that actually has feelings.

Top Bottom