Anyone else hunting for new US/Thargoid sites? Added candidate sites

Any news?

Nope, for the first time in over two years I lost interest and went to fight monsters with Geralt. I think after spending 31 weeks in my ship it is time for a break. On top of that I love taking photos and because the visuals will change in Beyond, so maybe I will wait for that.

Last week I did move to HIP 16107, because the candidate there has geysers so I thought it will be more interesting, did not find anything after few hours.

Came across Mel 22 Sector HH-V d2-18 today. It had a previously unknown to EDSM Ammonia world orbiting the star that was over 300k ls out. Has several bodies below Thargoid Site temps as well. Might be worth a peek around if anyone else is still looking for new sites. The system is only 112ly or so out from Merope and is also on the side of the "hole" in the known sites from what I can tell...

Came across Mel 22 Sector HH-V d2-18 today. It had a previously unknown to EDSM Ammonia world orbiting the star that was over 300k ls out. Has several bodies below Thargoid Site temps as well. Might be worth a peek around if anyone else is still looking for new sites. The system is only 112ly or so out from Merope and is also on the side of the "hole" in the known sites from what I can tell...
It does indeed look like an ideal candidate system, thanks for the report :cool:, I see you scanned all B,C & D bodies, a very thorough scan!

It's also most likely candidate that the candidate body is a single moon! :) Which is Mel 22 Sector HH-V d2-18 A 6a.
Very tempted to break off my NHSS mapping mission & scan this 1 myself. It is a big 1 at 1533km!

Baton
Sorry I forgot to ask, did you search the entire surface of HIP 16107 4a? (with a 650 km radius & you searched for a 'a few hrs' I would think that's a yes, but I want to be certain :)).

[update]
Incase anyone decides to search this system before I come back to it, I've already searched at an altitude of 250 km, longitude -25, 10*, 40 & 70. I searched from pole to pole on the 1st 2 steps, then from within visible range of the poles (30 deg lat away).
*They're supposed to be all 30 deg steps, but I see I miscalculated on the 1st longitude step!
Ok, now searched all bar the gap mentioned above & the terminator @ 100 km - done, & nadda on this moon.

Last edited:
Ive been searching HIP 19761 AB 2A using the amazing ExTool

[video=youtube_share;UefQqhqmRhQ]https://youtu.be/UefQqhqmRhQ[/video]

I was dual screening, Extool on one screen the game on the other. It runs on my phone so I could use it with a single screen if I wanted. Makes it really easy to see where Ive been. Those circles are actually not as big as the area where a Thargoid Surface Site would be visible so there is a bit of overlap.

Dual screen means I can see where I am and where I have been in real time. It also shows me where other commandders

Go check it out

I did look at that before searching Mel 22 Sector HH-V d2-18 A 6a, I had a quick look at the page & decided that for this occasion I'd rather spend the time searching & playing ED than reading that page & installing it, figuring it out etc, also I need to look to see if I have changed any of the key bindings. And I knew I'd be able to search the whole moon in a (relatively) short time so I didn't really need it. But I definitely think it'll be needed for searching much bigger bodies or where searching needs to be done at a much lower altitude! Like searching Merope 5c.

Last edited:
Btw, I'm glad you mentioned you're searching HIP 19761 AB 2A, I had meant to post that was my next target, & I was omw to it to do just that! ;), I'll leave that 1 to you [up].

I'll be heading to HIP 16107 4a instead - now searched, searching 6b next, which I should've done 1st really as I think that maybe the more likely candidate!

Last edited:
Incase anyone else joins in on some searching, me & Louis are searching HIP 16107 6b, so far we've covered longitude lines 90, 115, 140, 155, 180, -155 & -130. Oh & I've SC'ed the terminator at 100 km.

Thanks for joining me Louis :)

Incase anyone else joins in on some searching, me & Louis are searching HIP 16107 6b, so far we've covered longitude lines 90, 115, 140, 155, 180, -155 & -130. Oh & I've SC'ed the terminator at 100 km.

Thanks for joining me Louis :)

No Prob :) I did -105 earlier today, I'll be on later probably.

Cool :), & noted, I'll be back on later, but possibly not until about 5.30 pm.

Ok so in addition to earlier, we've now done longitude lines -35, -10, 15, 40, 65, 90, 115, 140, 155, 180, -155, -130, & -105 on 6b.
Not much left now! Just -60 & an inbetween -82.[update] And done those 2 now too, no new TS :(.

7a next! And I've only just noticed that it's next to a much better ACW (7b) than the other 2! Doh!

Last edited:
Ta :)

I didn't get time to finish it, but I've searched upto long. 25. So just 45 to 85 deg left to do.
There's 1 massively long red canyon on this moon! (not very deep though) co-ords ~60 lat ~5 long, just incase anyone's interested.

7a All searched, including terminator at 100km, nowt found :(.

Last edited:
Why you keep looking for new thargoid surface site ?
They all been found (the last one is in the HIP 22460 system wich is locked)
Each active site give the direction of 3 other sites ....

Why you keep looking for new thargoid surface site ?
They all been found (the last one is in the HIP 22460 system wich is locked)
Each active site give the direction of 3 other sites ....

Not true.

Several sites were found after the "full set" of sites were found, based off the linked signals. Those additional sites had signals leading to already-known sites, or were inactive sites. No signals led to them.

Last edited:
Yep, what he said :), & some new inactive sites were (initially at least) totally isolated, their's also plenty of room for more sites, including further active sites which have no pointers from other sites.
Some of those additional sites linked to new sites (in the last 5 found by tonio).

Btw, if you'd read the op, you would've seen that a further 9 sites had already been found ;).
I will add the above info for clarity though.

Anubis_IV
Good to hear someone's searching atm ;) (I'm in the Cali nebula atm).
What altitude are you searching at?
Re the downed ship, probably a random POI, the easiest way to check that is to log out & back in again, if it's gone it was just a random one.

Last edited:
Yep, what he said :), & some new inactive sites were (initially at least) totally isolated, their's also plenty of room for more sites, including further active sites which have no pointers from other sites.
Some of those additional sites linked to new sites (in the last 5 found by tonio).
Anubis_IV
Good to hear someone's searching atm ;) (I'm in the Cali nebula atm).
What altitude are you searching at?
Re the downed ship, probably a random POI, the easiest way to check that is to log out & back in again, if it's gone it was just a random one.

I've been struggling with searching per the instructions in the OP, so as far as altitude, I try to get as close as possible without dropping out of supercruise, go as slow as possible, then usually hopping in and out of camera suite to look around the surface as it's really hard to see anything out of the Python's cockpit. My AspX would be better suited for this, but it's not tanky enough to survive an encounter with Thargoids when carrying anything that triggers them, as I usually run a Palin mission when I'm in the area. They already blasted me once with no cargo (think I got too close). Sometimes I drop out of supercruise to get closer and scan for a bit. I ended up landing on the trip to snag some arsenic that I needed for a Farseer re-roll, when I came across the POI. Fortunately, I got plenty despite that planet showing low amounts. It's possible that POI was a random. I'll know how to check in the future, thanks. I plan on heading back tonight to check a different system.

Top Bottom