Answers from the Devs 15/10/15

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

Zac Antonaci

Head of Communications
Frontier
Hey guys,

It’s been a couple of weeks since our last “Answers from the devs” thread. So we’ve compiled a new list, sent them over to the team and got the following answers for you. :)

As always if you have any burning questions post them below and we’ll compile a new thread soon. :)

==

How many of the 30 ships are in the game currently? Any news on what the final ones to be announced are?

Here’s a list of the ships we’ve announced so far, and as an extra treat we’ve added the names of the five ships coming as part of Elite Dangerous 1.5. Remember, these are just the ship names, and we’ll be revealing loads of exciting details about them in the coming weeks.

1 Sidewinder
2 Eagle
3 Hauler
4 Adder
5 Imperial Eagle
6 Viper
7 Cobra MK III
8 Diamondback Scout
9 Lakon Type 6
10 Diamondback Explorer
11 Imperial Courier
12 Vulture
13 Asp Explorer
14 Federal Dropship
15 Lakon Type 7
16 Federal Assault Ship
17 Imperial Clipper
18 Federal Gunship
19 Orca
20 Fer-De-Lance
21 Python
22 Lakon Type 9
23 Anaconda
24 F63 Condor (CQC only)

And to come:

25 Imperial Short Range Fighter (CQC only)
26 Lakon Keelback
27 Viper MK IV
28 Asp Scout
29 Federal Corvette
30 Imperial Cutter
31 Cobra MK IV (for owners of Season 1 and Season 2)

==

What is the minimum spec for Horizons?

We don’t have a final minimum spec just yet because we’re still working on the optimization. We’re hopeful it won’t be significantly different from the current game. However it will require a PC that supports Direct X11 as Horizons uses compute shaders.

==

What are the technical issues with Oculus, is this a move towards exclusivity for VR platforms?

We now support both Oculus Rift (via the 0.5 SDK) and SteamVR/Vive. Because of some changes to the Oculus SDK, we are working closely with Oculus to support a later SDK, but we cannot use 0.7.

==

If I reset my commander data, what happens to my friends list?

Absolutely nothing, your friends list is tied to your account. If you want to reset back to zero and start with a clean slate then more power to you! Good luck Commander.

==

Will there be more decals in the store?

There will be more decals coming to the store and we are looking at new and interesting ways to use them in the future with Elite Dangerous, and I think you’ll be excited when you see what we have planned.

==

When are you going to release paint jobs for the Diamondback Explorer?

Paint jobs for the Diamond Explorer, and many of the other ships in the catalogue, will be coming to the Frontier store soon!

==

Can we get an update on the Mac version of Horizons?

Unfortunately neither Open GL nor Metal on Mac support Compute Shaders and these are vital for Elite Dangerous: Horizons. We have investigated the issue at length and found that all other options currently simply won’t allow us the performance that a game of this size and detail needs. Once Macs are able to support compute shaders, or other technical options are available, we will certainly be keen on supporting that platform.

==

How much cargo will an SRV hold?

The Scarab SRV will be able to hold two units of cargo, however on the planet surface there are other things to do and collect which may not require much storage. More information on that… soon. ;)

==

Do you think that having the ability to have a ship delivered to a station of my choosing would be possible in the future?

This is something on our radar and is something we’re keen to implement in the game as part of a future update, but we have nothing to announce on that at the moment.

==

Are there any plans to improve the navigation system and add functionality to it?

Every aspect of Elite Dangerous will be continually iterated on and improved… The navigation system is no exception.

==

Will landing on planets give you more exploration data?

Landing on planets will eventually net you more exploration data. This isn’t something that will appear at launch in Elite Dangerous: Horizons though but there are new things to discover on the surface and a new way to find them. More on this coming soon!

==

If you are in orbital cruise, can you accidentally crash into the planet by entering too steep?

If you’re flying straight at the ground and you decide not to pull up as you approach the planet surface, you will most certainly crash!

==

What's the plan on making your CQC tournament a cool viewing experience?

We have something very special planned for the CQC tournament that everybody will be able to get involved in. We’re continuing to develop CQC and spectators are certainly something we are keeping in mind. We’ll have the full details soon, but make sure you get practicing your CQC skills right away!

==

Is it going to be a possibility of getting the lifetime pass released again?

It’s not available at the moment, but the lifetime could return to the Frontier Store again at some point in the future. :)

==

Will skimmers be able to be piloted/controlled by players, or just NPC's?

At the launch of Elite Dangerous: Horizons, the Skimmers will be NPC-controlled assailants – challenging and varied opponents to take on as you explore the planet’s surface. We’re looking in to the possibility of making them pilot able as part of a future update but we can’t promise anything at this time.

"Every aspect of Elite Dangerous will be continually iterated on and improved… The navigation system is no exception. "

​The orrery view confirmed !!!

Last edited:
Hi Zac

I believe there are a few people interested in how the interdiction mini game / mechanic works, particularly in relation to things such as whether throttle setting and size and class of interdictor module have an influence on the potential outcome. Would be very interesting to have that explained.

Zac Antonaci

Head of Communications
Frontier
Hi Zac

I believe there are a few people interested in how the interdiction mini game / mechanic works, particularly in relation to things such as whether throttle setting and size and class of interdictor module have an influence on the potential outcome. Would be very interesting to have that explained.

Edit: This is in todays Dev update...

"We are currently working on a client update for PC/Mac and Xbox One, all being well these will be released next week. As well as various fixes we’re adjusting the NPC interdiction so it isn’t quite as punishing as it is at the moment."

Last edited:
Will the "first landed on" credit be there at launch? if I cant get any additional exploration data I at least would like to get my name on a planet as first discovered & first explored & first landed on!

Last edited:
It's a shame that we won't see the Panther Clipper. Am wondering if the new Lakon ship will be a large freighter.

Last edited:
Hmm the Panther was already in the pipeline, maybe that is for ED:H?

Anyways Lakon Keelback? never heard of it, interesting new ship, new shiny ....

I'm not sure what to make of the announcement that shaders are a requirement for horizons, but not the game as it stands from release to now, therefor tough luck to any open source (openGL) or Mac platform.
If I were a betting man, I'd say this was deliberate to force MS only play.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom