Answers from the Devs #3

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

Brett C

Frontier
Hi everyone,

Over the past two weeks, we've put up "Answers from the devs" discussions, which looked at some of your commonly asked questions. We asked you on the thread to tell us what else you would like to ask, and we would be sure to follow up.

Without further delay, here is our third week of "Answers from the devs"! As always, if you have questions that you would like answered, reply to this thread and we shall get another list compiled shortly!

Can you go into more detail about how ranking progression works?

Combat ranking. As mentioned last week: 'Combat is based on the number of kills, but the points you get for each kill are based on the combat rank of the target relative to your combat rank so if you are harmless and kill an Elite ship you will get a large number of points where as if you are Deadly and kill a ship below Expert you will not get any.'

See the chart for a visual explanation of how rank progression works:
View attachment 52940

The number relates to the amount of points you get towards your combat ranking based on the ranking of the opponent you're up against.

Powerplay Merit decay: At the start of the new Powerplay cycle the merits you accrued in the previous week are halved. The merits are stored in a ‘bucket’ and after the fourth week they are removed entirely. See the chart below for a visual explanation:
View attachment 52941

Will CQC outposts and general areas be added into the general game world?
We intend to use the technology developed for CQC arenas to add interesting locations around the galaxy.

When will more ships be added?
We have three new ships coming in the CQC update (not including the CQC variants for CQC itself). More ships will be coming after then as well.

Since it looks like CQC will use P2P also, how are you going to detect cheaters that just give themselves a slight edge, say 33% more energy for shields?
As with the main game, tackling cheats is an ongoing process. We can use the mechanisms we already have for detecting client side hacks and will continue to develop more checks.

Are there items in game that the community hasn't found yet?
I don’t think so, however they have not unravelled the mysteries surrounding them all yet, and there will be evolutions coming in the CQC update and beyond.

Is increasing the risk reward balance of black market goods something you would like to see happen?
We're always looking at developing player roles in the game and this is something we have looked into for smuggling. There are no immediate plans to change this, but it will be re-evaluated as we get more levers in the game with which to balance player activities.

Are there any plans to revamp exploration in general?
Not a revamp as the core system is solid, however we do intend to provide more things for explorers to encounter.

Why do some NPCs spam the same message over and over, or loop through the same strings of text, time and time again?
There’s a known issue that will be fixed in the CQC update for certain situations spamming repeated messages. We'll also be expanding the variety of messages available to reduce repetition.

Do you have any changes you would like to see the economy take in the future? For example making it more supply and demand based rather a delayed update?
Yes there are some long term changes we'd like to make for the economy. One of my favourites is to be able to affect the production of specific goods in a targeted market. It's not planned anytime soon, but it’s on my wish list.

Is the networking being improved for the release of CQC?
Networking is a core aspect to the game’s technology so it is constantly being worked on. We have some fixes currently in the pipeline, too.

If you could take one screen capture of the Elite: Dangerous world and show it to someone that never has played the game before, where would it be, why the significance, and how would you explain it?
Answer from Michael Brookes - The galaxy map at full display or the view from one of the extragalactic clusters – the recreation of the galaxy is something very special.

Last edited by a moderator:
No persistent NPC question answered, but I will take it as sign you are not ready to talk about it yet ;) But didn't expect to have dev questions answered prior Gamescom, so THANK YOU!

Zac Antonaci

Head of Communications
Frontier
No persistent NPC question answered, but I will take it as sign you are not ready to talk about it yet ;) But didn't expect to have dev questions answered prior Gamescom, so THANK YOU!

Ask it again, might come up in the next one. Sorry, just lots of questions to ask. :)

Won't be one till after Gamescom now. :)

Last edited:
Hi devs, as a player who prefers/chooses to use keyboard/mouse here is my question:

Will you ever add the ability to bind a key that toggles relative mouse mode on/off regarding the x/y axis?

If you added this feature I would finally be able to toggle between fa on/off with the controls working as
I wish.

Thanks.

Not a revamp as the core system is solid, however we do intend to provide more things for explorers to encounter.

I really hope this is a sick joke of some kind. The current exploration system is absolutely awful, barely interactive garbage. Hopefully the planetary landings (which I'm pretty sure are what's getting announced at Gamescom) will include new mechanics, because the current crop of 'point at thing for 10 seconds' exploration mechanics is insultingly bad.

I believe the questions surrounding rankings were to do with the apparent awful grind of naval rank progression currently. An answer to that would be appreciated, thanks :)

Seriously? I have a brick sitting in the garden that's very solid. It's not particularly interesting to play with though. There is so much more that could be done to develop the exploration mechanics. It's very disappointing to hear that "more things to encounter" is all we're going to get.

Seriously? I have a brick sitting in the garden that's very solid. It's not particularly interesting to play with though. There is so much more that could be done to develop the exploration mechanics. It's very disappointing to hear that "more things to encounter" is all we're going to get.

Revamp is not exactly 'adding new things and mechanics", is it.

Revamp is not exactly 'adding new things and mechanics", is it.

For once I agree with Pecisk here ;)

The word "revamp" was probably the wrong one to use. Now if only you'd asked something like "Are there any plans to make Exploration vastly more interesting as an in-game role?"

To wit; I hereby ask Zac : Are there any plans to make Exploration vastly more interesting as an in-game role?

;)

Last edited:
I really hope this is a sick joke of some kind. The current exploration system is absolutely awful, barely interactive garbage. Hopefully the planetary landings (which I'm pretty sure are what's getting announced at Gamescom) will include new mechanics, because the current crop of 'point at thing for 10 seconds' exploration mechanics is insultingly bad.

what else would you expect other than encountering more things as they said? Like a signal on a planet that you can go down and investigate once we have PLandings, or something like a USS that shows up after your discovery scanenr honk that contains a wreck that you can get salvage from? The core ssytem doesn't need to change for these sorts of additional dsicoveries, does it?

Well they're hardly going to tell you what you're getting for Xmas before you open your present are they now? :p

Will CQC outposts and general areas be added into the general game world?
We intend to use the technology developed for CQC arenas to add interesting locations around the galaxy.

Are there items in game that the community hasn't found yet?
I don’t think so, however they have not unravelled the mysteries surrounding them all yet, and there will be evolutions coming in the CQC update and beyond.

Wow! Nice news.

I hope those interesting places will have some function as well, like rares to be found, npcs to hunt around them or related to missions, exploration, etc. So nice to see anyway, that the galaxy is getting extra objects, places. Let's fill it up with explorable, playable mysteries, wonders and history. :)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom