An epic failure, the size of the Milky Way Galaxy.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
And to make the game open, since it is, after all, an MMO game.🤷‍♂️
Elite is NOT an MMO. never was and never will be. Fdev intentionally chose the cheaper route of P2P networking as opposed to client/server architecture.
name one MMO that has a solo play mode?? none!

elite is a co-op game at best, single player at most. with it's prehistoric network code and broken instancing , it's even hard to argue that it is a multiplayer game, but I guess technically speaking it is. But is it an MMO? absolutely not!

I am pretty sure Odyssey beats cyberpunk as the worst released title in gaming history.
Also, as of today, the Steam reviews for Cyberpunk is "mostly positive" while this abomination is still mostly negative.

Cyberpunk has had an extra few months to fix its stuff and therefore pick up more positive reviews. Also, the total balls-up was on the console versions, and Steam is PC sales.

And let's face it, Odyssey is nowhere near the worst release disaster in gaming history. It's probably not even as bad as Fallout 76. In many cases, these disasters are not well remembered because the game was eventually fixed to the point that the mark of shame was all but erased, and some of them are not well remembered because it was such a catastrophe it pretty much killed the game stone dead. That includes some famous titles: think how famous the Ultima series was, and contemplate the utter failure of Ultima 9.

And let's face it, there's the legendary 1982 disaster of E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, if we ever need to put worst released title into perspective.

Elite is NOT an MMO. never was and never will be. Fdev intentionally chose the cheaper route of P2P networking as opposed to client/server architecture.
name one MMO that has a solo play mode?? none!

elite is a co-op game at best, single player at most. with it's prehistoric network code and broken instancing , it's even hard to argue that it is a multiplayer game, but I guess technically speaking it is. But is it an MMO? absolutely not!
Then there is no need for such loud words in the STEAM store. And don't cheat buyers.

Attachments

• Снимок.PNG
    Снимок.PNG
    23 KB · Views: 29
You'd think if fdev were evil mnoney grabbers they'd be trying to avoid putting out stuff that people then refund. Or else people don't have a clue what they're talking about ... who can tell ;)
Steam seems to be doing a good job of keeping these at bay, due to "amount of hours the base DLC was played". FDev is clean, bad steam, right? :p Some people here even contacted FDev and were turned down, some seem to have success... it seems to be governed by chance.

I am pretty sure Odyssey beats cyberpunk as the worst released title in gaming history.
Also, as of today, the Steam reviews for Cyberpunk is "mostly positive" while this abomination is still mostly negative.
Apart from the one's that did try to release that had to be pushed back, let's not forget.
Also, "fixed" is not where odyssey is right now so not relative.
ED has recovered before so we will see, but way too early.

Cyberpunk has had an extra few months to fix its stuff and therefore pick up more positive reviews. Also, the total balls-up was on the console versions, and Steam is PC sales.

And let's face it, Odyssey is nowhere near the worst release disaster in gaming history. It's probably not even as bad as Fallout 76. In many cases, these disasters are not well remembered because the game was eventually fixed to the point that the mark of shame was all but erased, and some of them are not well remembered because it was such a catastrophe it pretty much killed the game stone dead. That includes some famous titles: think how famous the Ultima series was, and contemplate the utter failure of Ultima 9.

And let's face it, there's the legendary 1982 disaster of E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, if we ever need to put worst released title into perspective.
I agree. I should have been more specific and maybe stated "space themed gaming history" :)

however, if compared to Cyberpunk, I think both suffered from the same issue - putting the interest of the shareholders before the players and releasing an unfinished mess. However, cyberpunk recovered relatively quickly and also it wasn't AS broken as Odyssey on release. There were bugs but it was still very playable. Odyssey is not playable for a large chunk of the player base and the part that is playable is just meh.
imo, Odyssey doesn't feel like an AAA title. Cyberpunk does.

I agree. I should have been more specific and maybe stated "space themed gaming history" :)

however, if compared to Cyberpunk, I think both suffered from the same issue - putting the interest of the shareholders before the players and releasing an unfinished mess. However, cyberpunk recovered relatively quickly and also it wasn't AS broken as Odyssey on release. There were bugs but it was still very playable. Odyssey is not playable for a large chunk of the player base and the part that is playable is just meh.
imo, Odyssey doesn't feel like an AAA title. Cyberpunk does.

I have no idea what sort of issues go around in terms of keeping shareholders happy. I am not convinced that most shareholders prefer 100k sales before the end of financial year at the cost of damaging a viable product's reputation. I suspect bigger problems might be that staff need to move to a new project (otherwise that gets delayed too), and that financial commitments are made relating to the release or project completion such that costs if the deadline is missed might become alarmingly high (marketing budgets wasted, possibly publisher "fines", important short-/fixed-term staff who need additional pay or become unavailable because they've already made new plans, etc.)

The same probably applies to Cyberpunk. The publisher has a series of release dates with marketing and production teams that move from one release to the next, and they spend a lot of money preparing and rolling everything out. If after a certain point a developer asks for another four months, it potentially costs the publisher millions, even tens of millions, and a much organisational chaos. We might understand why the publisher refuses to give them that time.

Speaking as someone employed in what is currently a seriously under-resourced workplace, I understand that sometimes practical realities mean an organisation just needs to get something out there even if they know it's not the quality they want - because that's the position I've been in this year. But the alternative is worse. It is because of this I think some of the accusations about Frontier's lack of professional duty or contempt for players may be seriously misplaced. Something's obviously gone awry and whilst they need to get on and fix it and mollify the understandable disappointment and frustration, I think some of the vitriol and wilder accusations from the community are excessive.

I have no idea what sort of issues go around in terms of keeping shareholders happy. I am not convinced that most shareholders prefer 100k sales before the end of financial year at the cost of damaging a viable product's reputation. I suspect bigger problems might be that staff need to move to a new project (otherwise that gets delayed too), and that financial commitments are made relating to the release or project completion such that costs if the deadline is missed might become alarmingly high (marketing budgets wasted, possibly publisher "fines", important short-/fixed-term staff who need additional pay or become unavailable because they've already made new plans, etc.)

The same probably applies to Cyberpunk. The publisher has a series of release dates with marketing and production teams that move from one release to the next, and they spend a lot of money preparing and rolling everything out. If after a certain point a developer asks for another four months, it potentially costs the publisher millions, even tens of millions, and a much organisational chaos. We might understand why the publisher refuses to give them that time.

Speaking as someone employed in what is currently a seriously under-resourced workplace, I understand that sometimes practical realities mean an organisation just needs to get something out there even if they know it's not the quality they want - because that's the position I've been in this year. But the alternative is worse. It is because of this I think some of the accusations about Frontier's lack of professional duty or contempt for players may be seriously misplaced. Something's obviously gone awry and whilst they need to get on and fix it and mollify the understandable disappointment and frustration, I think some of the vitriol and wilder accusations from the community are excessive.
That that is so, but isn't it a developer's problem? Why did he allow this?

I fully support. Why should players suffer for their money? There have already been 4 updates, in which so many beautiful words are written ... But in fact, they added more bugs. At the moment, for example, you cannot fly on the same ship as a command, it is just an out of sync. still the same low fps, we can say that the slideshow. The leg missions are all monotonous and boring. No missions per command. The system map is displayed incorrectly, it is not clear on the planet where the day is and where the night is ... And there are many many more problems.

Errr, I bought Frontier : First Encounters when it first came out in around 1995. The installer program on the CD was buggy and so you couldn't install the game direct off the CD. True story.

And this was a long time before patches were easily available. I usually got them from PC Mags' CDs.

I fully support. Why should players suffer for their money? There have already been 4 updates, in which so many beautiful words are written ... But in fact, they added more bugs. At the moment, for example, you cannot fly on the same ship as a command, it is just an out of sync. still the same low fps, we can say that the slideshow. The leg missions are all monotonous and boring. No missions per command. The system map is displayed incorrectly, it is not clear on the planet where the day is and where the night is ... And there are many many more problems.

Because Frontier is a company, and therefore exists to make money. No money, no company. If it puts player satisfaction ahead of making money, it goes bust and never makes another game ever again. But it does care about player satisfaction, because it makes a lot less money without player satisfaction.

You have every right to be dissatisfied - but the world is full of such dissatisfaction. People buy cars that break down after two years when they should last ten. T-shirts that lose their colour after a few washes. Degrees that turn out to be useless at getting them a decent job. Books that are badly written, restaurant meals that don't taste good. Sub-par products are everywhere. And at least EDO is long-term fixable at no further cost to you, which is more than can be said of many duff products you'll buy.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom