Anyone else hunting for new US/Thargoid sites? Added candidate sites

Is this a good candidate?

Hind Sector HR-W d1-15

Rocky (or rarely, HMC) landable body ................................................. Yes
Have at least 1 Ammonia Containing World in the system ...................... Yes
So far, max 0.42g for site body .......................................................... Yes
Be within 150 LYs of Merope .............................................................. Yes
Temperature range 78-246k .............................................................. Yes

Additionally:-
Very often they are the nearest group of (the above spec) bodies to the ACW...... ACW is orbiting a B star, RLB is orbiting a ringes Gas Giant on the A star
Very probably (96.8% of 221 TSs originally checked) are on a moon .................. Yes
Very probably the ACW to be between 100-200k ............................................. Yes 182K
Very probably the ACW is not a Water World (if it's the only ACW) ..................... Not a WW

Hind Sector HR-W d1-15 3 a
Hind Sector HR-W d1-15 5 a
Hind Sector HR-W d1-15 5 b
Hind Sector HR-W d1-15 6 a

There are three Icy bodies in the area does that make this likely to be a bust?

The nearest TSS is HIP 19665 which is around 33.06ly away so slightly further than average from another TSS

Last edited:

Hind Sector HR-W d1-15

Rocky (or rarely, HMC) landable body ................................................. Yes
Have at least 1 Ammonia Containing World in the system ...................... Yes
So far, max 0.42g for site body .......................................................... Yes
Be within 150 LYs of Merope .............................................................. Yes
Temperature range 78-246k .............................................................. Yes

Very often they are the nearest group of (the above spec) bodies to the ACW...... ACW is orbiting a B star, RLB is orbiting a ringes Gas Giant on the A star
Very probably (96.8% of 221 TSs originally checked) are on a moon .................. Yes
Very probably the ACW to be between 100-200k ............................................. Yes 182K
Very probably the ACW is not a Water World (if it's the only ACW) ..................... Not a WW

The nearest TSS is HIP 19665 which is around 33.06ly away so slightly further than average from another TSS

So the Ammonia in question is a rocky body with Ammonia atmoshpere instead of a stand alone Ammonia World or Gas Giant with Ammonia Based Life? If so I'm not as much of a fan...

I'm not aware of a problem with that, but, that said I haven't checked many of the ACWs to see what type they are.....
Maybe another way to filter systems? I might look into that later. [edit], oh the canonn 3d Thargoid list+map order is still messed up :(, [edit again] oh wait, I can type in the TS site I want ! ;), checking some now)

Hind Sector HR-W d1-15

Looks like a very good candidate system to me! :) (would rep you again if I could).
It doesn't matter if the system contains icy landables, as long as there are suitable Rocky Body Landables.
To refine the list a bit :-
Also 2a & b are weak candidates (close to borderline temps).
6c & d, & 8a-e & ea, 10a & aa, & 10b-e are also good candidates.
Hmm, but I think the mostly likely candidates in that system are ........10a & 8e, followed by 10aa & 8ea..... I think, still so many unknown variables! ;) (e.g does position trump a better temperature? I think so......)

(Btw the ACW is 158k ;), better still! & their is no B star, it (they) have been counted as planets).

Last edited:
Well it seems bagofholding is on to something, I've only checked the 1st 30 TS sites listed, but not 1 has a RB ACW only, so at least it seems (so far) that they have a strong preference for systems with ACWs which are GGs or AWs. I'm making a list in the op spoiler (which I'll update as I check more of them, another day). I'll post the 1st 30 here but I won't update it.

I know for a fact though that they won't always turn up their noses to non GG & AW ACWs as we already know that 4 are WWs. So the above system isn't a total bust, especially if their are no GG or AW ACWs systems nearby.
(acronym explainers below! ;))

So bagofholding, got any other nuggets of information?:) How did you know that 1 btw?

Checking ACW types (Gas Giant, Ammonia World, Rocky Body, Water world, Water Giant , High Metal Content world, Icy Body)
TS ... Type
001 RBx3, GGx2,
002 GGx2
003 GG
004 RB, AW
005 AW, GG
006 GG
007 GGx2
008 GG
009 AW
010 GGx2
011 AW
012 GG
013 GG
014 GG
015 GG
016 GG
017 GG
018 GG
019 GGx2
020 GG
021 RBx3, GG, WW, HMC, AW (lots here!)
022 GG
023 AW
024 GGx2
025 GG
026 GG
027 GG
028 GG
029 GG
030 GG

Oh btw, I'd appreciate any help on checking the remaining TS sites :) , use this 3D map (not in IE), & EDSM to check.
And if anyone does, please post which sites you've checked (by TS number) & use the above used acronyms [up]

Last edited:
Not seeing anything, think I need to be logged in.
And yea it takes 2-3hrs just to search 1 small moon! It is a long haul project ;).

Hey! Im starting to find a correlation between Nitrogen and these systems. If there isnt the presence of an Ammonia World, then there is usually another planet with Nitrogen on it. https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/7prabk/a_look_into_thargoid_anatomy_new_hypothesis/ <---- Iv started typing out my findings.
Interesting :), I don't suppose it's just a common correlation between the 2 gases?
Keep us updated, good luck! [up]

Last edited:
I have created a spreadheet with all known systems between 100 and 150ly of Merope over 8000 of them.

If anyone using the USS Survey visits one of these then they are marked as visited. Also if USS are discovered. Not all planets have been scanned so we might find more candidates in here.

The sheet shows the distance from the nearest TSS so the one furthest away are in the Gaps in the 3D map

You can sort columns A through F without breaking the other columns but you might need to make a copy of the sheet.

Here it is

Nice :cool:, that's a lot of systems! :eek:

I'm adding a lookup for GGWABL AW and WWA so you can go and pick out likely candidates but I want to visit all of them because EDSM wont be fully up to date.

There are some odd ones out we need to check EDSM has all bodies

HIP 21251 -- Doesn't have ammonia at all
HIP 18730 -- Rocky Body Ammonia rich

Before I got into the TS sites I remember reading in the last cannon thread that 1 of the systems initially appeared to have no ammonia, but then someone spotted that 1 body had a small amount (0.1% perhaps) of Ammonia in its atmosphere, I bet it's HIP 21251.
I was mapping around Polaris last night & found a planet there in an HIP system which had a predominantly methane atmosphere, but it also had 0.1% Ammonia, EDSM listed it as a Methane atmosphere, you had to click on the 'i' to see the Ammonia component.
Which complicates matters! This is a royal PITA!, that now means if we have a TS system (or candidate system) with no GG or AW we have to checkout the information of each atmospheric planet to look for ammonia :p.
Can your lookup do that?? That said, TS at these systems seems to be rare (with the data I've checked so far), so for now I think we can just ignore them, at least until we've picked the low hanging fruit anyway ;).

HIP 18730 does indeed have a RB with ammonia, but if you look at the info for planet 5 (an HMC) it too has an ammonia component (31%) to it's atmosphere.
HIP 21251 7 (HMC) has 0.17% Ammonia (this system has a black hole in it btw!)

Last edited:
I am screen scraping the advanced search function and could search for amonia atmosphere and add that to the sheet.

HIP 21251 has ten bodies missing from EDSM so we will probably discover some ammonia when I have scanned them all.

Yea fair enough.

Update to the ACWs check...
Checking ACW types (Gas Giant, Ammonia World, Rocky Body, Water World, Water Giant , High Metal Content world, Icy Body)
TS ... Type
001 RB x3, GG x2,
002 GG x2
003 GG
004 RB, AW
005 AW, GG
006 GG
007 GG x2
008 GG
009 AW
010 GG x2
011 AW
012 GG
013 GG
014 GG
015 GG
016 GG
017 GG
018 GG
019 GG x2
020 GG
021 RB x3, GG, WW, HMC, AW (lots here!)
022 GG
023 AW
024 GG x2
025 GG
026 GG
027 GG
028 GG
029 GG
030 GG (from here for on for non GG & AW systems, I've checked detailed information ('i') in EDSM. *And these systems)
031 HMC, GG*
032 WW, GG
033 GG, RB x2, IB*
034 HMC, AW, IB*
035 AW
036 RB, GG, IB*
037 AW
038 AW, RB, IB x2*
039 GG
040 WW, AW
041 GG, IB
042 GG
043 RB x2, GG

059 WW, RB

071 HMC

092 WW, RB
093 RB, HMC

115 RB, WWx2, IB,

148 WW, HMC

I was going to do more, but EDSM is running really slow atm! :(

Last edited:
I've updated the spreadsheet with the star class and all ammonia systems.

There are bunch of potential candidates. I think we need to pull together a list of checked sites.

Top Bottom